Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Confused by CRS and Express Entry Tools??

Confused by CRS and Express Entry Tools??

Old Aug 31st 2019, 10:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused by CRS and Express Entry Tools??

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this and bit confused with the points tools on the cic website. Using the CRS tool I score only 302 points, using the express entry tool (FSW program - Check if you are eligible link) I get more than the 67 points needed to emigrate. So one tool indicates that I couldn't migrate due to not enough points and one says the opposite. So what is the connection between these 2 tools?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31st 2019, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused by CRS and Express Entry Tools??

Originally Posted by ypat1388
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this and bit confused with the points tools on the cic website. Using the CRS tool I score only 302 points, using the express entry tool (FSW program - Check if you are eligible link) I get more than the 67 points needed to emigrate. So one tool indicates that I couldn't migrate due to not enough points and one says the opposite. So what is the connection between these 2 tools?
Thanks in advance.
Hi, welcome to BE.

The FSW is essentially the first step, you need to meet that points score to qualify to be able to enter the Express Entry 'pool' of applicants. Anybody scoring over 67 as a FSW can enter the pool (as long as they meet the other criteria of course i.e. they've got skilled work experience etc). But then once in the pool, only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR and that's where the CRS comes in - you'd need above approx 450 as a rough guide to be in with a chance of being selected.

Your scores are a bit odd though, as 302 is a very low score and doesn't seem to match up with somebody scoring over 67 as a FSW. Can you break them both down for us? And what job would you be applying under?
Old Aug 31st 2019, 11:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, my CRS score does seem low when I am scoring just over 67 for the FSW :

Language : 20
Education : 23
Work Expereince : 15
Arranged Employment : 0
Spouse Langauge : 5
Relative in Canada : 5
----------------------------------------- Total 68

CRS :

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 0
  • Level of education = 126
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 112
    • First Official Language = 112
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 238

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 0
  • First Official Languages = 12
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 12

Skill transferability factors

Education

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

Foreign work experience

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 25

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 50

Comprehensive Ranking System formula

Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 300

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 15

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 15

Grand total = 315
Old Aug 31st 2019, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ypat1388
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, my CRS score does seem low when I am scoring just over 67 for the FSW :

Skill transferability factors

Education

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

Foreign work experience

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 25

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 50
So it looks like you have a masters + spouse/common law partner. In which case, I think you should be getting 50 points for each of these sections and 100 overall. Assuming you are a native English speaker getting over CLB 9 should be doable. Overall though, looks like your age is going to work against you, so you should look at getting a job offer through LMIA or the provincial nomination programs of where you would like to settle.