Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common-law. Quick question regarding flat leases

Common-law. Quick question regarding flat leases

Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

phasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond reputephasee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common-law. Quick question regarding flat leases

Hello,

After a couple of years of researching and reading these forums, I am finally in the position where I can be sponsored as a common law partner to come to Canada as a permanent resident! Very exciting.

I just have a quick question. My girlfriend is Canadian. We currently live in London, UK.

We first moved here and began living together on 16th September 2012. Recently, we have moved to a new flat, the lease began on the 7th September 2013.

It might be a silly question but I was just wondering if this would cause problems with our common law application. We have been living together continuously for over a year and our first lease was valid until 16th September 2013.

Regarding filling out the Sponsor Questionnaire form (IMM5540), for the flat we are currently in. Do I leave the "To" box under the "period of residence" blank, as the residency is on going?

Thanks for your help,
Stephen
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:44 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common-law. Quick question regarding flat leases

Originally Posted by phasee
Hello,

After a couple of years of researching and reading these forums, I am finally in the position where I can be sponsored as a common law partner to come to Canada as a permanent resident! Very exciting.

I just have a quick question. My girlfriend is Canadian. We currently live in London, UK.

We first moved here and began living together on 16th September 2012. Recently, we have moved to a new flat, the lease began on the 7th September 2013.

It might be a silly question but I was just wondering if this would cause problems with our common law application. We have been living together continuously for over a year and our first lease was valid until 16th September 2013.
It shouldn't, there's no requirement to live in the same spot for 12 months, just simply that you live together for 12 months. I assume you are still living together now, so provide a copy of the old lease, and the new lease, with the actual dates you moved (not the lease validity) - you're still over 12 months living together, so it won't be a problem.

Regarding filling out the Sponsor Questionnaire form (IMM5540), for the flat we are currently in. Do I leave the "To" box under the "period of residence" blank, as the residency is on going?

Thanks for your help,
Stephen
That was what we did, we printed it out with the box blank, and then hand-wrote in "PRESENT" instead. (We also applied common-law, had no issues!)