Correction to work permit query

Old May 9th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Correction to work permit query

I have a bit of an unusual question - well I haven't found anyone else who this has happened to anyway.

We recently had our work permit and open work permit issued at the Niagara crossing which was fine however noticed afterwards that my address details were incorrect (wrong town) even though my husband's were correct and the employer location restricted to another city from the one in which I live.

Well I finally got through to a person at CIC who said that was fine it would be amended and employer location would be changed to Ontario and I would receive an amended permit in 5 to 10 days. So I though everything was fine and dandy. Wrong!

About a month later I receive a form to be completed to request a correction to a permit with a charge to be paid for this service!! Well I completed all the forms, sent copies of everything but also sent a letter to state that I shouldn't be charged as the error was on the part of the immigration officer.

Another month later I have received a request to attend an interview regarding this

Haven't a clue what's going on and would be grateful if anyone could shed any light and I'm baffled why I have to go for an formal interview to amend an error which was their fault in the first place :curse:

Thanks
Old May 9th 2007, 7:00 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correction to work permit query

They will probably give you the corrected permit at the interview. They may go over things with you, and of course you missed the error when the original permit was given to you. The moral is always check documents when you receive them.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
They will probably give you the corrected permit at the interview. They may go over things with you, and of course you missed the error when the original permit was given to you. The moral is always check documents when you receive them.
Thanks Jim

This is good advice for me too as I have to pick up my SoWP at the end of the month

Gaynor
x
Old May 10th 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jim, that has put my mind at rest a little. Thought something was up as it seems a waste of resources interviewing someone when it's just a slight error with the address (Mississauga instead of Oakville).

Anyway I have gathered everything together and I hope it will all be cleared up. Do you know why the work permit application forms weren't taken from us at the border crossing as they were returned to us with all the other info?

It is a lesson learned to check everything but when you are in a busy office with people waiting it is a little intimidating to stand there and check everything before you leave - I had assumed the immigration officer would be highly diligent with information such as this.

Anyway thanks again,

Sarah
Old May 10th 2007, 2:52 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian Border Service officers usually get it right but assumptions are always a risk.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Hi

When we went over to Calgary recently the immigration officer asked if I wanted an open work permit (we hadn't applied for one originally when we applied to London for Darren's work permit). She was very chatty and spent the whole time she was processing the information talking to us. We watched her fold the work permits up into the passports and then because the boys were fed up and playing up a bit by this time, we just took them back and I just shoved them all in my bag - without checking them unfortunately! When we had driven away from the airport I got mine out to have a look at it and realised that she had put my Gender in as "male" (which of course the three real males in the family thought was hilarious)

I had been assuming that if I go back to immigration when I move over, it would be a simple procedure for them to just do me another permit, but having read this thread, it does not sound like it.

Serves me right for not checking it there and then.

Lisa