Wikiposts

Citizenship Question (Retention)

Old May 12th 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road
Default Citizenship Question (Retention)

I was reading the immigration site for new laws on citizenship. I found it very confusing the retention laws that will come in effect after April 2009 it says -

"You do not have to retain citizenship if:
  • you were born in Canada
  • you were granted Canadian citizenship (become a Canadian citizen or naturalized as a Canadian citizen)
  • you were born outside Canada, but one of your parents was born in Canada or
  • you were born outside Canada after one parent was granted Canadian citizenship."
I wanted to have clarification on the last point. Does this mean that children born to Canadian citizens outside can no longer apply for retention of Canadian citizenship or does it mean that children born to Canadian parents outside Canada will automatically be granted Canadian citizenship without applying for retention?

Can an expert or experienced folks help me out please?

- Cheers

Last edited by bhalerao; May 12th 2008 at 3:22 am.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Question (Retention)

Originally Posted by bhalerao
I was reading the immigration site for new laws on citizenship. I found it very confusing the retention laws that will come in effect after April 2009 it says -

"You do not have to retain citizenship if:
  • you were born in Canada
  • you were granted Canadian citizenship (become a Canadian citizen or naturalized as a Canadian citizen)
  • you were born outside Canada, but one of your parents was born in Canada or
  • you were born outside Canada after one parent was granted Canadian citizenship."
I wanted to have clarification on the last point. Does this mean that children born to Canadian citizens outside can no longer apply for retention of Canadian citizenship or does it mean that children born to Canadian parents outside Canada will automatically be granted Canadian citizenship without applying for retention?
Children born outside Canada to a naturalised Canadian citizen parent are automatically Canadian citizens by descent. No need to apply for retention.

Children born outside Canada to a parent who is a Canadian citizen by descent are automatically Canadian citizens but need to apply for retention by age 28.

Once the new law comes into force these children will not need to apply for retention provided they do not turn 28 before Commencement Day.

However, children born outside Canada after the new law is in force will not automatically be Canadian citizens if their Canadian parent is himself or herself a Canadian citizen by descent (there are exceptions if parent is in public service).
Old May 13th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Citizenship Question (Retention)

Thanks JAJ, I was really looking for an explanation for this sort. The language on cic website is pretty confusing.