CIC are you smoking crack

Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default CIC are you smoking crack

RANT ON.

Seriously CIC are you *** or smoking crack or what?
Which special snowflake or group came up with this piece of ***.
Planned passport renewal change opens door to fraud, forgery - Politics - CBC News

Seriously Id like to meet the individual or group and ask them what were you thinking and what are your qualifications in life. Are you a legacy CIC person or someone who has been promoted from another Govt dept or god forbid hired from the private sector who was working for some company who knows **** all about CIC and thinks the world is all rainbows and buttercups. This **** me off no end when things like this are proposed.
So if CIC are the legislative agency that deals with passports and their issuance the why the **** do we have Passport Canada as another Govt Agency?
Oh I get it lets form another Govt Agency to do our work for us and BTW Customs and Excise was around way before Immigration and Passport Canada we just decided to rename and rebrand ourselves several times since I have been with them.

This will not end well and the **** who thought this one up should be FIRED or moved to Alert in Nunavut.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2015 at 6:45 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: CIC are you smoking crack

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
RANT ON.

Seriously CIC are you **** **** or smoking crack or what?
Which special snowflake or group came up with this piece of ****.
Planned passport renewal change opens door to fraud, forgery - Politics - CBC News

Seriously Id like to meet the individual or group and ask them what were you thinking and what are your qualifications in life. Are you a legacy CIC person or someone who has been promoted from another Govt dept or god forbid hired from the private sector who was working for some company who knows **** all about CIC and thinks the world is all rainbows and buttercups. This **** me off no end when things like this are proposed.
So if CIC are the legislative agency that deals with passports and their issuance the why the **** do we have Passport Canada as another Govt Agency?
Oh I get it lets form another Govt Agency to do our work for us and BTW Customs and Excise was around way before Immigration and Passport Canada we just decided to rename and rebrand ourselves several times since I have been with them.

This will not end well and the **** who thought this one up should be FIRED or moved to Alert in Nunavut.
'Instead, applicants will be told to "cut the corners" of the document through an honour system.' are they serious?!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 10th 2015 at 6:52 am. Reason: Starring the quote!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:23 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: CIC are you smoking crack

I like it ....

"An internal notice from Citizenship and Immigration Canada obtained by CBC News reveals the changes coming this fall would allow online applications and no longer require the return of the old passport — even if it remains valid for six more months"

Not everyone is able to do an on-line renewal, therefore, I would also like to see passport renewals be made available at the provincial drivers license/plate sticker office.... why not?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC are you smoking crack

Jeez FL. I get that you're angry, but that's an awful lot of stars I've just had to replace words with! Family forum and all that, ta muchly.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC are you smoking crack WTF.

Originally Posted by not2old
I like it ....

"An internal notice from Citizenship and Immigration Canada obtained by CBC News reveals the changes coming this fall would allow online applications and no longer require the return of the old passport — even if it remains valid for six more months"

Not everyone is able to do an on-line renewal, therefore, I would also like to see passport renewals be made available at the provincial drivers license/plate sticker office.... why not?
Because they are Provincial not Federal offices and we Feds tend to look down on our Provincial cousins

So you need a passport renewing great where are you located and do you have a Service Canada office or if lucky enough an actual Passport Canada office open to the public. If not then you would simply get the forms downloaded fill them out enclose payment and send off your old passport which if requested will be returned with your new one. Simple enough.

Those of us with Passport Canada offices simply go down during business hours after having downloaded the forms or actually picking up a renewal form. We fill it out pay the fee and give it over to a Passport Canada employee who checks over the application, accepts the fee and either hole punches or cuts off the corners on the passport you have and asks you if you want it back. Your new passport is then sent to you.

If you have a Service Canada office you could do the same except that they send the old passport with your application. Im not 100% sure I want Service Canada staff punching holes or cutting off corners if my passport is still valid and there is now a problem with my application.

There again we lowly Govt workers just follow the instructions of those who manage us or are responsible for these policies. God forbid they ask for input from the actual workers who do the job on a daily basis or what they think of their wonderful ideas and proposals.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC are you smoking crack WTF.

Because they are Provincial not Federal offices and we Feds tend to look down on our Provincial cousins
whats the difference?

Its like buying beer at the liquor store & maybe a cost cutting measure

There again we lowly Govt workers just follow the instructions of those who manage us or are responsible for these policies. God forbid they ask for input from the actual workers who do the job on a daily basis or what they think of their wonderful ideas and proposals.
As a taxpayer, my response to the gov't worker, i want that worker to follow orders first & foremost, not unlike like a good soldier.

Maybe the public service union has a thing or two to say about it, maybe the govt workers should refuse or go slow

We don't want similar issue to what that gov't worker in the states has not wanting to issue marriage licenses, now would we

Last edited by not2old; Sep 10th 2015 at 7:01 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just want to ensure that the old passport when still valid is rendered null and void and not leaving it to an individual on an honour system to destroy it.

Oh but won't the scanners catch them out if using forgeries or they have been reported lost stolen or even sold on the black market if not rendered null and void by hole punching or cutting off corners.

Well believe it or not those scanners are linked to a software programme that is run on a computer.
Now I could be ever so slightly wrong here so bear with me but don't computers crash or even worse there are power cuts in the hydro systems that provide hydro to border crossings and airports?
So if the computer crashes or the power is out how do we scan the passport

As for the forgeries in this day and age they simply get hold of a genuine passport that has been stolen and manipulate the bio data page photograph or certain data.
Seeing that passports are now valid for 10 years and especially when dealing with a female presenting one to you could you 100% accurately say that is the same person in front of you as depicted in the picture.
Obviously in my job I see quite a few of them. I swear women 5 minutes after they receive their new passport go out and change their hairstyle and colour.
What about men growing beards and now wearing glasses?
Think of how many times a woman changes her hairstyle and colour over a period of 10 years and god forbid I mention how many extra pounds they put onto their face (sorry ladies but its true)

So now with these new facts ya still think its a good idea or just that its more convenient for you after all its all about the individual.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 10th 2015 at 7:21 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:24 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, how you feel about CIC is exactly how I feel about BC MSP and BC revenue Services
Old Sep 10th 2015, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I like it ....

Passport application forms are available at our local PO & credit unions. Possibly at the SAAQ too - I've never noticed/looked for them.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:00 am
Dichotomus tinker

FL @ post #7

surely on the OP point - that once a new passport is issued the old one is defunct or cancelled, which is the same as someone that loses a passport & gets another one only to find the lost one thereafter, no different than with a replacement lost passport eh!

On both those above, between my wife & the children this has happened, with the reality that they had [one of each of] current dated passports & drivers license.

So the return of the old passport IMO is not necessary - its a physical document which as you pointed out 'that when scanned, it shows if it valid' as would a drivers license when the law officer scans it.

Same with the SIN card & provincial photo health card....
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

FL @ post #7

So the return of the old passport IMO is not necessary - its a physical document which as you pointed out 'that when scanned, it shows if it valid' as would a drivers license when the law officer scans it.

Problem with that is, as the article states, that not all countries have access to the Canadian database to see if it's valid or cancelled. So potentially you could have someone traipsing all over the world on this invalid passport because it is genuine and without the database impossible to tell it has been replaced.
I'm not sure about here but certainly in the UK and Australia it is much more difficult and expensive to replace a lost passport than to just renew one.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

what about the 'kiosk' approach to passport renewal?

In Ontario there was the kiosk renewal for drivers license as well as plate stickers, it worked, so why not for passport renewals?

No different than banking, or when doing the express check in at the airport eh!

- enter passport in the scanner & remove

* machine displays - 'using the keypad, in the fields provided - enter your full name, DOB, SIN number, & provincial health card number'

* machine displays about you, your address & last telephone number

- please answer if this is correct 'Y', if not 'N' change & press enter.

- using your credit or debit card, please pay the fee of $xxxx

- now reinsert your passport

- done the passport is ejected with a stamp or something marked cancelled

* screen displays 'thank you, you should receive you new passport within 10 business days'
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

FL @ post #7

surely on the OP point - that once a new passport is issued the old one is defunct or cancelled, which is the same as someone that loses a passport & gets another one only to find the lost one thereafter, no different than with a replacement lost passport eh!

On both those above, between my wife & the children this has happened, with the reality that they had [one of each of] current dated passports & drivers license.

Not all countries use scanners and as I previously said technology is not 100% reliable. I use a scanner and certain countries don't issue passports with a MRZ so that can't be scanned. I have even scanned Canadian passports that won't scan for whatever reason.
Normally SIN and photo IDs are not scanned when producing them as ID. Why change a system that isn't broken?
Passports are also stolen during B & Es and the holder might not know it is missing as they hardly travel and might not notice its missing so therefore a valid passport still valid and NOT reported lost or stolen.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm only posting into here because I naughtily liked the thread title.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 9:38 am
Dichotomus tinker

Not all countries use scanners and as I previously said technology is not 100% reliable. I use a scanner and certain countries don't issue passports with a MRZ so that can't be scanned.

I have even scanned Canadian passports that won't scan for whatever reason.

Normally SIN and photo IDs are not scanned when producing them as ID. Why change a system that isn't broken?

Passports are also stolen during B & Es and the holder might not know it is missing as they hardly travel and might not notice its missing so therefore a valid passport still valid and NOT reported lost or stolen.
fair enough, yet why is there a need to send the old document, just because of some old British passport system which is archaic?

I will take the 'kiosk' approach to passport renewal posted two above this.... what about that, a kiosk in every post office?

Or, passport renewal at the provincial drivers license centre

Last edited by not2old; Sep 10th 2015 at 9:51 am. Reason: edited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.