Diabetes/health problems and IEC

Old Mar 8th 2013, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

abbierebecca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diabetes/health problems and IEC

Originally Posted by tee1
My mate has type one and her mum just posts everything over. If you have a repeat prescription just do the same. I have medication posted over too and neither of us have had a problem with customs
I'd also call the docs just before you leave and tell a little white lie saying you have lost your med's and need to get them replaced so you can start and build up a stock pile. Not ideal I know but the best way too get around the stupid 2 month money spinning prescription rule
Hey! This is super useful, I think I now have a way round it but do you know how your friends mum ships the insulin over? Its just not supposed to go in the hold on a plane coz it could freeze and become useless, and it has to be kept refridgerated - that was my plan B that I couldn get around!
I cant tell a little white lie to the doctor because i just made a huge fuss to them this week!!! Haha oh well, all will work out. And worst case, I buy a couple of months' worth!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:25 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbierebecca
Thanks, Im not actually from the UK, and I have of course checked the price of all my medication in the UK and it works out the same if not slightly more than Canada. I wasnt willing to pay for it privately in the UK so wont be paying in Canada either!
Why would you not expect to pay for it in Canada? You want to come here on a working holiday, to your beenfit, then expect us, the Canadian taxpayers to pick up the bill because you don't want to pay for it?

You could always stay where you are and perhaps getting it for free.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
Why would you not expect to pay for it in Canada? You want to come here on a working holiday, to your beenfit, then expect us, the Canadian taxpayers to pick up the bill because you don't want to pay for it?

You could always stay where you are and perhaps getting it for free.
Its all sorted now so no need to get upset or angry! I get your point, I've grown up in a country where our health care system works well for the citizens. So maybe ive been spoilt by being able to get medication that keeps me alive!
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Its all sorted now so no need to get upset or angry! I get your point, I've grown up in a country where our health care system works well for the citizens. So maybe ive been spoilt by being able to get medication that keeps me alive!
See the highlighted part there? That's what you should be concentrating on. You're not a citizen of Canada - not even a resident! Why should you get free health care when you're essentially a visitor?

Would I, as a Canadian get free health care and medications in your country if I came over on a working holiday?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
See the highlighted part there? That's what you should be concentrating on. You're not a citizen of Canada - not even a resident! Why should you get free health care when you're essentially a visitor?

Would I, as a Canadian get free health care and medications in your country if I came over on a working holiday?
...If you pay into NI through your employer I believe you do? On the WHM visa anyway.

Also anyone, I think, is entitled to free emergency care. Not that I know a lot, but still. Medications, nah, obviously not.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyke
...If you pay into NI through your employer I believe you do? On the WHM visa anyway.

Also anyone, I think, is entitled to free emergency care. Not that I know a lot, but still. Medications, nah, obviously not.
The OP said he's not from UK.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

hayleyke is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP said he's not from UK.
Aw that's embarrassing I just assumed, given the forum, I should get more sleep, sorry!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

I believe, (not 100% sure about canada but i know this works for friends from other countries and ones more obscure!) is that as long as you register with a doctor while you're here (which you do for free as long as you're on some kind of visa and have insurance for emergencies) then you pay a maximum cost for any prescription of what works out to be less than $5
Give that a prescription covers 2 months and your working holiday visa would be a year, $30 for a year seems a lot more reasonable than somewhere between $3,500 and $4,500
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
My mate has type one and her mum just posts everything over. If you have a repeat prescription just do the same. I have medication posted over too and neither of us have had a problem with customs
I'd also call the docs just before you leave and tell a little white lie saying you have lost your med's and need to get them replaced so you can start and build up a stock pile. Not ideal I know but the best way too get around the stupid 2 month money spinning prescription rule
So, the taxpayers in the UK have to pay for something that your mate is not prepared to pay for him/herself? Charming.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, (not 100% sure about canada but i know this works for friends from other countries and ones more obscure!) is that as long as you register with a doctor while you're here (which you do for free as long as you're on some kind of visa and have insurance for emergencies) then you pay a maximum cost for any prescription of what works out to be less than $5
Give that a prescription covers 2 months and your working holiday visa would be a year, $30 for a year seems a lot more reasonable than somewhere between $3,500 and $4,500
Good luck with that.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Not in Canada.
1. It is next to impossible to get registered with a doctor, unless very lucky. You end up using walk in clinics.

2. Canadians have to pay for prescriptions (full price, unless they have insurance), registered with a doctor or not, so a visitor would be no exception.

3. To register and retain eligibility for medical services you have to be a resident of the province you are getting medical coverage from. Temporary absences excluded.

The $3500-$4500 the OP mentioned is more likely than $30, in Canada anyway.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Good luck with that.
Notice that I was answering a question about how it would work if a Canadian came here. I realise I will not be paying $30 for a years medication in Canada - hence starting this thread (to find a way around spending $3,500+)... Anyway, as mentioned a couple of times I have found a way round it now
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Notice that I was answering a question about how it would work if a Canadian came here.
Which is not far off the same as if you were working in Canada in a job with healthcare benefits. So basically, as a visitor it would be the same in either country.

Anyway, as mentioned a couple of times I have found a way round it now
A fraudulent way around it, yes. You're not entitled to prescription medicine in your home country unless you're resident there, which you won't be if you're living in Canada.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Which is not far off the same as if you were working in Canada in a job with healthcare benefits. So basically, as a visitor it would be the same in either country.

A fraudulent way around it, yes. You're not entitled to prescription medicine in your home country unless you're resident there, which you won't be if you're living in Canada.
It wont be fraudulent actually as the entire time I will be in Canada I am still self employed and running a business at home. Therefore paying NI at home while im in canada. Soooo... please dont call me fraudulent without the facts. From this thread and other research I am by far and away not the only person who has not paid for medication while living in the US/Canada.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It wont be fraudulent actually as the entire time I will be in Canada I am still self employed and running a business at home. Therefore paying NI at home while im in canada. Soooo... please dont call me fraudulent without the facts. From this thread and other research I am by far and away not the only person who has not paid for medication while living in the US/Canada.
You're still not resident there, it doesn't matter if you're paying taxes or not. Not resident = not eligible for healthcare.

Whether you're the only person to do it or not doesn't make it right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.