Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - Exact date of absence

Citizenship - Exact date of absence

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

49thparallel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship - Exact date of absence

Hi there,

I am about to apply for citizenship having met the residency requirements. My question relates to one particular absence my wife had about 2 years ago. She was gone from Canada for just under a month however as there are no departure records entered into your password when you leave Canada we are unsure of the exact date she left. We know the date of return as it has been stamped into the passport. Unfortunately we no longer have the airline tickets so have no way of determining the exact date she left.

We can certainly make a guess and would only be out a few days either side if we were wrong.

Any ideas on how to proceed? What have others done when faced with the same issue?

Thanks...

Brian
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - Exact date of absence

How marginal is she on the 1095 days?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 49thparallel
Hi there,

I am about to apply for citizenship having met the residency requirements. My question relates to one particular absence my wife had about 2 years ago. She was gone from Canada for just under a month however as there are no departure records entered into your password when you leave Canada we are unsure of the exact date she left. We know the date of return as it has been stamped into the passport. Unfortunately we no longer have the airline tickets so have no way of determining the exact date she left.

We can certainly make a guess and would only be out a few days either side if we were wrong.

Any ideas on how to proceed? What have others done when faced with the same issue?

Thanks...

Brian
Don't sweat it. Just err on the side of caution when calculating your number of resident days. It's not exactly going to make much difference to you if you delay applying for a month or so just to make sure you're in the clear.

I delayed my application by a whole year because I knew I was about to move from one province to another, and also because I was in discussions with the taxman and my accountant told me to hold off.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:22 am
Just Joined

happyone01 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you haven't thought of it yet, asking your bank for records of account activity (if possible) during the period in question might help. just guessing here...good luck!

apologies if this is considered 'hijacking the thread' but i was wondering along the lines of when is a good time to apply for citizenship.
i'm approaching the requisite time myself and I wish to move ahead with an application but i'd rather avoid bureaucratic procedure and lengthened application by applying too early. Is a week/month/6months a good time to leave before making an application? any personal experience/advice on this one??
thanks
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyone01
apologies if this is considered 'hijacking the thread' but i was wondering along the lines of when is a good time to apply for citizenship.
Barring the most exceptional circumstances, you apply when you have the 1095 days physically in Canada (in the last 4 years) plus a margin of error.

Time in Canada before becoming PR counts 50%.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:11 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

It rather surprises me that people can get worked up about this issue. By the time they become eligible they will already have spent years filling out forms and waiting. What difference does an extra few weeks make?

Incidentally, I found that the citizenship application was by far the easiest and quickest part of the whole journey. Not quite rubber-stamping but not far off it.