Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice pls.

Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice pls.

Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:02 am
Banned

annai111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice pls.

Hi,

When we submit the application, do we need to state explicitly let us a say a letter stating - why I want to immigrate and substantiate the reasons with personal profile/resume/(like qualification/expertise in a specific domain/in what way I can contribute to the nation etc).

As I am planning to apply on my own I wanted to have expert advice on what I should do with the application -- whether it is ok to just fill the application and the relevant documents and letters (why I cannot produce reference letter from my current employer etc) or

is it mandatory to write a letter to substantiating our case for the PR application.

Please advice.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2005, 1:53 am
Can I go now!?

OzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really niceOzRob is just really nice
Default Re: Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice pls.

Originally Posted by annai111
Hi,

When we submit the application, do we need to state explicitly let us a say a letter stating - why I want to immigrate and substantiate the reasons with personal profile/resume/(like qualification/expertise in a specific domain/in what way I can contribute to the nation etc).

As I am planning to apply on my own I wanted to have expert advice on what I should do with the application -- whether it is ok to just fill the application and the relevant documents and letters (why I cannot produce reference letter from my current employer etc) or

is it mandatory to write a letter to substantiating our case for the PR application.

Please advice.

Thanks
It is not compulsory to submit a cover letter but I don't think it hurts either. I think that attaching one is a great way of highlighting your skills to be successful in Canada. But then again I am not an expert. I am speaking from my own experience and what I have gathered from this forum.

I would suggest having the explanation for not submitting a reference from your current employer separate from the cover letter. This would ensure that this important information is not over-looked.

Good luck with your application.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:06 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice pls.

Hi,

Please advice.

Thanks
I included a cover letter in my application, but I only stated that I'm applying for permenant residency and then I listed the documents I attached in support of my application.

In my opinion, your application should follow the directions given in the Buffalo guide. I wouldn't provide anything less than what they are asking for, but in the same time I wouldn't provide things they didn't ask for. I know I would be frustrated if I was an immigration officer and I was reading through unnecessary documents. Just be professional, I don't think the officer is looking for an essay on why you are in love with Canada, or why Canada is going to be better with you there! Let your degrees and your well organized application do the talking for you!

These are my 2 cents!
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MJ23
I included a cover letter in my application, but I only stated that I'm applying for permenant residency and then I listed the documents I attached in support of my application.

In my opinion, your application should follow the directions given in the Buffalo guide. I wouldn't provide anything less than what they are asking for, but in the same time I wouldn't provide things they didn't ask for. I know I would be frustrated if I was an immigration officer and I was reading through unnecessary documents. Just be professional, I don't think the officer is looking for an essay on why you are in love with Canada, or why Canada is going to be better with you there! Let your degrees and your well organized application do the talking for you!

These are my 2 cents!

while, you are right. however, they do read any written piece from you to assess your written English proficiency to determine your language mark.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:10 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by macoy
while, you are right. however, they do read any written piece from you to assess your written English proficiency to determine your language mark.
You have to take the IELT for that. I didn't take the test, but I wrote a letter stating why I'm proficient in English. That was a gamble on my part, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

You have to take the IELT for that. I didn't take the test, but I wrote a letter stating why I'm proficient in English. That was a gamble on my part, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
if you would like to or you are required, u could always go ahead to take the "conclusive tests", but you do not have to. everything you submit speaks for you.

personally, I did not submit IELTS score but only wrote a letter to convince the visa officer why I am qualified. I do not take it as a gamble but just another approach to prove yourself.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Applied Nov 24, 03 (Buffalo)
AOR Dec 31, 03
IA July 22, 04
Med+FBI Aug 25, 04
PPR Come to Daddy!
my friend's timeline is pretty close to yours but with about one month and half ahead. she has not received anything after the medical.

it is kind of longer than the regular processing time. good luck
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice

I dont think so, just mention as MJ23 said mention that I am applying under tel et tel category and such and such class. That should be enough.

Good Luck
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Do we need a letter stating the reason why I should be granted PR- Expert Advice

Originally Posted by bhalerao
I dont think so, just mention as MJ23 said mention that I am applying under tel et tel category and such and such class. That should be enough.

Good Luck
one could just go with whatever one is comfortable with
Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please advice.

Thanks
Nothing is mandatory for extra info but ensure nothing from CIC list is missed out. Info which may clear the mind of the CIC officer is:

Why Canada, why PR, understanding of likely timeline, research trips undertaken and other research info which supports your PR application (visits to target areas etc), explanation of how your settlement funds are sourced and how much you plan to use as settlement funds to set up your life in Canada (ie prjection of costs to get there, flights and shipping furniture, hotel costs, car rental, rent deposit, other set up costs, remaining deposit for house, savings left and emergency funds, etc) any family or friends you have as a support network in canada to help you settle, plus known immigrant resources in target province, knowledge of particular labour market and your skills being in demand, projection of known monthly expentiture versus likely income (to prove likelihood of survival in Canada after arrival).
This doesn't have to be a bleedin dissertation but a bullet point background letter will surely provide clear and concise knowledge and further evidence to the CIC officer looking at your case, and would expect that such a letter would put you ahead of the pack where others submit same application without additional info. This I would guess is the key difference between many 'DIY applications' and those comprehensively undertaken at a cost to applicant by immigration laywers with many years of experience. Laywers need solid evidence to prove a case, immigration is no different really.

Your call, best of luck.

Rich.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 8:45 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

This is not really professional advise, but more of what felt right to me.

I wrote a short cover letter (1 page in large print) in which I described our motivation to go and why we feel that there will be a win-win relationship between Canada and our Family.

For me this was something I felt I had to do, even if it is completely irrellevant to the process, which I do not believe it is.

CIC officers are humans and they are influenced by everything they read. In the end as Andrew has said 2% of cases are decided not on points but on substitute evaluation, which essencially is the CIC officers judgement if you can become a contributing part of canadian society. In that case, a good cover letter may go a long way.