Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Old Feb 22nd 2012, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Originally Posted by Brashnaldo
So, First off, thanks to whoever started the thread, some really good info, a real change from the shouty stuff on this topic

I am hoping to go (too late bought the ticket!) to Canada end of June I have a drug conviction in 2004, so it is spent as regards the UK even if we add the community service (about 100 hours I think).

As I understand it from reading the thread, I should be allowed to pass into Canada because of the Burgon and other type of cases and the fact that our legal systems are so close and recognition of rehabilitation and spent cases etc.

But it is very much advised to get a letter stating that I am not inadmissible.

So to get this letter I need to
• apply for the ACRO form which will come back with ‘no live trace’ on it showing that I have a conviction and that it is spent, but it will not show that actual conviction
• Apply to the local magistrates court for proof that I have paid the fine

Then I send to the Canadian High Commission in London
• the application for a visa form (information only)
• the ACRO form
• the proof of a paid fine
• A covering letter explaining my conviction and proving that I am now a grown up and sorting my life out etc and also asking if I would be considered spent under Burgon and therefore non inadmissible under Canadian law

Then I (hopefully) receive a letter saying non inadmissible enter into Canada and all go home for a nice cup of tea.

Does this look like a plan, and can it be done in 4 months?

Any suggestions and answers very much appreciated
What was the drug conviction in 2004 (type of drug)?
The 5 year time frame relates to application for rehabilitation or removing a summary offence only conviction provided 5 years has elapsed since the completion of the conviction. If the offence falls under section 36(2)(b) IRPA and has a sentence where it mentions indictable or summary then you would still be inadmissible as 10 years has not elapsed since completion of any sentence.
More info needed regarding the conviction i.e possession, trafficking, importation/exportation.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Brashnaldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply;

It was "production of cannabis". Growing plants basically, more serious than possession but not as serious as 'with intent to supply'
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brashnaldo
Thanks for the reply;

It was "production of cannabis". Growing plants basically, more serious than possession but not as serious as 'with intent to supply'
Your offence would equate to section 7(2)(b) Controlled Drugs & Substances Act
(b) where the subject-matter of the offence is cannabis (marihuana), is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years;

In the sentence it says indictable and would fall under section 36(2)(b) inadmissibility IRPA. If 5 years has elapsed since any sentence imposed and has been completed then you are eligible to apply for rehabilitation $200.
You are not deemed rehabilitated until 10 years has elapsed since any sentence imposed has been completed.
I find that a 4 month time frame to apply for rehabilitation is not realistic.
Legally you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at the POE $200 but the issuance is at the discretion of the officer and you can be sent back home and not admitted to Canada.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

OK, thanks for the info; so there is a chance that they may deem me rehabilitated, but I definitely have to apply for rehabilitation.
So I have two choices;
1) apply for Temporary Resident Permit at the border
2) apply for a visa before leaving, and here there is even the chance that they will deem it spent

Either way I am going to need some documentation, so can someone help me with a checklist of documentation;
1) ACRO report
2) letter from magistrates court saying I paid the fine
3) Covering letter explaining the crime and current situation
4) Actual application itself

What else would I be needing?
Thanks for any info.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Dont worry, found it!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

thorold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Just to let people know that i received my letter today stating that i am rehabilitated. I am from Ireland and i received a 2 Year Ban in December 2004 for a DUI. I postponed my ban and started it in May 2005 and in May 2006 i appealed and got my license back a year early. Even though my ban was for 2 years it states on the CIC website that you can apply 5 years from the date your disqualification ended or when you received your license back whichever comes first. As i received my license back in May 2006 i was eligible to apply in May 2011.
I entered Canada 3 times in total being totally ignorant to being inadmissable but as i was never questioned by immigration i never declared my conviction. I included this as a side note in my application just to be totally transparent.
My application included the following
1)Table of contents
2)Relevant Forms
3)3 References from a solicitor and politician and a Principal of a School.
4)Criminal background check from ireland that included my conviction
5) Criminal background check from Australia
5) Court Documents
6) Photocopies of all pages of my passport
7) Photocopy of my Girlfriends Passport who is Canadian
8) Reference letter from my current employer.
9) My current CV
10) Certificates to prove the qualifications on my CV.
11) Relevant fee.
I put all these documents into a sleeve binder and numbered every sleeve with reference to the table of contents. I felt that the easier you make it for the officer looking through your documents the better.
They received my application by registered post on 24th October 2011
I have attached the letter i received today. Next step is to start my Visa application.
Attached Thumbnails Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others-canada1.jpg  
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

bigdaddy4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigdaddy4
Thanks for the info provided i will just have to wait a see when it comes back hopfully im ok to go
I got my rehabillitation yesterday im good togo
Old May 18th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light

I was wondering if I could get the forums advice on my case. I was going to go down the route of info only rehab for a spent conviction (assault in '04 £100 fine) but I'm a little concerned. You see I've already been to Canada, in '09 I was there with my family (my dad bought the tickets and arranged the holiday). When we got there no one asked about past criminality and if I'm bonnets I never knew about inadmissability until a week ago when I did some (extra paranoid) checking on the matter.

What my concern is even if I am able to argue that as my conviction is spent (I know it's not 100% airtight judgement) would I be denied due to my previous entry (12 day holiday) to Canada?

Anyone able to advise me?

Prob should clarify, I live in the UK and I'm going to Canada for a holiday in August.

Last edited by Greyfox; May 18th 2012 at 9:59 am. Reason: Clarification
Old May 18th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

thorold is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greyfox
I was wondering if I could get the forums advice on my case. I was going to go down the route of info only rehab for a spent conviction (assault in '04 £100 fine) but I'm a little concerned. You see I've already been to Canada, in '09 I was there with my family (my dad bought the tickets and arranged the holiday). When we got there no one asked about past criminality and if I'm bonnets I never knew about inadmissability until a week ago when I did some (extra paranoid) checking on the matter.

What my concern is even if I am able to argue that as my conviction is spent (I know it's not 100% airtight judgement) would I be denied due to my previous entry (12 day holiday) to Canada?

Anyone able to advise me?

Prob should clarify, I live in the UK and I'm going to Canada for a holiday in August.
I entered Canada on 3 occasions when i was inadmissable and i stated this on a separate sheet with my application and explained i did not know at the time i was inadmissable and once i found out i did not return. This was with my application for full rehabilitation and not for information only. I received a letter 4 months later stating i was rehabilitated so it did not seem to effect my application. I decided i was better off being honest than them finding out at a later date.
Old May 18th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thorold
I entered Canada on 3 occasions when i was inadmissable and i stated this on a separate sheet with my application and explained i did not know at the time i was inadmissable and once i found out i did not return. This was with my application for full rehabilitation and not for information only. I received a letter 4 months later stating i was rehabilitated so it did not seem to effect my application. I decided i was better off being honest than them finding out at a later date.
I seem to be at a cross roads. I've got 12 weeks to sort everything out - maybe enough time for the info only but not enough time for the full rehab. I'm not sure if I should mention it on my form I mean my trip to Canada doesn't hold much relavence to my spent conviction (I'm really only asking them if my spent conviction under ROA qualify me to be once again admissible to Canada) I've tried to look this up but I can't go d anything. I mean do they check my passport against records and say well he's been here before and he's asking for info on rehab therefore when he was here he must of lied to get in.

I don't want to go to Canada with the info check but I'm concerned that as I've been before I'm automatically inadmissabile even if I try any argue that I'm rehabilitate in the UK. Anyone with a similar story?

Also I thought id clarify, when I got to canada the woman at the immigration deemed asked why I was here, what my plans were and wished me an enjoyable holiday. I have no idea if they record these conversations for their records.

Last edited by Greyfox; May 18th 2012 at 11:03 am. Reason: Additional
Old May 18th 2012, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greyfox
I seem to be at a cross roads. I've got 12 weeks to sort everything out - maybe enough time for the info only but not enough time for the full rehab. I'm not sure if I should mention it on my form I mean my trip to Canada doesn't hold much relavence to my spent conviction (I'm really only asking them if my spent conviction under ROA qualify me to be once again admissible to Canada) I've tried to look this up but I can't go d anything. I mean do they check my passport against records and say well he's been here before and he's asking for info on rehab therefore when he was here he must of lied to get in.

I don't want to go to Canada with the info check but I'm concerned that as I've been before I'm automatically inadmissabile even if I try any argue that I'm rehabilitate in the UK. Anyone with a similar story?
I'm not sure you'll get the definite answer you seem to be seeking on a public forum full of laymen tbh.

Maybe consult with an immigration lawyer/consultant? You can search the forum for recently recommended ones.

I'm just not sure anybody on here will be able to tell you for sure what to do, you've already had the opinion of Former Lancastrian, who is a border officer, so you know what he'd expect if you turned up at his immigration point! I think you either need to send off for your info only app pretty urgently, or to consult a professional if you want surety.

Good luck.
Old May 19th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a good situation.

I encountered a case recently where an individual was detained at Vancouver International airport for more than 24 hours based on a conviction for assault that occurred over 12 years ago. He would have been sent back home if we had not intervened while he was in the departure lounge and requested a Hearing.

The fact that the conviction is spent in the U.K. is often ignored by the Canadian authorities, and inadmissibility can be based on the immigration officer's opinion that you have committed an offense outside Canada - if the offense occurs outside Canada no actual conviction is required.

So my advice to you, if you don't have time to complete the rehabilitation application before you leave, is to take all your police records with you and prepare an application for rehabilitation to present at the border. If they don't want to let you in, you have the option to withdraw your application for entry and go home with your tail between your legs. As Former Lancastrian says, the decision to issue a Temporary Resident Permit is discretionary in this case, so in your situation you might not want to insist on a Hearing.

Last edited by firstchoice; May 19th 2012 at 1:06 am.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by firstchoice
Not a good situation.

I encountered a case recently where an individual was detained at Vancouver International airport for more than 24 hours based on a conviction for assault that occurred over 12 years ago. He would have been sent back home if we had not intervened while he was in the departure lounge and requested a Hearing.

The fact that the conviction is spent in the U.K. is often ignored by the Canadian authorities, and inadmissibility can be based on the immigration officer's opinion that you have committed an offense outside Canada - if the offense occurs outside Canada no actual conviction is required.

So my advice to you, if you don't have time to complete the rehabilitation application before you leave, is to take all your police records with you and prepare an application for rehabilitation to present at the border. If they don't want to let you in, you have the option to withdraw your application for entry and go home with your tail between your legs. As Former Lancastrian says, the decision to issue a Temporary Resident Permit is discretionary in this case, so in your situation you might not want to insist on a Hearing.
I do have to say the situation is giving major stress, as I'm desperately trying to gather all the correct documents and so.

Although the case has now been given a fresh twist. The court records clerk I was talking to has now told me I was admonished (equivalent to E&W absolute discharge) and given a fine. This was spent after 6 months and not 5 years (still confused but I'll email my original lawyers on Monday) as I always thought. I've emailed CIC in the meantime just to see if they are able to offer advice over and about the actions I'm doing.

The maddening thing is my family is treating me like a doom merchant for thinking of the worst case scenario and somehow the IO will 'understand' the extreme minor nature of my records. I tell them they'll do their job, judge me on Canadian law and boot me towards the mid Atlantic.

To quote Jon Greene from his YouTube crash-course world history (it's awesome if you love history check it out) "I hate you so much, me-from-the-past!"

Last edited by Greyfox; May 19th 2012 at 7:23 am. Reason: Oh God grey fox, paragraphs, PARAGRAPHS!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

colin1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just spent a few hours reading this entire thread. Thanks to all who have contributed especially the OP. I've also spent a bit of time doing as much reading as I can elsewhere on the subject and I'm still not entirely clear yet where I stand so I hope some of you could be kind enough to tell me what you think.

I plan to go to Canada next year on the Work and Travel Visa.

When I was younger I had a fairly immature year at University which resulted in me doing a couple of very stupid things. Firstly, I was caught urinating in the street and after an argument with some officers I was arrested and subsequently received a police caution for the following offences:

1. Indecent Exposure
2. Resisting Arrest
3. Obstructing Police Business

The incident occurred in October 2006 and if I signed the police caution in November 2006.

Then in May 2007 I was involved in another stupid drunken incident and arrested for 'Disorderly Conduct in a Public Place'. I went to Court in October 2007 and received a 12 month 'Conditional Discharge', the relatively light sentencing due to mitigating circumstances etc.

Anyway, it is my understanding that I have do not have a criminal record nor do I have any criminal convictions. However, I have admitted guilt to offences which I believe would be 'Summary Convictions' in Canada. I also understand that my police certificate from ACRO is likely to come back with 'No Live Trace' indicating some sort of record.

So my questions then, if someone could help me, are:

1. Since under ROA I understand cautions and conditional discharges are essentially 'spent' once they are finished then does the Burgeon ruling apply in my case and should I be deemed rehabilitated?
2. How do I go about apply for this? Should I send off a 'for information only' request and if so, what further documents do I need to obtain and send off?

Any help or comment is greatly appreciated!

Also, just to mention, I am fully 'rehabilitated'. These were stupid incidents during a bit of a silly period in my life, I since gained a degree and have had a full-time job for over 4 years now. I will also soon qualify as a Chartered Accountant.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

DragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond reputeDragonSpirit has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome news and definitely encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by thorold
Hi

Just to let people know that i received my letter today stating that i am rehabilitated. I am from Ireland and i received a 2 Year Ban in December 2004 for a DUI. I postponed my ban and started it in May 2005 and in May 2006 i appealed and got my license back a year early. Even though my ban was for 2 years it states on the CIC website that you can apply 5 years from the date your disqualification ended or when you received your license back whichever comes first. As i received my license back in May 2006 i was eligible to apply in May 2011.
I entered Canada 3 times in total being totally ignorant to being inadmissable but as i was never questioned by immigration i never declared my conviction. I included this as a side note in my application just to be totally transparent.
My application included the following
1)Table of contents
2)Relevant Forms
3)3 References from a solicitor and politician and a Principal of a School.
4)Criminal background check from ireland that included my conviction
5) Criminal background check from Australia
5) Court Documents
6) Photocopies of all pages of my passport
7) Photocopy of my Girlfriends Passport who is Canadian
8) Reference letter from my current employer.
9) My current CV
10) Certificates to prove the qualifications on my CV.
11) Relevant fee.
I put all these documents into a sleeve binder and numbered every sleeve with reference to the table of contents. I felt that the easier you make it for the officer looking through your documents the better.
They received my application by registered post on 24th October 2011
I have attached the letter i received today. Next step is to start my Visa application.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.