Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Couldn't Land. What a experience!!

Couldn't Land. What a experience!!

Old Jun 21st 2001, 10:47 pm
Sandip Mitra

Well i had a really bad landing experience today at Windsor. I had been a US Green
Card holder for the last 3 years but applied for Canadian PR last year and got it.
There was no hidden secret here, I really wanted to move to Canada because I like
Toronto a lot. Today I tried to land at Windsor, and the immigration officer stopped
me saying that I can land only after I had surrendered my US GC. I told her that I
will only do that after I settle down in Canada which can take close to 3 months.
While I am looking for a job in Canada, I need to maintain my US GC otherwise I
cannot claim my salary from my employer. In fact I had discussed the same thing
during my Quality Control Interview at Buffalo and they had told me that Canada
allows a landed immigrant six months to settle their affair at home and during that
period I could maintain my US GC after that I would have to cancel it, which was fine
by me. The immigration Officer at Windsor initially was very rude and she said that
so many people are trying to play this trick. I do not know what trick she was
talking about. If I did not want to move to Canada and just wanted to visit CA, I was
entitled to do that automatically being a commonwealth citizen and a US PR holder. In
fact, I had tried finding a job and house before landing, the way she suggested, but
it was difficult. Every landlord/seller wants bank accounts, job reference and asks
for immigration status. I had talked to two companies for employment and they told me
the same thing, that I should land first and then discuss terms and conditions with
them. I do not know what does Canada want? Do the immigration officers expect us to
land without job and house and then live without pay for 3 months.

Old Jun 21st 2001, 10:59 pm
Andrew Miller

Obviously it was something more to it that just the fact that you are a GC holder
to not allow you to formally land in Canada. Most likely you just showed at the
border without any household goods and without a list of imported goods and the
goods to follow and it was a clear indication to immigration officer that you don't
have any intention to establish your permanent residency in Canada at this time -
and this is why you were refused landing. Or maybe it was something more you are
not telling us about...

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 2:17 am
Sandip Mitra

Thats not correct. I had lot of goods with me and also had goods to follow. The
officer insisted that she will have to inform the US INS immediately to ensure that
GC removal is started. It was a weird experience. She was initially very rude in her
dealings however cooled down a lot later on and started advising me how to find jobs
and apartment before landing.

I am planning to call up the Buffalo office to discuss this however probably will not
be of any help.

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 2:37 am
Canadian

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

If I'm not too mistaken, it's illegal for a CIC officer to inform the US authorities
regarding your intention to land. There are treaties to that effect. If I were you,
I'd certainly have a good lawyer do a number on the CIC post you presented yourself
at. I'm quite shocked and saddened that a Canadian Immigration officer would make
life so hard for someone.

ZAP the Browser

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 3:56 am
vvgg

I am in favor of Andrew Miller. There is lot more to it. I also landed in Toronto
from US. I had H1B but had no problems. I had goods to follow, Money etc...

And another thing you are trying to cross border from Windsor Why? If you like
Toronto why are you not simply fly to Toronto.Remember, it's costs more money to take
a train from Windsor to Toronto.

I think what you might be planning to do. Since you seems to be single and you have
green card, you want to land in Canada and then sponser your parents, would be
wife.Because with GC in US it's impossible.

And don't give me shit that you like Toronto and wants to move there. You must be
working in US for past 7-8 year or more. And now, you decide to move to Canada.

God is watching you. Also, Immigration authorities are watching you...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 5:56 am
Mmoose1234

Whether you do or donot try to help the original poster is your own business. But I
think it is a pretty horrible to make completely speculative statements about the
poster's personality, motives, and such. How unprofessional and unhuman! WHY would
anyone do such a thing?!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Well i had a really bad landing experience today at Windsor. I had been a US Green[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Card holder for the last 3 years but applied for Canadian PR last year and got it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> There was no hidden secret here, I really wanted to move to Canada because I like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Toronto a lot. Today I tried to land at Windsor, and the immigration officer[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> stopped me saying that I can land only after I had surrendered my US GC. I told[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> her that I will only do that after I settle down in Canada which can take close to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 3 months. While I am looking for a job in Canada, I need to maintain my US GC[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> otherwise I cannot claim my salary from my employer. In fact I had discussed the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> same thing during my Quality Control Interview at Buffalo and they had told me[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> that Canada allows a landed immigrant six months to settle their affair at home[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and during that period I could maintain my US GC after that I would have to cancel[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> it, which was fine by me. The immigration Officer at Windsor initially was very[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> rude and she said that so many people are trying to play this trick. I do not know[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> what trick she was talking about. If I did not want to move to Canada and just[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> wanted to visit CA, I was entitled to do that automatically being a commonwealth[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> citizen and a US PR holder. In fact, I had tried finding a job and house before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> landing, the way she suggested, but it was difficult. Every landlord/seller wants[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> bank accounts, job reference and asks for immigration status. I had talked to two[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> companies for employment and they told me the same thing, that I should land first[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and then discuss terms and conditions with them. I do not know what does Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> want? Do the immigration officers expect us to land without job and house and then[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> live without pay for 3 months.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 6:32 am
Andrew Miller

Mmoose1234,

Where in my post did I make "completely speculative statements about the poster's
personality, motives, and such"????

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Subject: Re: Couldn't Land. What a experience!! From: "Andrew Miller"[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[email protected] Date: 6/21/2001 3:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time Message-id:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> ><9%[email protected]>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Obviously it was something more to it that just the fact that you are a GC holder[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >to not allow you to formally land in Canada. Most likely you just showed at the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >border without any household goods and without a list of imported goods and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >goods to follow and it was a clear indication to immigration officer that you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >don't have any intention to establish your permanent residency in Canada at this[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >time - and this is why you were refused landing. Or maybe it was something more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >you are not telling us about...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >--[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >sending an email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> >> Well i had a really bad landing experience today at Windsor. I had been a US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Green Card holder for the last 3 years but applied for Canadian PR last year and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> got it. There was no hidden secret here, I really wanted to move to Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> because I like Toronto a lot. Today I tried to land at Windsor, and the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> immigration officer stopped me saying that I can land only after I had[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> surrendered my US GC. I told her that I will only do that after I settle down in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Canada which can take close to 3 months. While I am looking for a job in Canada,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> I need to maintain my US GC otherwise I cannot claim my salary from my employer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> In fact I had discussed the same thing during my Quality Control Interview at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Buffalo and they had told me that Canada allows a landed immigrant six months to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> settle their affair at home and during that period I could maintain my US GC[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> after that I would have to cancel it, which was fine by me. The immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Officer at Windsor initially was very rude and she said that so many people are[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> trying to play this trick. I do not know what trick she was talking about. If I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> did not want to move to Canada and just wanted to visit CA, I was entitled to do[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> that automatically being a commonwealth citizen and a US PR holder. In fact, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> had tried finding a job and house before landing, the way she suggested, but it[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> was difficult. Every landlord/seller wants bank accounts, job reference and asks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> for immigration status. I had talked to two companies for employment and they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> told me the same thing, that I should land first and then discuss terms and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> conditions with them. I do not know what does Canada want? Do the immigration[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> officers expect us to land without job and house and then live without pay for 3[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> months.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 3:51 pm
David Cohen

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Did you quote the information that you have been provided during your QA interview?
Did you mention the response of landlords and prospective employers?

An immigration official at the port of entry can refuse landing if it appears that
the candidate does not genuinely intend to establish himself as a permanent resident
of Canada. There have been several reported cases in which such candidates with H1 or
GC status in the USA have been refused landing on these grounds. This has been most
prevalent at the specific port of entry that you are referring to.

Evidence of your intent to establish yourself in Canada should be available at the
time of landing.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 5:53 pm
someoneelse

I hope CIC are browsing this newsgroup so they see what this dishonest arrogant
little shit is trying to do. even if you've found a loophole in the law you're not
someone canada or any other country should want. hope they give you a hard time on
your next attempt too.

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 8:22 pm
doss

well, its nothing new. here we have a prime dickhead, trying to be clever with the authorities! and how strange that it's another indian? why oh why is this and other columns full of dickheads like this trying to pull the wool over someones eyes? if you've been living and working in the US, there should be no reason really to move to canada, unless you REALLY do like it!! i agree with the other poster in this thread--you are trying to be clever. so myadvice to the authorities is to grab hold of youor skinny neck and put you back on the boat to india/pakistan or wherever you come from. and go try the same in your own country and see where it gets you--a severe beating with no chance of appeal. arseholes like this give the genuine guys a bad name. by the way, ive lived in india and seen "with mine eyes" what a nasty corrupt lot most of them are, trying to screw you every which way they can!!!!!but there are some nice guys too---about 1 in a million!

Old Jun 22nd 2001, 8:47 pm
kunjah8

Always travel by air from USA to Canada in this type of case, there is less harm and
people on airports are more friendly ...........

Old Jun 24th 2001, 7:37 am
nobody

David Cohen wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Is there at least an appeal process on denied landing? I mean a person can spend
years of waiting in order to obtain an immigrant visa. During the process probably
dozens of government employees examine his/her documents and conclude that he/she is
suitable to live in Canada.

Can one immigration officer at the port of entry singlehandedly decide that all that
effort was a mistake and take away the visa? Or the landing papers are still usable
at a later date after a failed landing?

N.