Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Rehabilitation - My story to help others

Originally Posted by good guy
hey there everybody . i have sent my application for rehabilition to london and near 2 weeks have past and i would love to know if the london office has recieved my application in the post . like is there a way to trace it or can i contact them in some way to ask if its arrived at there office . im just scared that incase something has happend to my form . thank you and i look foword to hearing from someone that has knowladge about this .
No, you can't contact them to check it's been received, or trace it. Did you not send it via a trackable method i.e. courier or Recorded Delivery?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:00 am
Just Joined

thorold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.
I finally have my application put together and plan to post it this week. Just a few questions someone might be able to help me with.
1) The check list on the United Kingdom CIC site just mentions a postal order as a form of payment, is this the only form of payment they will accept or can you use form IMM 5310 "Fees for Immigration services" which is on checklist on Canadian CIC site
2) I plan to move to Canada with my girlfriend who is a Canadian Citizen as soon as possible. She will sponsor me as a common-law partner. Do i have to wait until i receive a response on my rehabilitation application or can i get the ball rolling on the Sponsorship application in the mean time.
I will give updates on my application as soon as i hear anything.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

cor-32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nightwolves20
I had a dd and an unlawfull wounding from back in 96, as it was old enough i was deemed rehabilitated,only found out i needed the rehab paperwork on my 3rd visit to Canada. 2 previous visits i sailed through passport control, grabbed my bags and was off, visit 3 it took 3 1/2 hours in immigration. Had to tell em the whole story, explain sentences, 12 month ban and 9 months suspended for 2 years respectively while my(Canadian) fiance, now wife was waiting to pick me up from the airport. They interviewed her too and i eventually got a temporary residency permit for my stay for $200. Moral of the story, if you have a record, dont chance it. I was told i could have been refused entry to Canada and if that happens you're barred for life.
When i got my rehab paperwork back i had no problem, just sailed through again.

Getting the paperwork was easy too, downloaded the forms from the Canadian High Commision site, sent it back with my police check, came back really quick.

Just waiting to move now, i got my visa in my passport 2 weeks ago on Thursday !!!!! Woohoo!
I hope this helped someone,it is do-able with a record
I have a fraud charge from 99 (fine), and a DUI from 00 (fine & 1yr ban) would that deem me rehabilitated or will i proceed with my application?
I am in Canada
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cor-32
I have a fraud charge from 99 (fine), and a DUI from 00 (fine & 1yr ban) would that deem me rehabilitated or will i proceed with my application?
I am in Canada
If you're already in Canada then presumably you've already checked to see if you needed criminal rehab? As if you did, you are inadmissible to Canada for any reason so shouldn't have entered at all (even for a holiday).

When exactly did your driving ban end, was it ten years or more ago?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you're already in Canada then presumably you've already checked to see if you needed criminal rehab? As if you did, you are inadmissible to Canada for any reason so shouldn't have entered at all (even for a holiday).

When exactly did your driving ban end, was it ten years or more ago?
Didn't know that DUI was classed as criminal in Canada, and i wasn't asked entering did i have priors

The ban ended April 01
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cor-32
Didn't know that DUI was classed as criminal in Canada, and i wasn't asked entering did i have priors

The ban ended April 01
Yep, it certainly is. The CIC website says "Note: If you have been convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, you will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada".

You'e not asked when you enter, but obviously the onus is on you to know the entry laws of the country you are visiting. There is info in the CIC website section for visitors about being criminally inadmissible which may be worth a read.

Seems that as more than 10 years have passed you should be deemed rehabilitated, although if you've visited Canada before the 10 years are up, then I'm not sure if that will affect any PR application. Hopefully PMM or one of the experts will comment though.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

missi1243 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband has just applied for criminal rehabiliation he has a few convictions under his belt ....... last was in 2006 .... we have had a reply from the consulate within 3 weeks of sending the application asking for confirmation that there is no money owing at court for fines or reparation... has anyone had this before??? we only finished paying the reparation a few months ago wonder if this will cause the application to be rejected the courts have just written a letter stating no monies owed currently
Old Oct 9th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

BAAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Missi1243,

Any news?
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Well unfortuantely the Consulate has replied and advised my husband is not allowed to apply for criminal rehabiliation till 2016 as his reparation was not paid till this year they add 5 years from the date that fines/reparation are paid Certainly a hard country to get into Has anyone applied for a Temporary Resident Permit?? We are thinking of applying for one as my mother resides in Canada and is really ill, that is why we were wanting to visit Canada
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by missi1243
Well unfortuantely the Consulate has replied and advised my husband is not allowed to apply for criminal rehabiliation till 2016 as his reparation was not paid till this year they add 5 years from the date that fines/reparation are paid Certainly a hard country to get into Has anyone applied for a Temporary Resident Permit?? We are thinking of applying for one as my mother resides in Canada and is really ill, that is why we were wanting to visit Canada
There is a recent thread from somebody whose other half has applied for a TRP, so have a hunt and you should find it. I think the problem you'll have is that CIC will not see a reason why you can't go and visit your mother on your own, so I'm not sure you'd have a good enough case tbh. But I guess it's worth a try.

Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Should i try to get proof that i paid the fines at the time?

It would show up on my police clearance cert if there was outstanding fines due
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Hi....

When I applied years ago for criminal Rehabilitation to enter Canada for my DUI I was never asked for confirmation my fine had been paid, they just took the date from when I gained my licence back But I think they requested confirmation from my husband as he had a large fine from a careless driving conviction that he had been paying the courts off through an arrangement ... reading through the canadian websites I have recently found information that states they will take 5 years from the date the fine was paid
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Does anyone know how difficult it is to apply for a visa waiver into the United States due to previous convictions? and whether it is as difficult as applying for criminal rehabilitation into Canada???
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by missi1243
reading through the canadian websites I have recently found information that states they will take 5 years from the date the fine was paid
Just to clarify for the sake of anybody reading, it's 5 years from the end of sentence, whatever that may be - whether a fine, driving ban, community service, jail term, etc.

Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:13 am
Just Joined

both my fines were just a couple of hundred dollars, i would rather not have to get that proof as they are so slow in Ireland getting that sort of info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.