Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Wikiposts

Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:39 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deadline today for 1000s of temp. foreign workers

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Those affected are in low skill jobs, something that had never been possible until the new government listened to the wrong business persons. There was never any chance of PR at that skill level
^This. Thanks Jason & Stevie.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

8 years seems like a long time to be a TFW. This guy gets to stay for now though.

Jasper, Alta., temporary foreign worker wins last minute reprieve - Edmonton - CBC News
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I think Citizens should still get priority over PR!
Priority over what exactly? Jobs, healthcare?

Citizens do get priority over some things like voting (pr's cant) and federal jobs, and I am sure other things, I can't think of.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator
Still 200 more than I would expect.

I did not know any Phd pilots. Some of us only had a limited education, many buttons are coloured and different shapes so we could figure out what they were for and the only window at the end, was at the front, so we went to the right bit. It was always good when one arrives at a strip of asphalt, hoping the right one and if the aeroplane can be used again, bonus!
Well at the rate more and more airlines are going now with requiring pilots to have a degree, you may find more Phd's....

My airline had at least 1 with a Phd, we called him capt. doc. In his late 40's at the time. (10-15 years ago now.)

We also had 2 MD's on the ramp, one was retired and bored so came to work for us and the other not sure why he left as he was only 40 something.

Oh and we had a university math teacher, he worked on the ramp for health benefits, he didn't get any from university.

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
I have seen this argument before...my job has been advertised and empty for 8 months...who am I taking it off of exactly? Except the lazy, who want to sit and complain that Temporary workers are the reason a job is not in front of them, I think before that the excuse was first nations, and after it will be all these PR holders or something else. I actually will be glad (and happy to see) when TWP disappears, as suddenly all these "disadvantaged" citizens can be given the choice of flipping burgers or serving coffee or washing toilets..you have no job..there you are..go work for it, if they want my job...move..take it...my employer would be damn glad...they are worried sick about staff shortages!! Thats the other side, which i hope doesn't happen..you take all the TWP away, and suddenly there is no person to take your order at Mcdonalds, in fact as a local place had to they need to close early everyday as they can't get the staff. so you think i know i'll go to Walmart and get the stuff for a sandwich instead..but the shelves are empty as currently (as in my local) Walmart have 14 vacancies, 6 for shelf and handling staff. Damn...okay then...go to a bar and get a pub meal...but heck wouldn't you know it, the local has been bar snacks only for over 2 months as they can't get a chef. You want work..no problem...come move to Calgary...it's everywhere, they got job offers left right and centre! if you don't want to, don't complain about me taking the job instead, I had an interesting discussion in a bar with a guy who said i shouldn't be there etc etc, and was doing "his" job, after a couple of beers had loosened him up, turns out he was on his third DUI and had spent a year in prison for something drug related..I'm sure my employer would welcome him with open arms..<koff>, he was on some state benefit, and unemployed and showing on the figures no doubt, which people say is proof I'm stealing jobs, but there is no way on gods earth my employer would touch him with a pole!

As i said, who am I taking work off of

My job is hard graft, damn hard graft it's there still on job-bank if interested. i can assure you if you apply and you have the skills and aptitude my employer will give it to you in a heartbeat and be glad to have you.

Unless of course those permits we have been waiting for and the company got the local MP involved about (because of course our company is owned and run by a citizen) suddenly show up then your out of luck as I'm keeping it after PR and into Citizenship.
In theory I would say if an employer can't find staff locally, then they need to go regionally, then possibly nationally and offer a relocation package. I am sure someone somewhere unemployed in Canada would be interested, but may not have the ability to relocate.

Around here no shortage of local workers. In Whistler employers will claim there is, but if they offered a desirable wage and had places to live, there would not be the issue, they just don't want to pay what is required to get someone to move there since the wages do not match the housing.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 3rd 2015 at 6:08 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:04 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

If we don't get PR then we don't get PR but we should be given the chance to apply at least.
Why should you be given the chance? And why couldn't you apply from England?

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 6th 2015 at 7:20 am.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:17 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
No I'm sorry, the two are totally different, If someone chooses to apply for PR and comes to Canada and is unable to get a job in their field (which sad though it is, it is possible as no one has recruited them for a specific role and brought them into the country for that specific post), they can take any job, and like everyone else establish themselves in the country and if necessary take what qualifications are required to enter their old fields...such is life, same would happen in the UK if you got laid off. Also a PR holder can easily go home and work for a year or more in their old field and return (unless they have burned their bridges)...a TWP can't

A temporary worker, especially one that (like me) was canvassed by his Canadian Employer while happy in the UK looking for a specific skill set who had an established life and career and was lured under the clear promise of CEC PR, does I feel, have a right to be upset and have a whinge, it makes no difference I get PR through marriage (luckily). But for Canadians to say "how dare the TWP whinge" kind of smacks of "yessus boss, sorry boss, I will do what I is told boss".

If you wish i will send you the welcome pack from my employer from 2 years ago, welcoming me to Canada and informing me that if I came it would lead to eventual CEC PR, also included is letters from the HR and the immigration consultant all saying the same thing. I took all of these on good faith. My employer knew to get the people they wanted to uproot they wouldn't do it for a 2 year contract...PR was the carrot. My employer was cute in implying (not saying, just implying) we had to do a set amount of service to apply and the HR and immigration consultant actually said the same (although never in writing) ...but of course both of those are in the employ of the company..and misunderstood the rules to the companies benefit. Rather than applying directly on day one, which at that time was the case and we all could, we all waited, by the time of the changes to the system reached our ears it was too late.

It was on that understanding..the leading to PR... I took the role, that paid less than what I earned in the UK, and on that understanding I sold my life up, rather than put it on hold. To suggest I just packed my bags and believed the world owed me everything, and should have a plan B is insulting.

I might add to enhance the illusion we are coming for good the job offer (re-reading it all now) is for a full time post rather than a 2 year contract, and even stresses that....slap my employer, don't slap me.
Alright mate.

You're not the first and won't be the last to get BS'd by an employer in North America. It's rife here.

None the less every country has a duty to raise the standard of living for the people already in it's care before opening the system to others.

Immigration in the main does bring positive benefits to most western economies because the reality is we have too many people who are old and didn't save enough money when they had cheap housing and final salary pensions available. Young workers will pay the taxes to support these lazy bigots who have selfishly already gone through life with the finer things.

PR is best established by screening people before they come to a country so they can come on equal terms with certain rights of abode. Temporary foreign worker should be last resort for both company and worker.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 6th 2015 at 7:20 am.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I see both sides to this argument, but nevertheless I want to thank Neil and Ontheroadoflife for their empathy. Sure, once "we" are "in" we should care about "our" country, but if we on the other side of the fence...Anyway thanks guys.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
BE Enthusiast

Divvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond reputeDivvym1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Why should you be given the chance? And why couldn't you apply from England?
because she qualifies probably!? and she is in Canada right now. Pretty sure thats why she didn't apply from England
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I thought of three possible responses and, as I can't decide which is best ...

1) You can take the person out of Britain ...
2) And they say that Canadians have no sense of irony
3) We're British, we are not really immigrants like all those furriners.

Bolded for gravity
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who came over on an IEC, I have to agree with the majority of comments here about the IEC being abused. I was able to use the IEC to bypass having to get an LMIA (LMO at the time) and had a full time skilled position in place. I would not have got an LMIA due to my employer paying below the required LMIA median salary so in my case, and in many cases, this is an abuse of the intention of the IEC program.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well at the rate more and more airlines are going now with requiring pilots to have a degree, you may find more Phd's....
I doubt it. BA went through a period of requiring a degree for pilot training, then ditched that as it did not work too well. One does not need a degree to be a good pilot, one needs good decision making skills, calm pressure, a significant ability to multi-task (reason for some crashes due to flight crew focusing on one problem alone).

Ex military pilots are are in demand as are experienced civilian pilots. Once you have experience, academic education plays a less significant role. With the looming mass retirement of senior pilots and fewer income over time, carriers may not be able to be so demanding.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:19 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Divvym1
because she qualifies probably!? and she is in Canada right now. Pretty sure thats why she didn't apply from England
Pretty sure if she qualified she could have got PR in the first place and saved the hassle of coming here and going through the uncertainty.......
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

So you want it scrapped then?
They should just cut it to a once a lifetime 12 month visa like it used to be instead of allowing people two. That has lead to the system abuse.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:22 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Divvym1
Post of the year my friend!
Somebody needs to get out more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.