Common law sponsorship

Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:25 am
Just Joined

golfqueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Common law sponsorship

Hi,

I am a newbie. I've been in Canada for 11 months now as a visitor (TRP) from the Philippines. I applied for another extension so my canadian boyfriend can sponsor me as common law partner by end of this month. Do you recommend to apply while I am in Canada or should we apply in the my home country (Philippines)? I appreciate any suggestions.

Golfqueen
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:27 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law sponsorship

Originally Posted by golfqueen
Hi,

I am a newbie. I've been in Canada for 11 months now as a visitor (TRP) from the Philippines. I applied for another extension so my canadian boyfriend can sponsor me as common law partner by end of this month. Do you recommend to apply while I am in Canada or should we apply in the my home country (Philippines)? I appreciate any suggestions.

Golfqueen
Are you on a TRP or TRV? In any case apply within Canada.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Common law sponsorship

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I am on Temporary Resident Permit or visitor's visa. CIC website said that processing time outside Canada is faster and less risk. I don't know how true so I am seeking advice and suggestions. My boyfriend and I prefer to apply within Canada but we want to make sure that it is the right decision.

If I apply in the Philippines, there is no guarantee that Canadian Embassy will grant me another visitor's visa (multiple entry this time) while I am waiting for common-law sponship approval. Am I correct? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Golfqueen
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:06 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by golfqueen
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I am on Temporary Resident Permit or visitor's visa. CIC website said that processing time outside Canada is faster and less risk. I don't know how true so I am seeking advice and suggestions. My boyfriend and I prefer to apply within Canada but we want to make sure that it is the right decision.

If I apply in the Philippines, there is no guarantee that Canadian Embassy will grant me another visitor's visa (multiple entry this time) while I am waiting for common-law sponship approval. Am I correct? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Golfqueen
You are on a TRV it seems, not a permit. A permit would have been issued only if you were out of status or in the enforcement stream for some reason. If you leave you will almost certainly have to apply overseas and you will almost certainly not be able to get another TRV. You need to keep your status legal if you apply from within Canada so you would have to apply for an extension so that you and your spouse can prepare the sponsorship and application for PR.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear from you again. Yes, I already applied for an extension and just waiting for a reply. Common law sponsorship requires at least 12 months of living together. Our 12th month is on March 28/06. There are 2 options on mArch 28 onwards. Either we apply here in Canada or go back to the Philippines and apply there. What do you think is the best way? Thanks so much.

Golfqueen