Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

citizenship question and the clock

citizenship question and the clock

Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:28 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default citizenship question and the clock

hi all....been a very long time since i've been on here and have now lived in vancouver for nearly three years....loving it!

so question is, we moved over in feb 2009 and got our PR in may 2009....so it'll be time to do our citizenship (or apply) come June this year.....we will have done our required time then, including trips back to UK and USA.....If we apply for our citizenship and then decide to go to say, Australia for a years trip, does the clock still tick as if we where in the PR loop or because we've already done our required time, leaving the country is okay....

thanks peeps for all your replies to come......
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship question and the clock

You can apply for citizenship providing you are eligible. Why would you apply then go to Oz for a year? In that time what if the citizenship ceremony takes place would you fly back to attend?
Use this link
https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/rescal...ew.do?&lang=en
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:15 pm

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can apply for citizenship providing you are eligible. Why would you apply then go to Oz for a year? In that time what if the citizenship ceremony takes place would you fly back to attend?
Use this link
https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/rescal...ew.do?&lang=en
thanks and have looked at that link but it's not answering my question.....

we will be eligible in june to apply and from my understanding, it will take a while for the process to complete before the citizenship ceremony, so can i leave the country and go to Australia (or any where else) for a long period of time (it's a long vacation to Aus, no work, just the beach) without it effecting our citizenship application? we will have done the required time before we go but does the canadian goverment frown on you leaving for an extended period?

thanks.....
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
we will be eligible in june to apply and from my understanding, it will take a while for the process to complete before the citizenship ceremony, so can i leave the country and go to Australia (or any where else) for a long period of time (it's a long vacation to Aus, no work, just the beach) without it effecting our citizenship application? we will have done the required time before we go but does the canadian goverment frown on you leaving for an extended period?
It's not a problem, as long as you meet the requirements at the time you apply.

But one thing to think about is how you'll get back at very short notice - usually only a couple of weeks notice is given for the test/ceremony dates, so potentially two trips at the last minute.

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not a problem, as long as you meet the requirements at the time you apply.

But one thing to think about is how you'll get back at very short notice - usually only a couple of weeks notice is given for the test/ceremony dates, so potentially two trips at the last minute.

Good luck.
thanks christmasoompa...i think once i know it's that close for test, i'll come back and wait it out for the ceremony....very exciting times, eh?

one quick last question.....if my daughter was to come out to Aus too (and her canadian boyfriend) could she work on her PR and does this make the canadian goverment frown?

just don't wanna do anything that upsets our citizenship process, so might not even go travelling!! how long, on average, does it take from application to the test?