Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Did anyone know the answer to this, please?

Did anyone know the answer to this, please?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Wink Did anyone know the answer to this, please?

Open University Diploma?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, nooby here!

Currently have A-levels as my highest level of education, so have been studying towards an OU degree. Cutting a long story short...I noticed tonight that the OU offer a "Diploma in Computing" requiring 120 points which I believe equates to 2 years of full-time study.

Question: would this diploma & my study up to A-levels count as the "2 year diploma & 14 years of study" worth 20 points?

Please say yes as this would get us the required 67 points!

Thanks in advance...

Ade
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:21 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did anyone know the answer to this, please?

Hi,

I have the afore mentioned diploma. I went on to complete the OU degree but the degree in total equated to 3 years full time study so the diploma should count as 2 years. May be worth contacting the OU for back up information to support your application. Perhaps a copy of the CAT point system to demonstrate that it is accepted by any university in UK as equivalent to 2 years study would help.

Originally Posted by scollis
Open University Diploma?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, nooby here!

Currently have A-levels as my highest level of education, so have been studying towards an OU degree. Cutting a long story short...I noticed tonight that the OU offer a "Diploma in Computing" requiring 120 points which I believe equates to 2 years of full-time study.

Question: would this diploma & my study up to A-levels count as the "2 year diploma & 14 years of study" worth 20 points?

Please say yes as this would get us the required 67 points!

Thanks in advance...

Ade
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your help. Can I assume you were the main applicant and that you applied with the diploma?
Sorry to pry!

Sonia
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:19 am

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

No problem,

Yes I was the main applicant but I actually used the degree as 3 years study - I provided evidence for the modules covered. I also included a note from the OU that stated that each module studied at a full credit entailed 14 hours of study per week etc. I can see no reason why you should not get two years if I got three for thre degree.

Originally Posted by scollis
Thanks for your help. Can I assume you were the main applicant and that you applied with the diploma?
Sorry to pry!

Sonia
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:08 am
Just Joined

we-will-get-there-one-day is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, me back again (original poster but thanks to Mum for bumping it and getting it noticed! ),

Re the 2 years-ness of it - someone else has replied elsewhere stating that it's only the equivalent of a 1-year diploma, which I guess makes sense as it's 120 points compared to a 3 yr degree being 360 points.

Well that'll leave us 5 points short for applying - so hurry up and get PR Mum!

Rgds

Ade
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:26 am

O over looked the 120 points. The diploma I obtained required more points - however that may have been because when they first bought it in some of us obtained it the same year because of the units we had already studied toward the degree and at that point a foundation course was required as well as the three computing units.

Originally Posted by we-will-get-there-one-day
Hi guys, me back again (original poster but thanks to Mum for bumping it and getting it noticed! ),

Re the 2 years-ness of it - someone else has replied elsewhere stating that it's only the equivalent of a 1-year diploma, which I guess makes sense as it's 120 points compared to a 3 yr degree being 360 points.

Well that'll leave us 5 points short for applying - so hurry up and get PR Mum!

Rgds

Ade