Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry to USA. Will the Canadian border patrol know this?

There is no formal list of what is a CIMT, it's subjective and different appeals courts have applied it in different ways. There is guidance on what a CIMT can be but it's an issue that comes up in court quite frequently. At least the Canadian definition is clearer.

Also the US prohibits anyone who has committed an "aggravated felony" from the US, and that means a crime that can be punished by more than one year in prison and involves an element of violence. At one point they put an adopted German woman into removal proceedings who had been involved in a fight as a teenager in school and been ticketed for it, she only avoided being removed because the governor of Georgia pardoned her. At one point they were applying this to DUIs and there is evidence since Trump's EO on internal enforcement they've gone back to applying to it to DUIs.

So it might be a theoretical ten year sentence under Canadian law, but it's a one-year theoretical sentence under US law.

Anyway you've reminded me why I was so keen on getting citizenship, because I was always worried I'd accidentally run someone over during winter and get deported!
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Being given a warning, is neither a conviction nor a criminal record.

You would have to have been in a court of law in front of a judge, there must have been a charge and a sentence, either jail, or a fine and it must have been criminal, not a misdemeanor.

The question is "or... or.... or.... for any criminal offense in any country or territory". Thus, I'd say, the answer is no. That is, unless in your country of origin one can be charged and jailed without a trial.... And yes, there are countries like that. But given the fact that you are most likely British and this happended in the UK, I'd say, that would not be the case.... :-)
But it asks if he was arrested, and he was, so the rest of your advice is moot anyway.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP must declare the arrest, the outcome and the denial of entry to the US. You've already experienced what happens when you don't tell the truth. Worse things happen. You were denied entry to the US because you lied: not because of the arrest. But you know this.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 3:35 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake_okeeffe
I didn't declare that I had been arrested before when I was 15 (I'm 24 now)
Did you need to? The question doesn't ask 'have you ever been arrested - yes / no', it asks a far more qualified question.

and when the border control agent asked me had I been arrested before, I freaked out and said I had been. Long story short, they refused me entry for lying on the ESTA.
Seems like something is amiss. What were you arrested for?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 3:36 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
The OP must declare the arrest
I hate advice like this. A traveller must only declare what is asked. End of.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 3:40 am
Banned

The one thing you don't want to do is lying to the immigration officers. Even if the criminal record is discovered at a later stage, even after one becomes a citizen, it would be grounds for revocation of citizenship.
Would? Nonsense.

Could? Yes, but only if the answer was material to a decision.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jun 14th 2017 at 3:49 am.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I hate advice like this. A traveller must only declare what is asked. End of.
One of the eTA questions is "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country/territory."

In order to get an eTA, the traveller must declare the arrest (or, lie on the form which is a horrible idea). Since the only way to get to Canada is across the land border (Canada only has 1, and OP has been denied entry to the US), or via sea or air which require an eTA, OP must declare the arrest.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 4:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
One of the eTA questions is "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country/territory."
OP must declare the arrest.
In this case, based on the question, yes. I entirely agree.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In this case, based on the question, yes. I entirely agree.
So after telling poor Snowy that you 'hate advice like this' you now agree that her advice was correct? Canada has very different visa/immigration requirements to the US, and the advice given to the OP is specific to Canada, and correct.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So after telling poor Snowy that you 'hate advice like this' you now agree that her advice was correct?
I was making the point that their blanket statement needed further clarification (ie, citing the specific question asked). That was then provided, to which I agreed with the answer based on the question cited.

PS - you shouldn't use terms such as 'poor' to describe people. It's offensive in my experience.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jun 14th 2017 at 6:44 am.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know when you can work out the point I was making.....here's a hint; it needed further clarification (ie, citing the specific question asked). You're welcome.
See post no. 7, which has already given the exact wording of the question. Maybe read the whole thread next time before shooting people down for their advice?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
See post no. 7, which has already given the exact wording of the question.
I get that. I'm simply making the point that it would have been useful to cite the relevant question either prior or during the answer, especially if one reads a thread half way through (hence the usefulness of quoting).
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Then you are advocating OP commits misrepresentation, which will get them excluded from Canada.

The question is or, or, or. NOT and, and, and. Your answer would be correct for "and".

Because OP can answer "yes" to any part of it - the arrest part - they must answer yes.
I am not advocating anybody to commit anything here. That's your interpretation.

English is also not my 1st language. To me the question mentioned a couple of different events together with a crime in any country or territory. To answer with yes, any or at least one, of the stated option in that question, together with any criminal offense must have happened. ( Arrest and warning would be a clear "no", arrest and criminal conviction a "yes" ) The usage of the word "for" would be like an "and".

To me, for a crime to happen, one must at least have been in a trial, in front of a judge. Then there will be a charge, a conviction by a judge and sentence.

As far as I know, if one gets arrested, the officer must say for what one is under arrest for and what the consequences are.

The background of what happened, - I don't have exactly. I have also never applied for an aTA. I think that's for non citizens traveling to Canada?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jun 14th 2017 at 7:22 am.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:29 am
Banned

As far as I know, if one gets arrested, the officer must say for what one is under arrest for and what the consequences are.
Well that's grossly wrong for starters.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's grossly wrong for starters.
I don't quite think that the police in Canada can just arrest anybody at will, and neither that's the case in the UK.

They must read the arrested person the reason for the arrest, etc....

It's not that Canada is a police state. Not yet, I know Harper tried a lot..... :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.