Citizenship

Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Citizenship

Ok. 4yrs and 3mths in Canada on PR and got our citizenship app in. 2 kids born here granted Canadian passports, now my wife and I need ours.

Has anyone been through this and got any insights on process and timelines? We applied a month ago and waiting to hear. PR expires July 2018 and hoping its all done before then.

We're not sure Canada is for us forever, least not Calgary/Alberta. But the passport is worth getting.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship

Hi

Originally Posted by 99problems
Ok. 4yrs and 3mths in Canada on PR and got our citizenship app in. 2 kids born here granted Canadian passports, now my wife and I need ours.

Has anyone been through this and got any insights on process and timelines? We applied a month ago and waiting to hear. PR expires July 2018 and hoping its all done before then.

We're not sure Canada is for us forever, least not Calgary/Alberta. But the passport is worth getting.
1. The posted processing is 12 months from the date of application for a complete application.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

And remember - it's the PR card that expires next year, not PR itself. We were in a similar position to you, and actually our PR cards did expire before we got citizenship, but usually you only need the PR card to get back into the country - so if you have no travel planned, it's not a problem if it takes a little longer.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I thought about that. We don't intend to travel overseas until end of 2018 so hopefully all done by then. I have a friend who sat the test for citizenship 2mths after applying and expects to wait another 3mths to get the passport. I think 12mths is the boilerplate waiting period but should move faster because with established PR of 4+yrs and 2 children born here, work here and pay taxes and own property there is little else to nail down. It did take us 2yrs to get PR! I see the main benefit as driving over into the US being a lot easier, we don't care about voting.

Next big task is to figure out what to do with UK pension as can't transfer it under Qrops any more without incurring 25% tax from UK. Will probably just collect in £ when it falls due and accrue in British bank and not declare to CRA. CRA demands declaration of worldwide income and assets which is ridiculous. Makes me want to put my assets on the moon.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:14 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I thought about that. We don't intend to travel overseas until end of 2018 so hopefully all done by then. I have a friend who sat the test for citizenship 2mths after applying and expects to wait another 3mths to get the passport. I think 12mths is the boilerplate waiting period but should move faster because with established PR of 4+yrs and 2 children born here, work here and pay taxes and own property there is little else to nail down. It did take us 2yrs to get PR! I see the main benefit as driving over into the US being a lot easier, we don't care about voting.

Next big task is to figure out what to do with UK pension as can't transfer it under Qrops any more without incurring 25% tax from UK. Will probably just collect in £ when it falls due and accrue in British bank and not declare to CRA. CRA demands declaration of worldwide income and assets which is ridiculous. Makes me want to put my assets on the moon.
Why do you think that things will move faster?- Aside from the 2 children bit, I would have thought most people applying for citizenship would fulfill all your other criteria highlighted above. Ownership of property and paying taxes etc isnt directly relevant to the application

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jul 27th 2017 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's required to declare, I wouldn't try and hide it from CRA, might come back to bite you.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Why do you think that things will move faster?- Aside from the 2 children bit, I would have thought most people applying for citizenship would fulfill all your other criteria highlighted above. Ownership of property and paying taxes etc isnt directly relevant to the application
I was wondering the same.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 7:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...meline-884075/
Old Jul 27th 2017, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup

+1
Old Jul 27th 2017, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers of applications submitted will undoubtedly rise and quite significantly once the new rules on physical presence take effect is my guess. No doubt this will lengthen processing times.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Well, I was basing my comments on processing time off people I know who have been through it in the last 2yrs. I have 2 in my office, it took 6 and 8mths respectively. I'm simply saying that once you have PR there is much much less for them to do check-wise as most of it has already been done. It isn't a difficult decision to grant citizenship to somebody who has already met all of these hurdles. As for CRA, they have no way of knowing about assets/income overseas.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was basing my comments on processing time off people I know who have been through it in the last 2yrs. I have 2 in my office, it took 6 and 8mths respectively. I'm simply saying that once you have PR there is much much less for them to do check-wise as most of it has already been done. It isn't a difficult decision to grant citizenship to somebody who has already met all of these hurdles. As for CRA, they have no way of knowing about assets/income overseas.
Lovely. Just what Canada needs... people who think it's ok to lie when it suits them.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:54 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget to get a "we lived in Canada" car stika when you leave too ehh !!
Old Aug 1st 2017, 2:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

You are the optimistic one aren't you? I hope that you are right....you may be on the right side of the bow wave of applications which Snowy mentioned ...on the other hand you may not....

As Dorothy says, not the greatest attitude with which one is to become a Canadian - you may need to change your name to 100problems which isn't quite so catchy

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 1st 2017 at 2:28 am.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people's citizenship applications take years to process.

Everyone who applies is a PR and some applications take longer than others.
Some people get sent Residency Questionnaires or their language proof may be rejected, even if they graduated from Oxford I am told ...
Old Aug 1st 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who sat the test for citizenship 2mths after applying and expects to wait another 3mths to get the passport. I think 12mths is the boilerplate waiting period but should move faster because with established PR of 4+yrs and 2 children born here, work here and pay taxes and own property there is little else to nail down.
Well, I was basing my comments on processing time off people I know who have been through it in the last 2yrs. I have 2 in my office, it took 6 and 8mths respectively. I'm simply saying that once you have PR there is much much less for them to do check-wise as most of it has already been done.
Literally everyone applying for citizenship has already had those same checks done, and is a PR. You might well argue that it's odd to take 12 months having already done all that (and the citizenship form is so much quicker & easier than the PR apps!), but there's no reason for yours to fly through quicker than everyone else's, just because you're... exactly the same as everyone else.

Also, don't lie to CRA. That way lies only pain, audit, and fines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.