Confused about Visitor Visa

Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:05 am
Sue Barrell

Default Confused about Visitor Visa

My husband is currently in Canada with me and he has been travelling back and forth
between the US and here over the last 6 years. He has never stayed for more than 6
months out of the year until now. He has been back and forth 4 times in the last 8
months but the accumulated time spent here is about 6 months. He is going to the US
for Easter and now is concerned that he cannot come back unless he stays there for 6
months. That would be unbearable.

Since he has never applied for a Visitor Visa (because the CIC website states that US
citizens don't need one) can he apply for an "Extension" to come back?

He does not work in Canada (other than give his dad advice on running the computer
network back home). We live with my parents and I work at 2 jobs. We have only been
married for 1 day. We have been working on getting all the paperwork together to
apply under the "Humanitarian and Compasionate" category. We have been waiting for
Clearance Certificates from the FBI and State police to complete the process.

Any bit of advice would help. I'm on the West Coast and may be interested in hiring a
consultant to assist.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 3:35 am
Jim Humphries

Default Re: Confused about Visitor Visa

Your husband does not need a visitor visa. Apparently he does not want a permanent
residence visa either. Since he has been travelling back and forth for years now
there should be no problem. Jim Humphries

Sue Barrell wrote:
    >
    > My husband is currently in Canada with me and he has been travelling back and forth
    > between the US and here over the last 6 years. He has never stayed for more than 6
    > months out of the year until now. He has been back and forth 4 times in the last 8
    > months but the accumulated time spent here is about 6 months. He is going to the US
    > for Easter and now is concerned that he cannot come back unless he stays there for
    > 6 months. That would be unbearable.
    >
    > Since he has never applied for a Visitor Visa (because the CIC website states that
    > US citizens don't need one) can he apply for an "Extension" to come back?
    >
    > He does not work in Canada (other than give his dad advice on running the computer
    > network back home). We live with my parents and I work at 2 jobs. We have only been
    > married for 1 day. We have been working on getting all the paperwork together to
    > apply under the "Humanitarian and Compasionate" category. We have been waiting for
    > Clearance Certificates from the FBI and State police to complete the process.
    >
    > Any bit of advice would help. I'm on the West Coast and may be interested in hiring
    > a consultant to assist.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 6:05 pm
Sue Barrell

We are working on puting together the paperwork for him to become a permanent
resident and have not filed it yet. The immigration help line said that if he has
been in Canada for more than 6 month out of the previous 12 months he can't come back
without a "permission".

Jim Humphries <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Your husband does not need a visitor visa. Apparently he does not want a permanent
    > residence visa either. Since he has been travelling back and forth for years now
    > there should be no problem. Jim Humphries
    >
    > Sue Barrell wrote:
    > >
    > > My husband is currently in Canada with me and he has been travelling back and
    > > forth between the US and here over the last 6 years. He has never stayed for more
    > > than 6 months out of the year until now. He has been back and forth 4 times in
    > > the last 8 months but the accumulated time spent here is about 6 months. He is
    > > going to the US for Easter and now is concerned that he cannot come back unless
    > > he stays there for 6 months. That would be unbearable.
    > >
    > > Since he has never applied for a Visitor Visa (because the CIC website states
    > > that US citizens don't need one) can he apply for an "Extension" to come back?
    > >
    > > He does not work in Canada (other than give his dad advice on running the
    > > computer network back home). We live with my parents and I work at 2 jobs. We
    > > have only been married for 1 day. We have been working on getting all the
    > > paperwork together to apply under the "Humanitarian and Compasionate" category.
    > > We have been waiting for Clearance Certificates from the FBI and State police to
    > > complete the process.
    > >
    > > Any bit of advice would help. I'm on the West Coast and may be interested in
    > > hiring a consultant to assist.

Old Mar 28th 2002, 6:35 pm
Jim Humphries

If he overstayed - i.e. over 6 months without an extension of his stay being applied
for - then he may attract more attention from the immigration officer at the border
since he did not comply with visitor requirements. I hope that clarifies things. The
best thing to do would be to get your sponsorship process started. Jim Humphries

Sue Barrell wrote:
    >
    > We are working on puting together the paperwork for him to become a permanent
    > resident and have not filed it yet. The immigration help line said that if he has
    > been in Canada for more than 6 month out of the previous 12 months he can't come
    > back without a "permission".
    >
    > Jim Humphries <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Your husband does not need a visitor visa. Apparently he does not want a
    > > permanent residence visa either. Since he has been travelling back and forth for
    > > years now there should be no problem. Jim Humphries
    > >
    > > Sue Barrell wrote:
    > > >
    > > > My husband is currently in Canada with me and he has been travelling back and
    > > > forth between the US and here over the last 6 years. He has never stayed for
    > > > more than 6 months out of the year until now. He has been back and forth 4
    > > > times in the last 8 months but the accumulated time spent here is about 6
    > > > months. He is going to the US for Easter and now is concerned that he cannot
    > > > come back unless he stays there for 6 months. That would be unbearable.
    > > >
    > > > Since he has never applied for a Visitor Visa (because the CIC website states
    > > > that US citizens don't need one) can he apply for an "Extension" to come back?
    > > >
    > > > He does not work in Canada (other than give his dad advice on running the
    > > > computer network back home). We live with my parents and I work at 2 jobs. We
    > > > have only been married for 1 day. We have been working on getting all the
    > > > paperwork together to apply under the "Humanitarian and Compasionate" category.
    > > > We have been waiting for Clearance Certificates from the FBI and State police
    > > > to complete the process.
    > > >
    > > > Any bit of advice would help. I'm on the West Coast and may be interested in
    > > > hiring a consultant to assist.