Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do we have 12 Months to use the IEC visa?

Do we have 12 Months to use the IEC visa?

Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:15 am
Just Joined

harj22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we have 12 Months to use the IEC visa?

Hi all,
Sorry for the constant questions, but feel that people on this forum always have useful information and advice. Was wondering if the IEC visa is issued then how long do we have before its "officially" becomes valid? Is it as soon as we get the letter confirmation from the embassy or when the work permit is issued? if it is when the work permit is issued on arrival in Canada, then do we have a certain time validity in which to use this? 3, 6 or 12 months?
Also, was wondering, how likely is it of getting a work permit whilst on the IEC visa in canada or is it just dependant on occupation and employer. I work in IT and have over 5 years experience with a degree. But rather then look at the IEC as a temporary move, I'd ideally like to settle in Canada and am hoping of finding a job where the employer would sponsor me for a work permit. Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Canuckinuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we have 12 Months to use the IEC visa?

Originally Posted by harj22
Hi all,
Sorry for the constant questions, but feel that people on this forum always have useful information and advice. Was wondering if the IEC visa is issued then how long do we have before its "officially" becomes valid? Is it as soon as we get the letter confirmation from the embassy or when the work permit is issued? if it is when the work permit is issued on arrival in Canada, then do we have a certain time validity in which to use this? 3, 6 or 12 months?
Also, was wondering, how likely is it of getting a work permit whilst on the IEC visa in canada or is it just dependant on occupation and employer. I work in IT and have over 5 years experience with a degree. But rather then look at the IEC as a temporary move, I'd ideally like to settle in Canada and am hoping of finding a job where the employer would sponsor me for a work permit. Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
You have 12 months from when you get your iec visa to begin using it. Then you have 12 months to work in Canada. Which province are you looking to settle in? Some provinces have schemes to immigrate to that province. Basically if you have worked there for over 6 months and would like to apply for Permanent Residency they will help you with your application to the Federal government. They pay the fees and help you will the process. That would probably be a good route for you as long as the province you want to settle in has a scheme like this. The provinces that currently have these schemes are:
Alberta
Manitoba
Newfoundland and Labrador
Prince Edward Island
Yukon
British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

harj22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, thank you so much. I just wanted to make sure of when the visa can be used. Ideally I would not want to leave just yet maybe in another 6 months IF i get the visa. Oh wow, I'll have a look at the individual provinces and research that. Thats for the tip! much appreciated
Old Feb 6th 2011, 6:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuckinuk
You have 12 months from when you get your iec visa to begin using it. Then you have 12 months to work in Canada. Which province are you looking to settle in? Some provinces have schemes to immigrate to that province. Basically if you have worked there for over 6 months and would like to apply for Permanent Residency they will help you with your application to the Federal government. They pay the fees and help you will the process. That would probably be a good route for you as long as the province you want to settle in has a scheme like this. The provinces that currently have these schemes are:
Alberta
Manitoba
Newfoundland and Labrador
Prince Edward Island
Yukon
British Columbia
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Saskatchewan
Do you have a link for further information on this by any chance?
Old Feb 6th 2011, 7:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp has links to all the PNP programs, some of them are for specific types of employment, some require 6 months working for an employer etc.

PEI seem to have a shortage of skilled applicants

The following occupations have been identified as skill shortages on Prince Edward Island. Your opportunities for employment are increased If your skills are in one of these areas, or (depending on the occupation) you are prepared to train for one of these positions.

Aerospace Technician
Auto Service Technician
Carpenter
Construction Engineer
CNC/ Precision Machinists
Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
Game Developers
General Practitioner of Medicine
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Industrial Electrician
Long Haul Truck Drivers
Manufacturing Workers
Medical Lab Technologist
Metal Fabricator
Pharmacist
Plumber
Quality Assurance Inspectors
Radiation Therapist
Registered Nurse
Respiratory Therapist
Social Worker
Software Developers
Speech Language Pathologist
Welder

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 6th 2011 at 7:34 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:21 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK, I thought they might be referring to PNP. I think Ontario has a PNP program as well, albeit primarily aimed towards masters grads from that province.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Geordie86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Guys!

With regards to the above conversation.... I have a quick question. I currently have my FSW visa being processed (have been accepted), its just going to take another 6months to finalise or so...

Do you know if it is possible to still apply for the IEC and travel to Canada on this? I cant seem to find the information anywhere....

Thanks for your help guys
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Hey Guys!

With regards to the above conversation.... I have a quick question. I currently have my FSW visa being processed (have been accepted), its just going to take another 6months to finalise or so...

Do you know if it is possible to still apply for the IEC and travel to Canada on this? I cant seem to find the information anywhere....

yes
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

scoobydoo123 is an unknown quantity at this point

So just to confirm because this is really playing on my mind, I got my letter of introduction on the 25th of Febuary 2011 so as long as I enter canada by the 24th of Febuary 2012 I will get a 12 month work permit valid from the 24th of Febuary 2012? Sorry about going over this again, how did you get you're work permit when you arrived in Canada anyone who has already made the move?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo123
So just to confirm because this is really playing on my mind, I got my letter of introduction on the 25th of Febuary 2011 so as long as I enter canada by the 24th of Febuary 2012 I will get a 12 month work permit valid from the 24th of Febuary 2012? Sorry about going over this again, how did you get you're work permit when you arrived in Canada anyone who has already made the move?

Thanks in advance
it says on your letter of introduction the exact date which you must enter Canada by.

Mine is a few days less than 12 months from the date i received the letter.

you get 12 months from the date you activate your visa.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

scoobydoo123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply, so in essence you get a 12 month work permit from the day you enter Canada providing you enter within the 12 months of entering Canada? Sorry to sound stupid I just want to be perfectly clear on the matter as it only briefly mentioned it on the letter of introduction.

Thanks again
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie86
Hey Guys!

If Cat 1, then yes, if Cat 2, then no, it will complicate your application as IECs are not valid for FSW2 applications.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo123
Thanks for the quick reply, so in essence you get a 12 month work permit from the day you enter Canada providing you enter within the 12 months of entering Canada? Sorry to sound stupid I just want to be perfectly clear on the matter as it only briefly mentioned it on the letter of introduction.

Thanks again
yes
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Oh OK, I thought they might be referring to PNP. I think Ontario has a PNP program as well, albeit primarily aimed towards masters grads from that province.
Yes, Ontario do have a PNP program - Opportunities Ontario. Whilst one arm of it is for grads from the province, the other arm is aimed at skilled workers.

One of the original replies stated that the provinces also pay your fees under the PNP schemes. Not really sure on the accuracy of that, but unfortunately for me, I can categorically state that Opportunities Ontario do not pay any kind of fees for you. In fact, you have to pay them $1,500 to get your nomination .