Common law partner

Old Oct 28th 2004, 10:45 am
Just Joined

magic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common law partner

Dear all,
I will be moving to Canada in Early 2005 as an expatriate sponsored by a company.
I have been going out with my girlfriend for a year (we are getting married at the end of 2005) and I have just moved with her to her house. We have recently open a joint account together and bills under both names and credit cards together. She is planning to move with me in June 2005. That period that we will be separated (I wil be in Canada already and she will be in uk), will also counts in order to clasify her as common law partner? After one year (November 2005) will I be able to include her as my common law partner in my visa or will it be too late? If it is not possible to include her as my common law partner, once we are married in Christmas 2005 will she able to join me there as my wife? The wedding have been planned and deposits paid well before I knew that I was moving to Canada so we are not getting married just to let her in.
Thanks a million to all!
Magic.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common law partner

Hi Magic

Originally Posted by magic
Dear all,
I will be moving to Canada in Early 2005 as an expatriate sponsored by a company.
I have been going out with my girlfriend for a year (we are getting married at the end of 2005) and I have just moved with her to her house. We have recently open a joint account together and bills under both names and credit cards together. She is planning to move with me in June 2005. That period that we will be separated (I wil be in Canada already and she will be in uk), will also counts in order to clasify her as common law partner? After one year (November 2005) will I be able to include her as my common law partner in my visa or will it be too late? If it is not possible to include her as my common law partner, once we are married in Christmas 2005 will she able to join me there as my wife? The wedding have been planned and deposits paid well before I knew that I was moving to Canada so we are not getting married just to let her in.
Thanks a million to all!
Magic.
Not common-law as you won't have lived together continuously for a year. You will have to wait for marriage for her to benefit from open work permit as spouse of work permit holder.

PMM
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

magic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Common law partner

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Magic

Not common-law as you won't have lived together continuously for a year. You will have to wait for marriage for her to benefit from open work permit as spouse of work permit holder.

PMM
Thank you a lof for the info!