Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Cheaper to import car or buy new one?

Cheaper to import car or buy new one?

Old Jun 7th 2001, 11:35 pm
nick

I'm trying to figure whether to import my '85 Subaru from the US, or buy a different
one in Canada. Seems kind of complex. Here's a few questions:

1. As my car is old, the only modification required is 8km/h bumpers. Is this
expensive? Do I need entirely new bumpers? Where do I get this done?

2. Will I have to replace my cracked windshield to pass BC Provincial Inspection?

3. Will I have to pay some extra fee because I have A/C ?

Any suggestions to links that might have this info would help. I already looked at
riv.ca of course.

BTW Anyone have any opinion on why second-hand cars are so much more expensive in
Canada than US?

Old Jun 8th 2001, 3:47 am
Gary L. Dare

BTW Anyone have any opinion on why second-hand cars
    >

Lower mileage (nobody in Winnipeg has a 20 mile commute like I have in metro
Chicago).

Less rust (most areas use no or little salt, it's too cold most of the winter for it
to be useful and sand is better and cheaper for traction).

--
Gary L. Dare [email protected]

"Je me souviens"

Old Jun 8th 2001, 4:52 pm
Rich Wales

"nick" wrote:

> I'm trying to figure whether to import my '85 Subaru from the US . . . . As my
> car is old, the only modification required is 8km/h bumpers. Is this expensive?
> Do I need entirely new bumpers? Where do I get this done?

I don't believe you have to do this. It's my understanding that an '85 car can be
imported from the US to Canada without any modifica- tions whatsoever.

Any vehicle (except a bus) that is at least 15 years old at the time of importation
-- based on the month and year of manufacture shown on the certification plate or
sticker -- is exempt from Transport Canada's vehicle requirements (bumpers, seat belt
design, etc.).

See http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Impor...h/im2gen_e.htm for confirmation of
the above.

It would appear that Transport Canada's vehicle importation pages were last revised
in June 2000 -- meaning that they have not been updated to reflect the fact that '85
vehicles are now exempt from the regular requirements under the "15 years old or
older" escape clause.

> Will I have to replace my cracked windshield to pass BC Provincial Inspection?

I would be amazed if you did not have to do this -- though you should check with the
BC motor vehicle people, just to be absolutely sure.

> Will I have to pay some extra fee because I have A/C ?

As I recall, imported vehicles with air conditioning are subject to an addition C$100
excise tax. If you are immigrating to Canada for the first time, however, there is a
special customs exemption for "settlers' effects", and it's my understanding that the
A/C tax is waived in such cases.

In any case, before importing such an old car, you should consider whether it will be
feasible to maintain it in Canada. It is quite likely that the Subaru dealers near
your new Canadian home may not have ready access to the correct parts lists for your
car -- so if something needs to be repaired (or just replaced as part of periodic
maintenance), it may be a major hassle identifying the exact part number and getting
the correct part. When I lived in Canada (from 1993 to 1997), I often had to jump
through extra hoops to keep my '84 Honda Accord properly maintaned; sometimes I ended
up phoning a Honda dealership in the States, getting a part number from them, and
then having my local (Canadian) Honda dealer special-order the part. If the American
dealership gave me the wrong part number, of course, I was the one left holding the
bag (no refunds on special orders, no one else prepared to accept the blame, etc.).

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Jun 8th 2001, 5:16 pm
nicholas davis

Thanks Rich for that helpful info. Sounds like it still might be worth importing my
car, if all I have to fix is the windshield. Thats interesting your comment about it
being hard to get parts. A bit weird. In the states there's no problem getting parts.
To be honest seems like Americans are far more competent at looking after their cars
and keeping them going. When I came to the US I thought old cars were pricey here
compared to the UK, then I saw Canada's prices. There's people asking $1500 for an
'85 Nissan Micra. that would cost 100 quid back in the UK! Add to that having trouble
finding parts. Now I'm even more worried about the transit strike!

Old Jun 8th 2001, 5:51 pm
Simson Alex

Rich, would you know about a 91 Camry? This is what I have. The only thing I hate
about it is the automatic seat belt which is actually a pain. Are automatic seat-belt
systems acceptable in Canada? Thanks Simson

Rich Wales wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 8th 2001, 11:26 pm
Rich Wales

Simson Alex wrote:

> Rich, would you know about a 91 Camry? This is what I have. The only thing I
> hate about it is the automatic seat belt which is actually a pain. Are
> automatic seat-belt systems acceptable in Canada?

Please double-check this with the RIV and/or Transport Canada, but it appears that a
1991 Toyota Camry can NOT be imported into Canada.
(http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/Impor...h/im3toy_e.htm)

The seat belt issue is frequently a showstopper for US-market cars built between the
mid-80's and the mid-90's. Canada never bought into the US's "passive restraint" seat
belt systems -- preferring instead to rely on the sorts of mandatory seat belt laws
that Con- gress refused to impose on the states. As a result, many (though not all)
US-style automatic seat belt systems do NOT meet Canadian safety specifications. When
this is the case, it is generally NOT possible to make any modifications to the car
that would make any difference to Canadian regulators.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.