Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law Continuous Cohabitation

Common Law Continuous Cohabitation

Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

jk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Common Law Continuous Cohabitation

Hi all,

Just a quick question I haven't been able to find concrete information for, regarding the requirements for application for permanent residence using the common law route.

I understand that you need to have lived with your partner for 1 year continuously but "from time to time one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short."

Can anyone advise on what temporary and short means exactly? I will need to leave Canada for some time, maybe a month or more for work reasons. Will that mean that our cohabitation has been broken and the 1 year resets? Or would that count as being "short"?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Continuous Cohabitation

Originally Posted by jk94441
Hi all,

Just a quick question I haven't been able to find concrete information for, regarding the requirements for application for permanent residence using the common law route.

I understand that you need to have lived with your partner for 1 year continuously but "from time to time one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short."

Can anyone advise on what temporary and short means exactly? I will need to leave Canada for some time, maybe a month or more for work reasons. Will that mean that our cohabitation has been broken and the 1 year resets? Or would that count as being "short"?

Thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately CIC don't publish what is considered temporary or short in this case rather it is left to the discretion of an officer and the circumstances of the case. A month might seem short to some but long for others. How many times does this occur and was the absence essential etc etc.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

jk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond reputejk94441 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Law Continuous Cohabitation

Thanks for the reply. It's annoying though that there isn't any way of getting more definite information on it. It would be really annoying to go through the process of putting the application together and get refused on that.