Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do PR Visas expire when passports expire?

Do PR Visas expire when passports expire?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future
Default Do PR Visas expire when passports expire?

Hi all,

We've had our medicals and are now hoping that everything is OK and that our PPRs are on their way and then the visas should follow (hopefully).

I have read somewhere on a thread here that visas expire once the passport expires. Is this true?
My worry is that my son's passport expires later this year and that if we don't get to land by then, will his visa be void?

Should we renew now and risk delaying the visas or am I worrying about nothing?

Tamsin
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:22 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do PR Visas expire when passports expire?

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
Hi all,

We've had our medicals and are now hoping that everything is OK and that our PPRs are on their way and then the visas should follow (hopefully).

I have read somewhere on a thread here that visas expire once the passport expires. Is this true?
My worry is that my son's passport expires later this year and that if we don't get to land by then, will his visa be void?

Should we renew now and risk delaying the visas or am I worrying about nothing?

Tamsin
Yes, the visa is only valid until the expiry date on the passport. Thats why they generally always recommend you renew your passports if they have less than a year of validity before you send them off to have your PR visas issued.

If you havent got the visas yet then I suggest renewing the passport first.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do PR Visas expire when passports expire?

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Yes, the visa is only valid until the expiry date on the passport. Thats why they generally always recommend you renew your passports if they have less than a year of validity before you send them off to have your PR visas issued.

If you havent got the visas yet then I suggest renewing the passport first.
Thanks for this Paul,

Applying for renewal as I type!!

Tamsin