Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

do I write UK/England or Great Britain?

do I write UK/England or Great Britain?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

hannahrocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do I write UK/England or Great Britain?

Hi,

I've nearly finished fill in all the forms for my PR appilication and have come across another hurdle:

I am from England but have filled in all the countries as the United Kingdom? I'm concerned that I haven't filled it in correctly. Should I have written England or Great Britain instead or the United Kingdom OK? Also, if I write UK instead of United Kingdom is this OK?

Thank's

Hannah
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:24 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do I write UK/England or Great Britain?

Originally Posted by hannahrocks
Hi,

I've nearly finished fill in all the forms for my PR appilication and have come across another hurdle:

I am from England but have filled in all the countries as the United Kingdom? I'm concerned that I haven't filled it in correctly. Should I have written England or Great Britain instead or the United Kingdom OK? Also, if I write UK instead of United Kingdom is this OK?

Thank's

Hannah
Hi

I used United Kingdom. I only used 'UK' in the tables linked to personal history - like where was I a member of an organisation etc & that was to fit the info in.

My forms have only just arrived in Sydney so I haven't heard yet on any problems - might be a couple of months before I do.

Good luck
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thank's

Hannah
Great Britain is just the island. You're actually from the country known as the United Kingdom. UK is an acceptable and widely used abbreviation.

I don't think there would be any problem stating you're from "England"; it might get up the jocks' nose, but that's no reason not to do it .
Old Oct 31st 2009, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

On my husbands app, we put England for country, as UK is not a country in itself but made up of more then 1 country..
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Ok, well I guess there is no right answer lol.

Considering my passport doesn't mention England anywhere I think I'll stick with the United Kingdom. I mean, CIC surely know what the UK is, or at least have a list of countries constituting the UK if they weren't sure?

I googled my question again this morning and have found information saying that immigration lawyers recommend their clients to use United Kingdom

Thanks for the help!!
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well I guess there is no right answer lol.

Considering my passport doesn't mention England anywhere I think I'll stick with the United Kingdom. I mean, CIC surely know what the UK is, or at least have a list of countries constituting the UK if they weren't sure?
One would hope so. Like they would be expected to have a list of American or Australian states.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JAJ
One would hope so. Like they would be expected to have a list of American or Australian states.
IMHO they are 4 separate countries. but rather than argue the point, make sure when you check ecas you use the country name rather than the United Kingdom or you won't get a result.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

I think, from what I've been reading today, that the United Kingdom is considered to be the country. When you look at countries which constitute the EU, UK is listed rather than the 4 countries from which it is comprised.

I'm sticking with UK and if they don't accept that I'll be REALLY shocked.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:00 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Wales and I used UK, no problem although on ECAS it holds me as coming from england
Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

IMHO they are 4 separate countries. but rather than argue the point, make sure when you check ecas you use the country name rather than the United Kingdom or you won't get a result.
So Gordon Brown is Prime Minister of which country? It is officially
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
If you use GB, UK or England/Scotland/Wales/NI I'm sure all assessment officers will recognise where you're from.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:44 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration data system uses the 4 "nations" - England, Scotland etc.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

We used United Kingdom and it was fine.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zednought
You're actually from the country known as the United Kingdom
This is incorrect. The UK comprises 4 countries; England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain is all but Ireland. However for the purpose of your form I don't think anyone is going to split hairs. If you put UK that should be fine, as I don't believe they care much where within the UK you come from.

But from a purist perspective, UK is NOT a country, but England certainly is. And people should feel proud in clarifying this in my opinion.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
This is incorrect. The UK comprises 4 countries; England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain is all but Ireland. However for the purpose of your form I don't think anyone is going to split hairs. If you put UK that should be fine, as I don't believe they care much where within the UK you come from.

But from a purist perspective, UK is NOT a country, but England certainly is. And people should feel proud in clarifying this in my opinion.
The internationally recognised sovereign country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.