Changing Work Visa to Visitor

Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

zebrapjs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing Work Visa to Visitor

Hi Everyone

My work Visa is nearly up next month and I was wondering how I can change my status to a visitor? Can this be done online? If so where? Are there any fees to pay? Does anyone know how long it takes?

I got told I could go to the the USA and then comeback in, however I am planning to travel alittle after my visa expires and my sister is also visiting me so I have not yet booked a ticket back.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Work Visa to Visitor

Originally Posted by zebrapjs
Hi Everyone

My work Visa is nearly up next month and I was wondering how I can change my status to a visitor? Can this be done online? If so where? Are there any fees to pay? Does anyone know how long it takes?

I got told I could go to the the USA and then comeback in, however I am planning to travel alittle after my visa expires and my sister is also visiting me so I have not yet booked a ticket back.

Can anyone offer any advice?
You can apply online via the CIC website to change from worker to visitor read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

The fee is $75 by doing it online or you could leave and then re-enter for FREE but that is at the discretion of the examining officer.
Timelines are on the link provided.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can apply online via the CIC website to change from worker to visitor read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

The fee is $75 by doing it online or you could leave and then re-enter for FREE but that is at the discretion of the examining officer.
Timelines are on the link provided.
I am sorry Im slightly confused and alittle cautious as I have previously submitted an application and apparently it was wrong. I clicked on the link you advised me so am I supposed to be clicking on "apply to extend your stay" option and go from there?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry Im slightly confused and alittle cautious as I have previously submitted an application and apparently it was wrong. I clicked on the link you advised me so am I supposed to be clicking on "apply to extend your stay" option and go from there?
Yes click on the apply to extend stay link and follow the procedures.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

I am in the process of following the step by step options and came across this question which I am alittle unsure about:

Are you staying in Canada for more than 6 months and have lived in one or more designated countries or territories for more than six months in the last year? Your stay starts on the day you enter Canada and ends on the day you want to leave Canada.

When I change my status as a visitor I will be staying in Canada for less than 6 months, I have been in Canada for nearly a year so I have not lived in the designated territories for more than 6 months in the last year. Does that mean i click no?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am in the process of following the step by step options and came across this question which I am alittle unsure about:

Are you staying in Canada for more than 6 months and have lived in one or more designated countries or territories for more than six months in the last year? Your stay starts on the day you enter Canada and ends on the day you want to leave Canada.

When I change my status as a visitor I will be staying in Canada for less than 6 months, I have been in Canada for nearly a year so I have not lived in the designated territories for more than 6 months in the last year. Does that mean i click no?
Good job that question wont determine if approved or not The answer is NO.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Aug 5th 2013 at 9:40 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Godd job that question wont determine if approved or not The answer is NO.
Thank you, Im so glad we have forums like this!!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

So I have one last question...

it says which one are you applying for:
an extension of a temporary resident status
an initial or extension of a temporary resident permit
a restoration of your status as a visitor.

I am assuming its the last option...I tried to find out what the restoration bit meant but could only find info on it that involved student visas.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So I have one last question...

it says which one are you applying for:
an extension of a temporary resident status
an initial or extension of a temporary resident permit
a restoration of your status as a visitor.

I am assuming its the last option...I tried to find out what the restoration bit meant but could only find info on it that involved student visas.
I think it should be an extension of a temporary resident status as all workers, students and visitors are temporary residents. CIC elected not to put in a change of worker to visitor category or vice versa which would seem logical to some. There again i could be wrong as I dont work for CIC and think logically Which ever you choose you tell them briefly that you are currently working and would like to extend your stay as a visitor.