Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to include my spouses's daughter

Do I need to include my spouses's daughter

Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Do I need to include my spouses's daughter

Hi Folks

Applying for FSW. For the children part. My partner has ONE daughter. She is 20 years old - not dependent on us.

Do we have to include her on the app ie photos, her birth certificate etc

Or was that only for dependent children?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to include my spouses's daughter

Originally Posted by floatsy
Hi Folks

Applying for FSW. For the children part. My partner has ONE daughter. She is 20 years old - not dependent on us.

Do we have to include her on the app ie photos, her birth certificate etc

Or was that only for dependent children?

Many thanks!
Note that in CIC's eyes, 'dependent children' are any aged 22 or under, her being 20 makes no difference.

But is she going to accompany you? If not, will your partner be likely to want to sponsor her in the future for PR?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Do I need to include my spouses's daughter

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Note that in CIC's eyes, 'dependent children' are any aged 22 or under, her being 20 makes no difference.

But is she going to accompany you? If not, will your partner be likely to want to sponsor her in the future for PR?
Oops 22 OK

christmasoompa, the answer is no and no.

I saw that I would have to write an affidavit with my partner that we wouldn't. If we do so though, does this mean I could exclude her from the process (as getting her birth certificate, photos etc is a lot more work at the moment)

Thoughts?
Old Jun 11th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry to be a nag but does anyone know this.
(We are collating forms tonight as the daughter is in and out of country)

So we do not take her along with us.

But therefore can we exclude her from the information eg. her birth cert, passport photos etc etc

Thanks
floatsy
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

You have to include your step-daughters information if she is under 22 on the date the application is received by CIC, unless she is married or living in a common-law relationship.

As long as you read the instructions on the application and abide by them you should be fine. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/EG7.pdf and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37023.pdf

The official manual can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf

If in doubt ... read again, then ask questions.

You and your family members, whether they will be accompanying you or not, must undergo and pass a medical examination
Provide personal details about your family members, whether they intend to accompany you to Canada or not
Background information: This form must be completed by: + your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).
Additional family information: This form must be completed by: + your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

You do not have to include the passport copies if non-accompanying, but it's simple enough to photocopy them when she is here.

Receiving the application at the CIO

Applications received at the CIO will first be reviewed for completeness pursuant to R10, including the following required forms, fees, information and documents:

 required forms, including a signed and completed IMM 0008E GEN containing the name, birth date, address, nationality, marital status and current immigration status of the applicant and all family members (whether accompanying or not), and identifying the principal applicant, properly completed Schedule 1‘s for the principal applicant, his or her spouse or common-law partner and all dependent children aged 18 and older listed on the IMM 0008, as well as a properly completed Schedule 3 for the principal applicant

Unless it is absolutely certain that your step daughter will never want to emigrate to Canada I would strongly recommend adding her to the application as accompanying!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 11th 2011 at 2:50 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou siouxie. I have read those (bar the Wiki) but will try to find the answers again.

Best,
f.