Wikiposts

Common Law/ Skilled worker

Old May 14th 2008, 5:39 am
Just Joined

situnayakea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Law/ Skilled worker

Hi, apologies if this is already covered but here goes...
I am a 40 year old Software engineer and qualify for the skilled worker programme i also notice that software engineer is on the occupations under pressure list for vancouver (where i wish to emmigrate)...I have been with my girl friend for over five years nd have lived together for two years, although a year of that was spent travelling, for the last year we have been on the elctoral role at the same address and she has mail delivered to the house but that is the extent of our ties in terms of common law....My girlfriend was born in canada and can apply(re apply) for a canadian passport....her brother is also living in vancouver...basically i am interested in finding out the quickest emmigration route for us as a couple...I know the skilled worker takes 5 years and would be too long a wait...can any one advise me on the best way forward, we would want to emmigrate in about a year after my partner completes her "newly qualified teacher" year.
Could we get in on a family application...or am i stuck with skilled worker...or could i also qualify quicker as i am in the occupations under pressure list?
sorry for the long email but really need some impartial advice!
Cheers.....need to get in before i'm 45!!!!
Old May 14th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Common Law/ Skilled worker

hm i do not know about the wait on skills in demand..but from what i am hearing ..people are applying for spouse Permanent Residency and are getting them fast! ..i would think that if you started your common law spouse application ASAP..you would have back in time for when she finishes her education and then to move over..i think that could be a valid route to take.

there will be plenty more along with answers. many here have taken both routes and will be able to share their expereinces...

plus you will get lots of support here...to help with the applications.

all the best!
Old May 14th 2008, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

morungos is an unknown quantity at this point

I got fed up waiting and went through on a temporary work permit. I started simply by trying to get a job! Certain NOC codes (999X) in the IT sector do not require an LMO, and this simplified things considerably. We took the advice on an immigration consultant, and with a little care in the letter written by my future (now current) employer, which matched up against the NOC specifications, I was able to apply at port of entry for a work permit. My partner has subsequently joined me here (Toronto).

If your work in the IT sector matches up, you may want to explore this route. It was certainly fast - less than a month between interview and moving over! On the down-side, getting an IT job was a challenge. I had to work pretty hard to get the right tone in applications. It also helped that I eventually got through to a smaller company that did not have a large HR department screening staff. In the end, my application got picked up by the technically-aware people in the company and everything went smoothly, and much speedier than I was used to.

And of course, once inside Canada, the 5 year wait is no longer such an issue.

Good luck, whichever route it goes.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by situnayakea
Hi, apologies if this is already covered but here goes...
I am a 40 year old Software engineer and qualify for the skilled worker programme i also notice that software engineer is on the occupations under pressure list for vancouver (where i wish to emmigrate)...I have been with my girl friend for over five years nd have lived together for two years, although a year of that was spent travelling, for the last year we have been on the elctoral role at the same address and she has mail delivered to the house but that is the extent of our ties in terms of common law....My girlfriend was born in canada and can apply(re apply) for a canadian passport....her brother is also living in vancouver...basically i am interested in finding out the quickest emmigration route for us as a couple...I know the skilled worker takes 5 years and would be too long a wait...can any one advise me on the best way forward, we would want to emmigrate in about a year after my partner completes her "newly qualified teacher" year.
Could we get in on a family application...or am i stuck with skilled worker...or could i also qualify quicker as i am in the occupations under pressure list?
sorry for the long email but really need some impartial advice!
Cheers.....need to get in before i'm 45!!!!
Have a read of the Wiki as that will answer all of your questions. Put simply, if your occupation is on the OUP for B.C. then you should be able to move much quicker (on a TWP once you have a job arranged) - however, your potential employer would still have to prove that they cannot find a Canadian to do the job I think.

I have no idea how long it would take your girlfriend to get a Canadian passport, and then in turn to sponsor you so you'd need to look into that. It should give you the info on the Wiki but if not, do a search of the forum and no doubt somebody will have posted timelines for you.

Best of luck.