Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worker vs Spousal Sponsorship

Skilled Worker vs Spousal Sponsorship

Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

dls2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Worker vs Spousal Sponsorship

Hi there,

I am Canadian, my hubby is a British citizen. We are currently living in Canada because hubby has a one year work permit (to be extended...if need be).

We have chatted with the Provincial Nominee Program people and they say that my husband would be accepted into the program. If so, he would then apply as a Skilled Worker.

We aren't sure if we should go that way, or apply through spousal sponsorship? We've been married for four years, and have been living abroad until 3 months ago when we relocated to Canada. I am pregnant and we've bought a house.

His work experience is what got him the job here, as well as what would help him enter the PNP program - but he doesn't have formal post secondary education. Just wondering if this will affect things?

Thanks so much for any help.

Old Dec 26th 2008, 8:45 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker vs Spousal Sponsorship

There is no question - you should use spousal sponsorship as the fastest, surest way for him to get his PR. It's not even a close call.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

dls2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Would you be able to explain why the Spousal Sponsorship would be quicker?

The PNP people here have already said that they'd accept him. I am so grateful for your help and advice! We are going to have to make a decision soon, and I was looking for more info as to why spousal would be better if he's already working here and the PNP said that they'd accept him into the PNP right away.

Oh, and because I am pregnant, I won't be able to earn money for a while - so would that make me uneligible to be a sponsorer?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by dls2008; Dec 27th 2008 at 11:53 am.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 2:09 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Well the CIC likes to keep spouses together and selection is automatic. You do not need to be working to sponsor - just not on welfare. In Spousal Sponsored cases the medical is done prior to submitting the application so that saves at least a couple of months. It is just more secure.