Cheesed off! Canadian University

Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:02 pm
cbays

cbays is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheesed off! Canadian University

Hi all
I think I just want to rant here, but if anyone can offer any advice - that'd be good too.

Our application for PR went in the que in January 06.

We didn't quite meet the points requirements so my husband is doing a computer course at TRU university in Kamloops. At least this way, we can be in Canada while we're waiting for the process.

So, here we are, he is studying, I am working.

Here's the problem.

The level of course he needs to take is quite a high level diploma (high for us anyway) in order to satisfy the points criteria, so he has identifyed a 'CSOM' course that will match his skills and keep immigration happy.

The university has advised him what courses he has to take PRIOR to him going on the CSOM course in order for him to be at the entry level.

So, he is taking Math 03 and English 10 and then will take the required Math 04 in summer school. Then he can start his CSOM in September this year.

Now, today, (after being here for 3 months already and paying through the nose to go on these courses as an international student) they tell him he needs math 05, not 04 to get onto the CSOM course. But THEY are the ones who told him to take math 04.

I am ready to go up there and kill someone - its $6000 per semester!

He's going to speak to the guy who runs the course, but honestly, I'm fuming - if he's not allowed on this course, we will have to come back to England and forget the whole thing. Which is great since we've sold everything we own to do this. This was a risk, we know that, and we can take the consequenses if WE fail, but not for some stupid admin person at the uni getting the information wrong!

GRRRRRR
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

mctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nice
Default Re: Cheesed off! Canadian University

Originally Posted by cbays
Now, today, (after being here for 3 months already and paying through the nose to go on these courses as an international student) they tell him he needs math 05, not 04 to get onto the CSOM course. But THEY are the ones who told him to take math 04.
Can't he just take Math 05 at Summer School, instead of Math 04, like he was going to?

Mike.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 4:59 pm
cbays

Originally Posted by mctunes
Can't he just take Math 05 at Summer School, instead of Math 04, like he was going to?

Mike.

Hi Mike
thanks for replying - that would be great, but when you've been out of the education system for 20 odd years, its not easy to get back into the swing of things. He started on the Math 04, but had to drop down to 3 because he was finding it hard. So now he's been able to work up to math 4 and feels confident he can do it now - then they go an up it another level.

thank you for your message, i am calmer now.

C
Old Apr 8th 2006, 1:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbays
Hi Mike
thanks for replying - that would be great, but when you've been out of the education system for 20 odd years, its not easy to get back into the swing of things. He started on the Math 04, but had to drop down to 3 because he was finding it hard. So now he's been able to work up to math 4 and feels confident he can do it now - then they go an up it another level.

thank you for your message, i am calmer now.

C
Math 05 requires a basic knowledge of algebra that will be acquired through Math 04 at TRU. Math 04 is Grade 10 Maths basically. If he's doing Math 03, then he might find Math 05 confusing rather than difficult. There are books in the library that can help him bridge the gap, but the pre-req for Math 05 is 04 unless an instructor gives him permission to skip Math 04. It wouldn't be wise to skip it unless he can sit a Math Placement Test to demonstrate that he has enough algebra to complete Math 05. It's like a building blocks system here, rather than conceptual. Hope you find a solution, but he may have to do Math 04. Ask if he can run Math 05 concurrently in the first semester of the Diploma.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:37 pm
cbays

Originally Posted by dingbat
Math 05 requires a basic knowledge of algebra that will be acquired through Math 04 at TRU. Math 04 is Grade 10 Maths basically. If he's doing Math 03, then he might find Math 05 confusing rather than difficult. There are books in the library that can help him bridge the gap, but the pre-req for Math 05 is 04 unless an instructor gives him permission to skip Math 04. It wouldn't be wise to skip it unless he can sit a Math Placement Test to demonstrate that he has enough algebra to complete Math 05. It's like a building blocks system here, rather than conceptual. Hope you find a solution, but he may have to do Math 04. Ask if he can run Math 05 concurrently in the first semester of the Diploma.

Thanks !

that's very useful info - he has booked an 'accuplacer' and has a book on algebra - fingers crossed.

thanks again to both for your replies
it helps to know someone is out there