Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Common Law Application - Advice Needed

Common Law Application - Advice Needed

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:36 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Common Law Application - Advice Needed

It is doable, but more difficult. And if you want to go through inland process than leaving Canada during such process is not a good idea.

Originally Posted by wimpfrey
Thank-you Andrew, although I have one more question.

I might have to leave Canada and go back to UK for a few months without my girlfriend. If I do this can I still apply for common law even though we would be seperated during this time!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Boyee will become famous soon enough

If I might add my tiny pennies worth in this conversation. After my experience and rejection I wished I would have had someone to talk to before we applied for conjugal partner. I tried to sponsor my partner from India. I made the mistake of taking the advice from a lady who works in my MP's office and handles immigration cases in his riding. (She had no idea what she was talking about. it turns out I know more than she did and thats not much) Being a bit stupid to this kind of thing, I listened to her and had I been a bit more bright, we would have found someone like Mr. Miller that I could have atleast talked about things and made a more informed decision. Yes the forms are simple.. No problem. BUT its the other documents of proving your relationship, and other things that just dont cut it if you dont know what you are doing. For example. I was just ending my divorce. I had been waiting for 3 months for the judge to sign my divorce papers. I didnt have any separation agreement since my exhusband and I settled things along time before I went for the divorce. On my lawyers advice I skipped the agreement because it was not necessary. So when it came to proving I had a divorce in the works and waiting for the judges signature, they were not satisfied with the letter from the lawyer stating so. I even sent the lawyers bill and it did nothing to help our case at all. In the officers eyes, I was still married and therefore we were not able to be partners. They wanted a separation agreement or they wanted a divorce certificate. They dont want just anything.. it is specific things that do the proving. No letters from friends or things of that nature cut it. I am sure others have had good luck and others bad luck.. But I am not convinced that had I been a little more prepared that my Beau and I would be together right now.

my two cents

Boyee
Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

wimpfrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boyee
If I might add my tiny pennies worth in this conversation. After my experience and rejection I wished I would have had someone to talk to before we applied for conjugal partner. I tried to sponsor my partner from India. I made the mistake of taking the advice from a lady who works in my MP's office and handles immigration cases in his riding. (She had no idea what she was talking about. it turns out I know more than she did and thats not much) Being a bit stupid to this kind of thing, I listened to her and had I been a bit more bright, we would have found someone like Mr. Miller that I could have atleast talked about things and made a more informed decision. Yes the forms are simple.. No problem. BUT its the other documents of proving your relationship, and other things that just dont cut it if you dont know what you are doing. For example. I was just ending my divorce. I had been waiting for 3 months for the judge to sign my divorce papers. I didnt have any separation agreement since my exhusband and I settled things along time before I went for the divorce. On my lawyers advice I skipped the agreement because it was not necessary. So when it came to proving I had a divorce in the works and waiting for the judges signature, they were not satisfied with the letter from the lawyer stating so. I even sent the lawyers bill and it did nothing to help our case at all. In the officers eyes, I was still married and therefore we were not able to be partners. They wanted a separation agreement or they wanted a divorce certificate. They dont want just anything.. it is specific things that do the proving. No letters from friends or things of that nature cut it. I am sure others have had good luck and others bad luck.. But I am not convinced that had I been a little more prepared that my Beau and I would be together right now.

my two cents

Boyee
Thanks Boyee, sorry to hear about your experience..... I believe going down the conjugal route is the hardest........ thats why we think common law would be the best option!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

sheenoid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew,

You mention 2000 + for full assistance. Can you briefly highlight the different levels of assistance that a lawyer or consultant can offer and what they entail, for those of us who are unsure as to what we can afford?