Citizenship From Abroad?

Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:48 am
Just Joined

NateWagner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship From Abroad?

I'm a Canadian, and my partner is a British Citizen. She is a permanent resident here in Canada, and has lived here with me for 15 years (we have 2 boys together). We're currently looking at moving to the UK in the near future (as soon as we can manage to sell our house), but we're toying with the idea of her getting Canadian citizenship (our boys are both dual, I plan to eventually get British citizenship when I am eligible, and of course as everyone says it's best to have all the same citizenships as your children for whatever the future may bring).
As we want to move to England as soon as we are able, we were wondering if it is at all an option for her to apply for Canadian citizenship while in England, or even start the process before we leave and then move while it's being processed. I believe if this is even a possibility, she would at least have to fly back to Canada for the ceremony...but I'm really just guessing here.
Appreciate any info anyone in a similar situation may be able to provide...TIA!
Old Dec 31st 2018, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship From Abroad?

If she has PR, I’m presuming for some years, and has lived in Canada for 15, surely she is eligible to apply for citizenship already? It doesn’t sound like you’re on the move very soon, so in all likelihood it could all be sorted before you leave? That would be best otherwise she would need to return for at least the oath ceremony.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

She definitely is eligible - I wasn't sure how long the whole process typically takes. Just don't want to end up in a situation where we sell the house, but can't make the move to England because we're waiting for her Citizenship to come through. Do you need to remain in Canada until it's done, or are you allowed to be elsewhere and just return for the oath ceremony?
Old Dec 31st 2018, 5:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NateWagner
She definitely is eligible - I wasn't sure how long the whole process typically takes. Just don't want to end up in a situation where we sell the house, but can't make the move to England because we're waiting for her Citizenship to come through. Do you need to remain in Canada until it's done, or are you allowed to be elsewhere and just return for the oath ceremony?
1/ Posted processing time is 12 months.
2/ IRCC won't correspond to a foreign address, but will send your notifications by email.
3/ She would have to return at short notice for the exam and for the oath ceremony.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1/ Posted processing time is 12 months.
2/ IRCC won't correspond to a foreign address, but will send your notifications by email.
3/ She would have to return at short notice for the exam and for the oath ceremony.
In our case in 2015, my husband was outside of Canada and had to return separately for the interview and ceremony. In both cases, we were given about 10 days notice - fortunately he was able to arrange things for both but it was awkward. At that time, there seemed to be no way of advising them or requesting certain dates - it was take it or cancel, with no idea when it would be rearranged for so if you can do before you leave, that would certainly be preferred.
Bearing that in mind, I can’t see any advantage in not doing it sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info - definitely makes it more clear what is and isn't allowed (and the potential problems that could arise).