Citizenship Tests

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of
Default Citizenship Tests

I know it has been absolutely ages since I posted on here (don't nag) but after a while, life goes on and what with the Moose droppings and beaver tails it can all get a bit hectic.

Today, we wrote our Citizenship Test (fanfare). Just over a year after applying - having accumulated the required number of qualifying days as Permanent Residents - we were ushered into a room, were handed a twenty-question paper and were given thirty minutes to complete the task.

Providing you have studied the guide "Discover Canada" the multiple choice questions should not pose a major problem. We (my wife, son and I) were in and out in under ten minutes.

Now more waiting (as if we aren't used to that!) until we are invited to the Oath ceremony. As soon as I know more, I'll - promise to tell you.

Just don't make me drink any more Tim Horton's "coffee".
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:03 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Tests

Originally Posted by simon876
I know it has been absolutely ages since I posted on here (don't nag) but after a while, life goes on and what with the Moose droppings and beaver tails it can all get a bit hectic.

Today, we wrote our Citizenship Test (fanfare). Just over a year after applying - having accumulated the required number of qualifying days as Permanent Residents - we were ushered into a room, were handed a twenty-question paper and were given thirty minutes to complete the task.

Providing you have studied the guide "Discover Canada" the multiple choice questions should not pose a major problem. We (my wife, son and I) were in and out in under ten minutes.

Now more waiting (as if we aren't used to that!) until we are invited to the Oath ceremony. As soon as I know more, I'll - promise to tell you.

Was the drinking of Tim Horton's coffee a condition of taking the test?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Was the drinking of Tim Horton's coffee a condition of taking the test?
Thankfully, NO
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:05 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon876

Congratulations! We wrote the test on August 26th & took the oath on October 13th - not much longer to wait now eh?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, good to see you still make it back here once a year to let those of us who remember you, know how you are doing.

Congrats on sitting the citizenship exam.......How brill that must feel
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:25 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the citizenship exam! Be thankful you took it now - did you see what they are proposing?

http://britishexpats.com/news/latest...nship-program/

Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by siouxie
Congrats on the citizenship exam! Be thankful you took it now - did you see what they are proposing?

http://britishexpats.com/news/latest...nship-program/

Wow. As it turns out, we would all be able to provide the required evidence but I can see how it would present a challenge to others.

Of those sitting the test on Monday, we were the only ones for whom English appeared to be a first language.

At present, the English language ability 'test' is the chat with the CIC staff who check your documentation. It's not clear how 'objective' that is - but I am sure they try hard to be fair.

Of interest was a recent CBC news item that reported an increase in the pass score (to 75%) and a corresponding increase in the failure rate - from 5% to 30%. The article then balanced the somewhat alarmist tone by saying that of a sample of 2000 Canadians, the failure rate was 60%

The online twenty questions sample test, hosted by CBC was easy if you have studied but if your grasp of the 'trick' questions is poor, you could easily drop below 75%.

We landed as PR's about six months before they changed the qualifying criteria for skilled worker. Looks like we got in under the radar again!!

Oh well, we hope that very soon Canada really will be our home and native land.

Last edited by simon876; Oct 20th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:08 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Simon, I saw that CBC item and nearly fell on the floor with shock when my husband answered all the questions correctly! A few years ago I worked in Oman and the company I worked for gave me three years to pass a written and verbal Arabic exam set by the government. I liked the job and I made sure I passed. It wasn't easy though. Congratulations on your tests - it's a shame there isn't a paper on waiting and patience, so that we could all get top marks.