"Criminal Inadmissibility"

Old Aug 19th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all
Default "Criminal Inadmissibility"

Hi, again! My family and I are currently going through the final stages in preparation for our move to Toronto, and a potential spanner has reared it's ugly head and perhaps thrown itself in the works.

If I've researched and understood this properly it actually won't be a problem, but I just need some reassurance (I find the closer we get to the move, the more panicky I get).

Yesterday morning I was driving down to the supermarket. As I got close to some lights, they turned amber, and I was faced with the old "slam on the breaks or keep going?", and of course I did the stupid thing and kept going. Two seconds later I see the camera flash in my rear-view mirror. When I got home and checked the traffic camera database, I found that at that particular junction there is a red-light camera - I'm assuming that the lights turned red as I went through.

I've never had any kind of trouble with the police or had any kind of traffic ticket before, so I just want to make sure this won't render me criminally inadmissible and affect our impending move. The penalty over here will be £60 and 3 points (not criminal) and my understanding is that the penalty in Ontario is similar - a fine and demerit points, and the violation is not in the criminal code of Canada, thus it wouldn't appear on a police report or require declaration?

Yours truly,

Idiot.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Criminal Inadmissibility"

Originally Posted by aml1982
Hi, again! My family and I are currently going through the final stages in preparation for our move to Toronto, and a potential spanner has reared it's ugly head and perhaps thrown itself in the works.

If I've researched and understood this properly it actually won't be a problem, but I just need some reassurance (I find the closer we get to the move, the more panicky I get).

Yesterday morning I was driving down to the supermarket. As I got close to some lights, they turned amber, and I was faced with the old "slam on the breaks or keep going?", and of course I did the stupid thing and kept going. Two seconds later I see the camera flash in my rear-view mirror. When I got home and checked the traffic camera database, I found that at that particular junction there is a red-light camera - I'm assuming that the lights turned red as I went through.

I've never had any kind of trouble with the police or had any kind of traffic ticket before, so I just want to make sure this won't render me criminally inadmissible and affect our impending move. The penalty over here will be £60 and 3 points (not criminal) and my understanding is that the penalty in Ontario is similar - a fine and demerit points, and the violation is not in the criminal code of Canada, thus it wouldn't appear on a police report or require declaration?

Yours truly,

Idiot.
If it was that bad, Canada would be a population of criminals.

Stop worrying.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo

Stop worrying.
Lol, I keep telling myself that. I found that ever since I became a stay at home parent last year, I tend to let things settle in my mind a lot more, especially given that my son is about as well behaved as any child I've met and doesn't cause me any trouble (although I'm expecting that to change soon - kid just turned two. I'm led to believe that the forecast should now change to tantrums with a wobblers). Lots of time to overthink things when you're changing nappies and doing the dishes.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. If you accelerate for red lights you'll be a good fit in Canada; Saskatchewan, anyway.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
Indeed. If you accelerate for red lights you'll be a good fit in Canada; Saskatchewan, anyway.
Fortunately for the people of Saskatchewan we're heading to Toronto (probably fortunate for the people of Toronto, too, since we're not likely to bother with a car since we'll be living downtown and they will be spared one more driver with an apparent intolerance to traffic lights)
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately for the people of Saskatchewan we're heading to Toronto (probably fortunate for the people of Toronto, too, since we're not likely to bother with a car since we'll be living downtown and they will be spared one more driver with an apparent intolerance to traffic lights)
Be careful crossing the roads here then, as amber lasts for ages, and some, while everyone rushes thru to get to the nearest Timmies or Starbuck stop.

I think.....When you get your new licence here it will be clean again
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Be careful crossing the roads here then, as amber lasts for ages, and some, while everyone rushes thru to get to the nearest Timmies or Starbuck stop.

I think.....When you get your new licence here it will be clean again
Yeah, we lived there before. I always used to find that the near misses seemed to come with streetcars, especially on Spadina. Would always see people sprinting across the road trying to beat the oncoming traffic, but they wouldn't be paying attention to the street car lines in the middle and almost get hit.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry its not a criminal conviction over here so you are not inadmissible.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Dont worry its not a criminal conviction over here so you are not inadmissible.
Thanks, Former Lancastrain. Just another further question - when answering the question "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?" on the work permit application, should I be putting "yes" or "no"?

I understand it is not a criminal conviction in Canada, but I believe it counts as a criminal conviction in the UK?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:04 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Former Lancastrain. Just another further question - when answering the question "Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?" on the work permit application, should I be putting "yes" or "no"?

I understand it is not a criminal conviction in Canada, but I believe it counts as a criminal conviction in the UK?
Where you arrested, charged, or convicted for it

If yes, then answer yes. If no, then answer no. Simples.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Where you arrested, charged, or convicted for it

If yes, then answer yes. If no, then answer no. Simples.
Well, admitting the offence and receiving the fine and points would count as a conviction, wouldn't it?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:35 pm
Beep

Well, admitting the offence and receiving the fine and points would count as a conviction, wouldn't it?
Nope. You're not a convict. Relax and forget about it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nope. You're not a convict. Relax and forget about it.
Oh, I'm relaxed about the whole criminal inadmissibility thing, I understand that going through a red isn't a problem in that regard, I just wanted to know if I am expected to declare it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:12 pm
Beep

Oh, I'm relaxed about the whole criminal inadmissibility thing, I understand that going through a red isn't a problem in that regard, I just wanted to know if I am expected to declare it.
No you don't need to declare it
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

No you don't need to declare it
Sweet, thank you.