Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Children abandoned by father - do we need a piece of paper?

Children abandoned by father - do we need a piece of paper?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Children abandoned by father - do we need a piece of paper?

The children of my partner are 17 and 5. The whereabouts of their fathers is unknown and the fathers have chosen not to be in contact with their child (for 5 years now).

Does anyone know if there is a piece of paper we need to support this for our PNP, if so who from? Would a sworn oath be sufficient?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children abandoned by father - do we need a piece of paper?

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
The children of my partner are 17 and 5. The whereabouts of their fathers is unknown and the fathers have chosen not to be in contact with their child (for 5 years now).

Does anyone know if there is a piece of paper we need to support this for our PNP, if so who from? Would a sworn oath be sufficient?

Thanks
Hi Ontheboatout

Pretty sure that this has been covered before but for the life of me cannot remember who posted the thread

If you do a search for step children or adopted something on those lines in immigration forum think you are sure to come up with something

Good Luck
Gay
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Try this thread - not the one I meant but there is discussion as to how to resolve the matter

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=step+children

Last edited by burton bunch; Feb 6th 2007 at 8:46 pm. Reason: forgot the bloomin' link lol
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Glad you asked this, i too would like that answering.
We are going out on PNP and my ex gave up his kids and wrote to court saying he wasnt going to pursue his custody rights..... I wonder if that letter from court will be enough for us. He too never sees or has contact with his kids.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrisi65
Glad you asked this, i too would like that answering.
We are going out on PNP and my ex gave up his kids and wrote to court saying he wasnt going to pursue his custody rights..... I wonder if that letter from court will be enough for us. He too never sees or has contact with his kids.
I just don't want it to become an issue. They have given up parental responsibility but how do you prove it if you don't know where they are?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't want it to become an issue. They have given up parental responsibility but how do you prove it if you don't know where they are?
Go and see a good family law solicitor in the United Kingdom. Were you married to the father? If so, he can't just give up "parental responsibility" just like that. It may not matter much for your 17 year old but for your 5 year old you really ought to get a court order giving you exclusive custody rights (including the right to remove the child permanently from the United Kingdom).

If on the other hand you were never married, the father may never have had any parental responsibility in the first place.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Go and see a good family law solicitor in the United Kingdom. Were you married to the father? If so, he can't just give up "parental responsibility" just like that. It may not matter much for your 17 year old but for your 5 year old you really ought to get a court order giving you exclusive custody rights (including the right to remove the child permanently from the United Kingdom).

If on the other hand you were never married, the father may never have had any parental responsibility in the first place.
No, not married. He saw the five year old once just after her birth then disappeared.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No, not married. He saw the five year old once just after her birth then disappeared.
In that case probably never had parental responsibility to begin with as your child seems to have been born before rules changed.

Talk to a family law solicitor to get an exact view.

And be prepared for CIC officials not to understand the law and start demanding court orders anyway. In some cases they may accept a letter from your solicitor explaining United Kingdom law, which under Canada's international obligations they are expected to respect (however a lot don't understand this). It may be a little easier if there are no father details on birth certificate.

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 7th 2007 at 3:17 am.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks
when i had to do this i called the court that dealt with our divorce/child proceedings. They said i would have to serve papers on the ex for him to agree to remove child and give up parental responsiblility(we were married). Explained this is my problem as i dont know where he is!!! they were not a lot of help i can assure you. she kept telling me the same thing and i kept telling her how can i do that when i dont know where he is. SHe then told me to go to a solicitor who would maybe able to help me furthur by writing etc to last know residence, family etc so that this would prove that i had tried and failed to locate him. I could then take that to a judge who would grant me the right to remove daughter from UK. IN the end i wrote to all his family members enclosing a letter for him to sign in front of a notary public. This much to surprise ended with him nearly 3 months later returning the letter signed and sealed by notary public!! To be honest i dont think it would have been an issue as daughter was 17 but was covering myself. Daughter also wrote a letter to go in our application stating her preference to go with us and that she had had no contact with him for years. The short answer is go to solicitor as if you were not married you may be able to get letter from him stating the law that ex never had any parental responsibility etc. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:49 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

All - Get legal advise on this please. I have and am now in the throws of getting it sorted out. My circumstances are unpleasant and I won't go into them and elements of every post on here reflect my situation. I still have to use the legal route though. I asked this question over a year ago and all sorts of advise was given. Best to make sure everything is done correctly than be accused of child abduction - no matter how stupid it is.

Good luck everyone