Confused as hell

Old May 10th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Tattoocaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused as hell

So I'm currently on a working visa and it's up in August etc so I have to extend it around June as told by border control people when I activated it.

I was on my cox account not to long ago but as I just went on it to look about extending my working visa it is saying my details are revoked. Like I'm confused what does this even mean exactly and why has it done this. How does one fix this cause now I'm worried.

Thanks in advance. ☹️
Old May 10th 2017, 11:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused as hell

Can you clarify what you mean by 'working visa', do you mean an IEC, an open work permit, or a Temporary Work Permit?

It's just that I thought you were on an IEC, but they can't be extended at all, so I'm wondering if I've misunderstood. And is 'cox account' a typo? If you can clarify, then we can try and help.
Old May 10th 2017, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Sorry about typo.meant cic account lol. I am on an iec yes and I got told at the border as I flagpoled that it could be extended I would just have to do it a few months prior to it ending as it was only a 10 month one for whatever reason.
Old May 10th 2017, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tattoocaz
Sorry about typo.meant cic account lol. I am on an iec yes and I got told at the border as I flagpoled that it could be extended I would just have to do it a few months prior to it ending as it was only a 10 month one for whatever reason.
Ah, ok. You'll have been given 10 months because your passport expired then, or you only had insurance until then, or something similar.

Don't worry about your CIC account, as far as they're concerned you've been given your IEC so I'm guessing that's why it will be saying your details are revoked, because your application is all done. You just need to apply to extend it (giving details of why you're allowed to extend it i.e. if it was because your old passport expired, you need to give details of the new one), you can do that using the forms here - Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada

I would recommend you do that asap, you may have been told June but I personally wouldn't leave it that long, as you no doubt are aware there's no implied status with an IEC, so if it's not processed by the time your current IEC expires, you'd have to stop working. So best to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 10th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm currently on a working visa and it's up in August etc so I have to extend it around June as told by border control people when I activated it.

I was on my cox account not to long ago but as I just went on it to look about extending my working visa it is saying my details are revoked. Like I'm confused what does this even mean exactly and why has it done this. How does one fix this cause now I'm worried.

Thanks in advance. ☹️
If you're looking to extend an IEC, hopefully that was because your passport was too short when you arrived? (The alternative is an administrative error was made in the processing, but that seems unlikely if the CBSA officer explicitly told you you'd need to lengthen it).

I hope it wasn't because you didn't have full insurance? Because if that was the case, it can't be extended later, even though some CBSA officers tell people they'll have to do that.
Old May 10th 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

This is the thing tho I was going home last November cause I had until this year to activate it etc but I decided I wanted to stay after driving to the airport so I went to the border next day. The guy said it had already activated when I arrived in October which was news to me because I hadn't asked for it to be activated they questioned me and such about why I was here etc and I told them I did have a visa but I wasn't planning on activation got till I came bk over in 2017 cause I was still wanting to save all I could and that was fine etc. At the airport when I landed.

At the border they told me it was done in October I was annoyed and that it was up in Augusta and if I was planning to extend it do to it June. They didn't ask to look at insurance they just looked at pictures of my bank. And my passport isn't up until 2020 or 2022 so as you can probably imagine I'm getting very freaked out lol.
Old May 10th 2017, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having extreme difficulty parsing your sequence of events, can you check my interpretation:

August 25 2016: You were approved for IEC.
October 2016: You arrived as a visitor.
November 2016: You thought about going home, instead you flagpoled, and were told your permit had already been started in October. Your permit expires August 2017.

If that's the case, then it sounds like your permit was wrongly set to expire at the end of the validity period of the letter of introduction (one year from issue - so August 2017). This is a relatively common error. Although I don't know how it would be activated by accident - it involves going to the immigration office (not just the passport control booths), & getting a printout that's stapled into your passport - did you get that printout at either the October landing or the November flagpoling?

Assuming you have a permit, you should follow the instructions at Extend or change your work permit – International Experience Canada for the expiry of your permit is wrong.
Old May 10th 2017, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

I am sorry for confusion people I came here on the 17th august and was leaving on Halloween but decided to stay. Went to the border crossing flagpoled and got told my visa had already been activated in October which was very odd to me and he never checked insurance etc he printed off my document and stapled it to my passport he said it expires Augustus thing its around the middle of august and to extend it around June to make sure it was done before it expired.
Old May 10th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be clear:

1. What date you were actually given the WP in your hand?

2. What is the From date what is the To date?

3. Are there any notes/remarks at the bottom at the Work Permit?

4. When you were admitted as a Visitor: what does the stamp in your PP say? (any dates?)

Last edited by Snowy560; May 10th 2017 at 6:36 pm.
Old May 11th 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

I got the work permit on the 1st of November
It's from 1st November to 15th September but he told me it was activated in august so not sure why etc
Only remarks are the usual no sex trade must leave Canada by the 25th September unless authorized and j can't study and if I'm extending or changing the visa it has to be done before my time runs out.
And it just got stamped and a little line bc it happens a few times I come here because I tell them I have a gf here so I go through and get put in that other line before I can go out into the open waiting area where people are waiting for families.

Hope this helps you help me cause I'm stressed.

Oh and also for my gf to sponsor me she's not even on her own apt lease her step dad set it up for her when she moved from Ontario.
So what is the stuff really needed like she pays the bills and I get food and stuff and my own phone bill bc I have money I send bk home still for a while. And I fear it's going to look desperate if we now set up a joint bank acc.

And I went home in November 14th till Jan 14 cause my mums sister died so I can't count that towards being together is it 6 months for same sex couple or a year ? Kept getting told differently.

Thanks tho for helping out.
Old May 11th 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

And I went home in November 14th till Jan 14 cause my mums sister died so I can't count that towards being together is it 6 months for same sex couple or a year ? Kept getting told differently.
K, this is the easiest bit. You must live together as a conjugal couple for 12 months continuously. If you moved back in with her in January 2017, the earliest you can apply for common law PR is January 2018.
Old May 11th 2017, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
K, this is the easiest bit. You must live together as a conjugal couple for 12 months continuously. If you moved back in with her in January 2017, the earliest you can apply for common law PR is January 2018.
So that means she can't sponsor me and I get to wait here till it's done ?
Old May 11th 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

It means (if you have been living together, and can prove it, from January 2017), that she can sponsor you from January 2018. If you want her to sponsor you before then, you will need to get married.
Old May 11th 2017, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

So I can't get an extension or anything. So what was previously said that they might have used the wrong date when giving my my visa. Why would a border officer tell me I can easily extend it online. Ughhh ☹️
Old May 11th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, this is completely separate from your expiry date issues.

For a common law application, you must live together for 12 consecutive months. It doesn't matter if that's on work permits, study permits, visitor status, any combination of the above, in the same country or not (so long as you're both together at the same time) - you could live 8 months in Britain together, get on the same plane to Canada, live 4 months in Canada together, that's 12 months, you qualify. So long as you have lived together as a couple for 12 months.

If you have not yet lived together for 12 consecutive months, and you were most recently apart from Nov 2016-Jan 2017, then the earliest a 12 month stretch can be accomplished is January 2018.

Separately from that, you have your IEC timeline. If it was issued with a short date due to an administrative error, or your passport being short, you can extend it online. If it was issued short because your insurance was short, you cannot extend it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.