Wikiposts

Common Law Partner question

Old Dec 26th 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Common Law Partner question

My girlfriend and I (she's the Canadian) have been renting out own place in Gloucestershire now for 5 months, but have been 'living together' for 7 months, the first two months we rented a room officially (rent book etc etc) in my parents house.

Can the 2 months with my parents count towards the 12 month minimum needed for the visa? We did rent officially, and have the rent book etc to prove this.

Thanks,
James.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 1:27 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Partner question

Yes.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

yep! they're landlords for you, in as you paid rent etc.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Sounds goof. What would I need to provide for the application - the rent book and our rental agreement? The agreement wasn't done through a solicitor anything, but was done through a 'do it yourself' pack. I hope this would be okay.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

rent book or any kind of documentation (receipts etc) are proof of payment.

edited to add: the more documentation the merrier of course!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it might look better making it really obvious that the first two months were at your parents and keep it at that.

I'm sure people will have time together at parents that has 'counted' as living together without problems.

If it was made to appear a 'rental' situation and then it became known it was actually parents, it could look a little like collusion and arouse suspicion; meaning other things are looked at more thoroughly or the benefit of the doubt not given on another aspect.