Clergy PR Route

Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clergy PR Route

Hi folks,

I will be going to Canada (BC) on a clergy visa. (Not work visa exemption as I will also be performing administrative and co-ordination tasks)

I found an old thread here on BE http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330748

The pastor says that he applied for PR before entering Canada. Is it possible to do this?

This thread I found is old but if we are going to be needed for 3-5 years, then is there a possibility to apply for PR once we arrive at least?

I also know that Immigration might grant us a visa that is less than 3 years so if they grant a 1 year one, is there a chance for extending it.

Thanks very much for any help.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clergy PR Route

Originally Posted by lookingtogo
Hi folks,

I will be going to Canada (BC) on a clergy visa. (Not work visa exemption as I will also be performing administrative and co-ordination tasks)

I found an old thread here on BE http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330748

The pastor says that he applied for PR before entering Canada. Is it possible to do this?

This thread I found is old but if we are going to be needed for 3-5 years, then is there a possibility to apply for PR once we arrive at least?

I also know that Immigration might grant us a visa that is less than 3 years so if they grant a 1 year one, is there a chance for extending it.

Thanks very much for any help.
The rules have changed many many times since 2005.

What on earth is a clergy visa?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:16 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The rules have changed many many times since 2005.

What on earth is a clergy visa?
Believe there's a business visa with some occupations it. Clergy might be one
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Perhaps. I wonder though whether god-bothering is supposed to be a business? I recognize that in is in practice.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:18 am
Account Closed

It is a type of work visa.

But thanks for the digs, anyway.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Hi, does anyone know this please?

Can PR be applied for as a clergy with a work visa.

I can only find CEC, FSW, and provincial on the immigration website.

Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by orly
Actually clergy aren't issued a work permit, they are issued a visitor permit. They can try to obtain the work permit, and it can be issued under R205 if you have a LMO.

Clergy

People coming to Canada to work as ordained ministers, lay persons or members of a religious order do not need a work permit to perform their religious duties or assist a religious group. These religious duties may include preaching doctrine, presiding at liturgical functions or providing spiritual counselling.

So the only practical way for clergy to obtain PR is that the church/organization support an application under arranged employment, but that would be difficult with the change that a "letter" from the employer is no longer sufficient, but a LMO is required.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:33 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Actually clergy aren't issued a work permit, they are issued a visitor permit. They can try to obtain the work permit, and it can be issued under R205 if you have a LMO.

Clergy

People coming to Canada to work as ordained ministers, lay persons or members of a religious order do not need a work permit to perform their religious duties or assist a religious group. These religious duties may include preaching doctrine, presiding at liturgical functions or providing spiritual counselling.

So the only practical way for clergy to obtain PR is that the church/organization support an application under arranged employment, but that would be difficult with the change that a "letter" from the employer is no longer sufficient, but a LMO is required.
would it be sufficient for a Clergyman to "perform his religious duties" for a year, then apply under the Canadian Experience class? Not sure of the implications for CEC if no work permit was required to perform the function in the first place...
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:10 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I read something recently about a Pentecostal pastor who was also teaching piano, so he lost his visa.

That's all.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
would it be sufficient for a Clergyman to "perform his religious duties" for a year, then apply under the Canadian Experience class? Not sure of the implications for CEC if no work permit was required to perform the function in the first place...
Do you know, I think that's rather doubtful. I can't imagine why. I suppose because performing religious duties in Canada isn't very different from doing the same in, for example, the Uk, Iran or China etc. Indeed if you happen to be a religionist I imagine you can perform your religious duties in private anywhere in the world.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Thanks for the response, PMM.

So it would be arranged employment under R205 - is that right?

I just want to know so I can then search for the right part and documentation. I had thought that it was LMO exempt - do you know where/when the rules are updated?

Our group doesn't seem to know anything so I want to send them the right info.

Am I also right in confirming then that on just a clergy (visitor) visa, there would be no chance of a PR route even if it was for 2-3 years?

I just want to establish myself permanently in the country, tired of a nomadic existence.

Thanks

Last edited by lookingtogo; Oct 1st 2013 at 3:32 am.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Thanks Oakvillian.

I think CEC needs to be in a specific skilled class and like Novocastrian implies, religious services isn't exactly seen as unique or highly skilled.