Wikiposts

Dental Therapist

Old May 14th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Dental Therapist

My friend has just qualified as a dental therapist.

She would like to know if she would be eligible to emigrate to Canada with this qualification. It is an Occupation in demand in Ontario.

We read that a 2 year couse would have to be retaken in Canada for dentists, she however is just a dental therapist and would like to know what the requirements would be in order for her to go out there.

Thanks for any help given
Old May 14th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

HelNAl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dental Therapist

Originally Posted by act1980
My friend has just qualified as a dental therapist.

She would like to know if she would be eligible to emigrate to Canada with this qualification. It is an Occupation in demand in Ontario.

We read that a 2 year couse would have to be retaken in Canada for dentists, she however is just a dental therapist and would like to know what the requirements would be in order for her to go out there.

Thanks for any help given
Hi,
She will need to contact the relevant association in whichever province she is interested in,we have a canadian girl working for us as a dental nurse because we don't recognise her canadian therapist qualification here in England.Also I'm a qualified dental nurse and Canada does not accept my english qualification so I will have to sit their eqivalent when I get there.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don't suppose you would know who she would need to contact in Onatrio?

Many thanks.

Originally Posted by HelNAl
Hi,
She will need to contact the relevant association in whichever province she is interested in,we have a canadian girl working for us as a dental nurse because we don't recognise her canadian therapist qualification here in England.Also I'm a qualified dental nurse and Canada does not accept my english qualification so I will have to sit their eqivalent when I get there.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never heard of a dental therapist until 5mins ago, the OH reckons you can work "up North" and "maybe in Manitoba", if of course, at all having a foreign qual. He wondered if you could drop back to hygienist and requal. as that instead? Dental therapy seems to be all about filling a gap in areas you won't find a dentist, so it's all remote places.

I googled and found this with regard to Ontario:-

Dental therapists practising in provinces with no provincial licensures are employed by the federal government and have licensure coverage from the supervising Dental Officer. Insurance liabilities coverage is provided by the federal government since the dental therapists are employed within federal jurisdictions such First Nations communities. The provinces of Ontario and Quebec currently do not employ dental therapists. If you want more general information on dental therapists, you may contact the CDTA at:
Canadian Dental Therapists Association (CDTA)
P.O. Box 2275
Fort MacLeod AB T0L 0Z0 Canada
Email : [email protected]
http://www.dentaltherapists.ca/

Also this link - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...searchkey=3222 - seems there's only 1 dental therapy school? Maybe a 2nd in Manitoba?

Last edited by Biiiiink; May 14th 2008 at 2:35 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Tell her to go to the web page www.detaltherapist.ca and this has a list of all the people to contact on their contact page,Charlotte Jacobs seems to be the one for Ontario.I am also heading to Ontario this summer and the association for my job were very helpful.
I notice you're in Basingstoke are you in dentistry? I work for community in Southampton. If you want any more info and I am able to help ,let me know.
Helen
Old May 14th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am wondering if the job title is different in Canada? Maybe it comes under dental hygienist?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'd never heard of a dental therapist until 5mins ago, the OH reckons you can work "up North" and "maybe in Manitoba", if of course, at all having a foreign qual. He wondered if you could drop back to hygienist and requal. as that instead? Dental therapy seems to be all about filling a gap in areas you won't find a dentist, so it's all remote places.

Dental therapists practising in provinces with no provincial licensures are employed by the federal government and have licensure coverage from the supervising Dental Officer. Insurance liabilities coverage is provided by the federal government since the dental therapists are employed within federal jurisdictions such First Nations communities. The provinces of Ontario and Quebec currently do not employ dental therapists. If you want more general information on dental therapists, you may contact the CDTA at:
P.O. Box 2275

Also this link - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC-CNP/app/...searchkey=3222 - seems there's only 1 dental therapy school? Maybe a 2nd in Manitoba?
Old May 14th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

P.O. Box 2275

actualy there was an interesting discussion about this on the CBC radio just recently

it was about Dentex a dental therapy training programme in Alaska. of course i know this is the USA however it was realy interesting to hear about it. and if memory serves me right about the chatter that influences what may happen or be happening here in Canada.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?s=6359165
Old May 14th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Go to the "horses mouth" www.cdha.ca and ask them to point you in the right direction re hygienists,Biiiiink is right ,Our canadian nurse is a therapist in Quebec.
Helen