Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application Background Check by Government

Citizenship Application Background Check by Government

Old Jan 13th 2002, 5:09 am
News Post

I am about to apply for my citizenship soon. I am wondering what is the steps towards
checking the residence requirement? Will the government check the credit history,
income report, etc? I have been living in and out of Canada here and there. I did not
really stay in one place for more than 6 months long, and I never had Canadian income
(eating savings, traveling), although I filled income tax everything with Nothing to
report. Will that be any problem? Will the government check the details or they will
believe what I say in my application. Will they even go to the addresses I lived at?

As I said I have been in and out of Canada many times, but I got nothing on my stamp.
Nothing at all, except the landing stamp. How do I report my trips? I don't recall
all of them? In fact, I know for some time, I have been out of Canada for more than 6
months in 12 months, but the only question I got asked was: "How long have you been
out of Canada?" at borders, but I did not get refused to enter. I don't want to lie
on my citizenship application, but I am afraid that if I put all the exact dates on
it, I may even lose my PR and never get my citizenship.

I also plan to apply from an overseas mailing address. Will the government allow
people apply from overseas? I wonder if I use my friend's address in Canada, will
they think I am lying, because I was not living there? I really don't have a permant
address, otherwis I will use it.

Old Jan 13th 2002, 5:18 am
Andrew Miller

If you don't reside in Canada then you can't apply for citizenship, period. As for
meeting residency requirements - it is you who will have to prove that you met them.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 13th 2002, 1:12 pm
Shashi Shekhar

Please note - if you lie on your citizenship application - they have the right to
cancel your citizenship , even if they grant you one by mistake - they have indeed
cancelled citizenships in past if they detected fraud. After 911 - CIC has become
quite careful with the checks - It is very easy to see with few checks (your credit
history for example) -that you never intended to establish a residence. The way
system works is unlike in US where they record your arrival/departure on I-94 - it is
upto applicant to prove he did stay in Canada, made a living and paid taxes -
obviously you cannot show any of that. The only room for escape is - which people
have used in the past is they did not stay for full 3 out of 4 years (counting # of
days) and used compassionate or other grounds to get waiver from judge - but that is
also becoming tougher.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 20th 2002, 6:48 am
News Post

I guess my question was How The Government Check My Residence in Canada other that
What I write on the Citizenship Application? I really moved a lot within Canada
without a long term address. Will that be a problem, since I did not have traces in
those addresses I lived in, because I don't have income or credit card statement to
those addresses? Because I frequently move, I rent a mailbox to take care of my mail.

"Andrew Miller" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I am about to apply for my citizenship soon. I am wondering what is the steps[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > towards checking the residence requirement? Will the government check the credit[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > history, income report, etc? I have been living in and out of Canada here and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there. I did not really stay in one place for more than 6 months long, and I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > never had Canadian income (eating savings, traveling), although I filled income[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tax everything with Nothing to report. Will that be any problem? Will the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > government check the details or they will believe what I say in my application.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Will they even go to the addresses I lived at?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > As I said I have been in and out of Canada many times, but I got nothing on my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > stamp. Nothing at all, except the landing stamp. How do I report my trips? I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > don't recall all of them? In fact, I know for some time, I have been out of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada for more than 6 months in 12 months, but the only question I got asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > was: "How long have you been out of Canada?" at borders, but I did not get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > refused to enter. I don't want to lie on my citizenship application, but I am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > afraid that if I put all the exact dates on it, I may even lose my PR and never[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get my citizenship.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I also plan to apply from an overseas mailing address. Will the government allow[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > people apply from overseas? I wonder if I use my friend's address in Canada, will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > they think I am lying, because I was not living there? I really don't have a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > permant address, otherwis I will use it.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 20th 2002, 12:34 pm
Hello

It is upto the applicant to show that he has lived in Canada for 3 out of 4 years
towards the requirement of physical stay for citizenship; govt can easily verify and
ask you for more info to bolster your claim - if you did not have income or credit
card or bill payments or tax statements - I must say you are at risk - you may be
denied unless there is a valid reason you can tell to Citizenship Judge.

For most of the applicants who have established residence in Canada - they can be
tracked by - Income Tax filing, stay at residences (through Driver Licenses, Health
Cards, Utility Bills and/or Credit Card statements - sorry you cannot use mailboxes
as proof) - If you did not have any of these how do you convince govt - you did
establish residence and were not back in US or some other country [as an example]
during the last three out of 4 years prior to applying for citizenship. It has been
noticed that many people use Canadian PR as an backup option in case they lose jobs
in US in current economy when their US GC is being processed as well - hence CIC is
far more stringent in checking validity before granting an approval.

"News Post" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > If you don't reside in Canada then you can't apply for citizenship,[/usenetquote2]
period. As
[usenetquote2]> > for meeting residency requirements - it is you who will have to prove[/usenetquote2]
that you
[usenetquote2]> > met them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending email)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ________________________________[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > I am about to apply for my citizenship soon. I am wondering what is the steps[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > towards checking the residence requirement? Will the government check the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > credit history, income report, etc? I have been living in and out of Canada[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > here and there. I did not really stay in one place for more than 6 months long,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > and I never had Canadian income (eating savings, traveling), although I filled[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > income tax everything with Nothing to report. Will that be any problem? Will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > the government check the details or they will believe what I say in my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > application. Will they even go to the addresses I lived at?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > As I said I have been in and out of Canada many times, but I got nothing on my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > stamp. Nothing at all, except the landing stamp. How do I report my trips? I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > don't recall all of them? In fact, I know for some time, I have been out of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Canada for more than 6 months in 12 months, but the only question I got asked[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > was: "How long have you been out of Canada?" at borders, but I did not get[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > refused to enter. I don't want to lie on my citizenship application, but I am[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > afraid that if I put all the exact dates on it, I may even lose my PR and never[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > get my citizenship.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I also plan to apply from an overseas mailing address. Will the government[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > allow people apply from overseas? I wonder if I use my friend's address in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Canada, will they think I am lying, because I was not living there? I really[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > don't have a permant address, otherwis I will use it.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 9:13 am
News Post

So, could you answer my question if the government will check the application or it
believes whatever I put there? Since on my passport, there is no record that I left
Canada. I am afraid that if I say I left and came back, it will only raise more
questions.

You said it is up to me to show, and I know if the government wants to check, it
will find out. But does anyone hear the case the government checks all applicants or
only a few?

Experts, please advise here. I have to decide if I sent my application in or wait for
more time.

By the way, according to what you say, homeless PR then will not be able to get the
citizenship, because they have no income, tax, or bank, but they are indeed living in
Canada. So, the law will allow them to apply for citizenship. Am I right?

"Hello" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I guess my question was How The Government Check My Residence in Canada other[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that What I write on the Citizenship Application? I really moved a lot within[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada without a long term address. Will that be a problem, since I did not have[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > traces in those addresses I lived in, because I don't have income or credit card[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > statement to those addresses? Because I frequently move, I rent a mailbox to take[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > care of my mail.[/usenetquote2]