Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Coul pass to Canada by US border without PR or PRTD?

Coul pass to Canada by US border without PR or PRTD?

Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

rafavaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coul pass to Canada by US border without PR or PRTD?

hello everybody, excuse me if I don't write very well, I hope you could understand, my wife is spanish, she does not have the PR card, and sicne she haven't been in Canada for more than 730 days there is a risk that PRTD be not aproved, so she could pass to Canada by US border walking just with her spanish passport and her COPR? thank you very much, please I apreciatee answers because is urgent, we have a little girl in the same situation!!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coul pass to Canada by US border without PR or PRTD?

Originally Posted by rafavaro
hello everybody, excuse me if I don't write very well, I hope you could understand, my wife is spanish, she does not have the PR card, and sicne she haven't been in Canada for more than 730 days there is a risk that PRTD be not aproved, so she could pass to Canada by US border walking just with her spanish passport and her COPR? thank you very much, please I apreciatee answers because is urgent, we have a little girl in the same situation!!
She can do that, but that won't help if she doesn't meet the residency obligation - all border agents can simply look on their computer to see her info and the card isn't relevant to that.

When did she actually land and gain PR status, and how much time has she spent in Canada since? What about your status, are you in Canada?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely if she is crossing by the land border, the US side will just take her passport and have her pay the $6 to get her I-94, and on the way back on the Canadian side she can show her COPR/Spanish pp with entry PR stamp and she will be OK. Its if she is travelling by air back to Canada where she will require a PR card or PRTD.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Has she been physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in the past 5 years?

You say she hasn't been in Canada for the last 2 years, so was she here for at least 730 days in the 3 years before that?

If the answer to both of those questions is 'No', then she has not met her Canadian residency obligations to be a Permanent Resident.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Most likely if she is crossing by the land border, the US side will just take her passport and have her pay the $6 to get her I-94, and on the way back on the Canadian side she can show her COPR/Spanish pp with entry PR stamp and she will be OK. Its if she is travelling by air back to Canada where she will require a PR card or PRTD.
Incorrect, if she has not met the requirements for retaining PR.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

thank you very much for your quickle answers! unfortunately she does not meet the 730 days, we made landing in may 2013 , and stay in Canada just for one week , but the period of 5 years ends in May 2018 rigth? I want to know if she will be allowed to entry , maybe with a report or somethimg like that , I am here in Canada from january so I only have 4 mouth , we have a little girl in the same situacion as her but she does got here PR card , thank you again!!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much for your quickle answers! unfortunately she does not meet the 730 days, we made landing in may 2013 , and stay in Canada just for one week , but the period of 5 years ends in May 2018 rigth? I want to know if she will be allowed to entry , maybe with a report or somethimg like that , I am here in Canada from january so I only have 4 mouth , we have a little girl in the same situacion as her but she does got here PR card , thank you again!!
Why is she even trying to enter if you know she doesn't meet the residency requirement? That seems an awfully stressful situation to put her and a child through.

Couldn't she just renounce her PR status and then you apply to sponsor her if you are living there?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
Has she been physically present in Canada for at least 730 days in the past 5 years?

You say she hasn't been in Canada for the last 2 years, so was she here for at least 730 days in the 3 years before that?

If the answer to both of those questions is 'No', then she has not met her Canadian residency obligations to be a Permanent Resident.
the answer is NO, but, do you think she will be alowed to entry? we landed in may 2013 and reamined in Canada jus one week, but the 5 years period teorically ends in may 2018
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why is she even trying to enter if you know she doesn't meet the residency requirement? That seems an awfully stressful situation to put her and a child through.

Couldn't she just renounce her PR status and then you apply to sponsor her if you are living there?
yes, we have thought about it , but I prefer to try to rescue their PR , and I don't know if I could meet the minimal requeirments to sponsor them, I just have 5 mouth here and have a temporal job on a factory ,thank you!!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

the answer is NO, but, do you think she will be alowed to entry? we landed in may 2013 and reamined in Canada jus one week, but the 5 years period teorically ends in may 2018
And she hasn't visited again between that landing trip & now? She can only have missed it by a couple of weeks
Old Jun 13th 2016, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I don't see how she can meet the requirements then, remember that it's a rolling 5 year period.

So she will be allowed to enter, but if her lack of time in Canada is noticed (it's pretty much guaranteed it will be unless you get a half asleep border officer!), then she'll be allowed to enter but have to appear at a hearing where her PR is likely to be revoked. As I said, an awful lot of stress for your wife and daughter if you know that they can't meet the residency obligation.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't see how she can meet the requirements then, remember that it's a rolling 5 year period.

So she will be allowed to enter, but if her lack of time in Canada is noticed (it's pretty much guaranteed it will be unless you get a half asleep border officer!), then she'll be allowed to enter but have to appear at a hearing where her PR is likely to be revoked. As I said, an awful lot of stress for your wife and daughter if you know that they can't meet the residency obligation.
yes thank you very much, we know the less strees situation is Renounce, but I really don't know if I could sponsor them in my currentlly stuation, and will be expensive
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You need to decide if Canada is where you really want to be and if so, which Province?

There must be reasons why you applied for PR, got PR and then left the country? Where did you go?

Does living in Canada make financial sense?

Are your wife and daughter currently in Spain?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by withabix
You need to decide if Canada is where you really want to be and if so, which Province?

There must be reasons why you applied for PR, got PR and then left the country? Where did you go?

Does living in Canada make financial sense?

Are your wife and daughter currently in Spain?
yes, we know that, its a decision that we have made but for some family reasons we did not come before, may I send you a pv message??
Old Jun 13th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there an extenuating circumstances clause for not meeting residency obligations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.