Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

COPR stamped "Not Valid for Travel"

Wikiposts

COPR stamped "Not Valid for Travel"

Old Jul 3rd 2021, 2:30 am
Just Joined

WinBelle23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default COPR stamped "Not Valid for Travel"

Hi, I am a newbie just now having found this forum by googling the following question. I've joined up as it looks like this forum could be invaluable. We have just received COPR (through the PGP programme) this morning and the IMM5688 is stamped Not Valid for Travel which has totally confused me. Would anyone be kind enough to explain this to me please. Many thanks for your help.
Jenny
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 2:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COPR stamped "Not Valid for Travel"

Originally Posted by WinBelle23
Hi, I am a newbie just now having found this forum by googling the following question. I've joined up as it looks like this forum could be invaluable. We have just received COPR (through the PGP programme) this morning and the IMM5688 is stamped Not Valid for Travel which has totally confused me. Would anyone be kind enough to explain this to me please. Many thanks for your help.
Jenny
Hello and Welcome to BE!
Congrats on getting your COPR!

"Not Valid For Travel" simply means that it can't be used in place of a 'valid travel document' - i.e. a passport

You might find our wiki of use - lots of invaluable info.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 3rd 2021 at 2:55 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It means you cannot use the form in lieu of another travel document. Basically you cannot use it as a travel document and must use a passport or other form of travel document to travel. I suggest once you have landed put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it safe as you will need it again about 40 years later when having to apply for CPP etc etc.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It means you cannot use the form in lieu of another travel document. Basically you cannot use it as a travel document and must use a passport or other form of travel document to travel. I suggest once you have landed put it in a plastic sleeve and keep it safe as you will need it again about 40 years later when having to apply for CPP etc etc.
Thank you for this although I doubt I''ll be using it in 40 years time as this would make me on the way to 110 years old LOL!
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you, this has put my mind at rest
Old Jul 4th 2021, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WinBelle23
Jenny
A little word of warning. Get to airport at least an extra hour earlier than normal if you are a COPR holder. Staff at check in are frequently confused when they ask you for your documents and see "not valid for travel" in red across the front of the COPR. I travelled twice last year once as a COPR holder and once accompanying a COPR holder. On both occasions we had the same issue namely the check in staff saying you can't travel with this document because is not valid for travel. Both times the supervisors were initially unavailable because they were dealing with other issues and we ended waiting a long time for things to be resolved. On both occasions the supervisors quickly sorted it out but on the 2nd trip we only just made our flight by pleading quite forcibly to be allowed to jump the security queues and running the whole length of the airport.
Old Jul 4th 2021, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Oh, thanks so much for this advice - it doesn't surprise me, it seems such an odd thing but I suppose it makes sense to someone, LOL. Unfortunately, staff on the ground often appear to lack the full training necessary for an efficient service! We will make sure we have PLENTY of time