Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Choosing the right degree for a future in Canada

Choosing the right degree for a future in Canada

Old May 4th 2018, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Choosing the right degree for a future in Canada

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well

My life goal is to settle in or between Hamilton/Toronto area. I have considered applying for a study visa but the fees (for attending a university) and the cost of living out there isn't something I can confidently fund at the moment. I have been looking into setting up an EE account and just sitting in the pool but I feel my scoring won't be high enough and to be quite honest I don't know how it all works! and if there's an order I need to follow? When should I take the language test? Which one do I take? Do they expire? If anything changes for me can I update my profile while its live?

I am currently working as a Business Development Coordinator (Tendering/Work winning) for Morgan Sindall in Rail & Electrification under the Infrastructure division. I have been in this position for a year to date. Prior to that, I have been an Office Manager & Executive PA. I have been in construction & engineering for almost 10 years (I worked for Vinci/Taylor Woodrow for some of those years). The company is investing in its employees by funding and supporting those who wish to study and develop their careers.

Taking the above into consideration, I thought if I study for my degree here in the UK and then either apply for a Canadian job or visa is a good plan? Or during my studying, I apply to finish it off over there (is that possible?). I thought working and saving money while I study in the UK will lay a better foundation for my future out there. If my prospects are not strong enough to score a job or a working visa, I thought perhaps, after getting my degree, apply for a relating college course in Canada that I could easily fund as they would be cheaper than funding a degree and therefore enter under a study visa.

I was wondering if I could get your insight, experience and opinions on what I should focus on within engineering? What about Business Management? I know I need to take into consideration what my capabilities are and ultimately what I want to do/what I will enjoy. I am also aware that there are so many degrees out there. I guess I just need some advice from people who 'have been there done that' so I can make an informed decision. I don't want to commit to something that will not help me in the long run.

I hope what I have written makes sense. Please forgive me if what I have written/asked is ridiculous.

Thank you for reading this far,
Sparrow Clan
Old May 4th 2018, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing the right degree for a future in Canada

Originally Posted by Sparrow Clan

I have been looking into setting up an EE account and just sitting in the pool but I feel my scoring won't be high enough and to be quite honest I don't know how it all works! and if there's an order I need to follow? When should I take the language test? Which one do I take? Do they expire? If anything changes for me can I update my profile while its live?
You can take either IELTS or CELIPS but CELIPS is only offered in Canada so you will most likely be IELTS. You need to take the general not academic version for PR applications.

You must take the test before you can apply for PR as you will need to input the values as part of applying to enter the pool.

Language testing must have been taken within 2 years when you come to actually apply for PR.

Yes you can update you profile while live but you are removed from the pool 1 year after you enter it if you are not selected. In my opinion there is not point paying for ECA and language testing entering the pool unless you are scoring more that approximately 420 points.

Taking the above into consideration, I thought if I study for my degree here in the UK and then either apply for a Canadian job or visa is a good plan? Or during my studying, I apply to finish it off over there (is that possible?). I thought working and saving money while I study in the UK will lay a better foundation for my future out there.
The problem is without qualifying for PR you will likely need an LMIA to obtain a work permit in Canada. This means the employer must prove there is no Canadian citizen or PR willing or able to do the job. Likely a tall order in GTA and in your line of work and especially without a degree. Bear in mind studying in Canada is very expensive compared to UK, you will be on international tuition fee rates and bachelors degrees typically take 4 years in NA.

Are you younger than 30 perhaps?

If my prospects are not strong enough to score a job or a working visa, I thought perhaps, after getting my degree, apply for a relating college course in Canada that I could easily fund as they would be cheaper than funding a degree and therefore enter under a study visa.
Tuition fees would be lower but living costs likely the same. but you need to consider if the qualification would be sufficient to either:
enable you to either apply for PR (i.e. does it give you sufficient CRS points);
qualify for a PGWP; or
be sufficient to obtain an LMIA.

Canadians love their pieces of papers.

I was wondering if I could get your insight, experience and opinions on what I should focus on within engineering? What about Business Management? I know I need to take into consideration what my capabilities are and ultimately what I want to do/what I will enjoy. I am also aware that there are so many degrees out there. I guess I just need some advice from people who 'have been there done that' so I can make an informed decision. I don't want to commit to something that will not help me in the long run.
If you are into the technical aspects and feel you could cope then a degree in one of the engineering fields itself is highly prized in Canada (yes i'm biased). Otherwise construction management, project management, quantity surveying or similar are all good degrees to consider.
Old May 4th 2018, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing the right degree for a future in Canada

What you are currently scoring on the CRS? I see from your previous posts that you've had an IEC so with your work experience in Canada are you sure you don't have enough points? You'd only need over 400 for Ontario PNP so that's maybe an option?

And when will you start losing points due to age? If it's anytime sooner then definitely apply asap, don't leave it any longer.

Good luck.