Co-op and On campus job

Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

cheersnparty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Co-op and On campus job

I wonder, can on-campus job be considered as Co-op as long as it is in the same field of study?

If yes, then on work-experience letter if employer state that I just worked on-campus and in my immigration form if I mention I worked on-campus and in brackets I say also Co-op for my co-op duration, then in that case is that okay or do immigration doubt it or something?

Please suggest me what should I do as I continued my on-campus job during co-op because it was in the same field, but employer doesn't wanna mention anything about co-op except on-campus job.

thanx once again.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:52 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Co-op and On campus job

Originally Posted by cheersnparty
I wonder, can on-campus job be considered as Co-op as long as it is in the same field of study?

If yes, then on work-experience letter if employer state that I just worked on-campus and in my immigration form if I mention I worked on-campus and in brackets I say also Co-op for my co-op duration, then in that case is that okay or do immigration doubt it or something?

Please suggest me what should I do as I continued my on-campus job during co-op because it was in the same field, but employer doesn't wanna mention anything about co-op except on-campus job.

thanx once again.
The university would have to recognize the job as a coop placement valid for their degree qualification requirements.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

cheersnparty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Mr. Jim,

Thanks for the reply, yes my college did recognize the job as co-op placement for my degree, but issue is my employer wants to write that my job was on-campus for 20 hrs per week and don't wanna mention co-op work placement, so I wonder does immigration dept accept that for my immigration to Canada in my application form or not?

Thanx in advance for your time and suggestion.

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The university would have to recognize the job as a coop placement valid for their degree qualification requirements.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:54 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheersnparty
Hello Mr. Jim,

Thanks for the reply, yes my college did recognize the job as co-op placement for my degree, but issue is my employer wants to write that my job was on-campus for 20 hrs per week and don't wanna mention co-op work placement, so I wonder does immigration dept accept that for my immigration to Canada in my application form or not?

Thanx in advance for your time and suggestion.
The work was part-time so it won't really count. Get a letter from the Coop Office on Campus confirming it was a coop placement anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

canada_hope will become famous soon enoughcanada_hope will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The work was part-time so it won't really count. Get a letter from the Coop Office on Campus confirming it was a coop placement anyway.
I think Jim is one of the immigration experts in this forum, so I do not want to say he is wrong, but you might want to check with Andrew Miller. He knows the law very well. As far as I remember correctly, part-time work counts for immigration purpose as long as it fulfills the requirements below.

"You must have at least one year of full-time paid work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list. Your experience must be listed in an occupation listed in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B of the NOC and it must have occurred in the past 10 years. You must have performed most of the duties, including all the essential duties, that are listed for the occupation."

I hope Andrew Miller will clarify this to you.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by canada_hope
I think Jim is one of the immigration experts in this forum, so I do not want to say he is wrong, but you might want to check with Andrew Miller. He knows the law very well. As far as I remember correctly, part-time work counts for immigration purpose as long as it fulfills the requirements below.

"You must have at least one year of full-time paid work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list. Your experience must be listed in an occupation listed in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A or B of the NOC and it must have occurred in the past 10 years. You must have performed most of the duties, including all the essential duties, that are listed for the occupation."

I hope Andrew Miller will clarify this to you.
I guess we do not have enough info. One needs a full-time equivalent of one years work experience to count and I should have been more clear in my reply. We do not have the full prior work experience to get the points total correct.