Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing Status from BUNAC to Visitor

Changing Status from BUNAC to Visitor

Old Aug 13th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Linzania is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Status from BUNAC to Visitor

A couple of questions about changing status - I'm looking at Box 10 of the change of conditions form where it asks for how long you want to extend and for what reason.

I'd like to "visit" my boyfriend here for as long as possible - I think the maximum is a 6 month visa so should I write a date 6 months from when I sign the form? Is it best to put down the maximum amount of time, are they likely to say yes to this?

My plan is to, hopefully, continue to stay here on a visitor visa to"visit" my bf (as many people said to me don't write "stay" in canada) but is it worth mentioning on the form that I will also apply for a common law sponsorship in september when we have lived together for 1 year?

Would that be a reason for them to say no to me to remain here for a further 6 months as a visitor?

My original reason for coming here was to live together with my bf as well as experience working in canada. I'd like to extend so that I could possibly travel around (having worked a solid 12 mths) which I will write down as my main reason to stay. I suppose I know I should be totally honest with them about visiting/living with my bf but just wonder about the right words to use on the form so that they don't scrutinise so much.

I have the intention of going back to the UK at xmas time and have permanent residency/ties back home, as well as enough proof of funds (I think) to remain in canada 6 months without working. I'm just worried about how involved to get with the question about why I want to stay here.

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Changing Status from BUNAC to Visitor

If I apply to extend my visit in Canada before the expiry of my current visa, is that OK? I will miss the "30 days before" (what it says on the website) deadline by a couple of days... Fingers crossed I'll be OK!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

I am writing my reason to extend my stay in Canada for my change of conditions form and I'm in need of some advice. As mentioned above, I would like to stay in Canada longer than my one year visa allows. So, I hope to change to a visitor visa.

However, under question 10 on the form "I want to extend my stay in Canada for the following reasons" I am having some trouble deciding what to write, and what sounds the best.

In Sept we will apply for common-law sponsorship (when we reach our one year living together). But do I make this clear on my application to change status? Right now, I have mentioned that I want to continue to visit Canada so I can travel more (which is true, having no vacation time for a year is not good for me!) as well as visit my boyfriend who I have lived with. In short, how in depth do I need to go for my reason to stay here?

When I am reading back what I have written, I am scrutinsing the part where I have mentioned applying for common-law. Will CIC look down on this as a valid reason to continue visiting Canada? Or will it look best, in the long run, for me to mention it because next month our common law application will be sent in?

I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts about this, especially from people who have recently applied for the same thing.

Thank you in advance
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

I checked with CIC re. the 30 days thing when my partner was doing the same. They REQUEST 30 days, but it is not mandatory. What you need is to be able to prove your application arrived at the office prior to your Bunac visa expiring. In our case, we sent his status change application via a 2 day post that required a signature on delivery. It arrived prior to his Bunac expiring and we have the proof (signed). So according to them, it was there in time. To be fair, it arrived about 2 1/2 weeks before his Bunac expired.

As for how to fill the form, well, you know what we did from the PM I sent you. Not sure what others have done regarding that.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:55 am
Just Joined

gaijin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Did you decided what to do? I am in exactly the same situation as you ( about 2 weeks behind you). I was filling out the forms today, but then I started to panic at that bit.

Just wanted to know what others do!

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Still undecided! Eek! But I do have one more month before the expiry of my bunac so still have time. I did think that the 30 days wasn't mandatory but always good to know for sure.

I'll keep you posted on what happens!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

perfect - that's just what I hoped to hear For some reason I cannot find time to sit down for a long period of time and get these answers written!
Thanks for the PM btw, I also thought it best to disclose our plans regarding the common law and be as honest as possible. Don't want anything contradicting to be scrutinised or just rejected.

Originally Posted by Kynn
I checked with CIC re. the 30 days thing when my partner was doing the same. They REQUEST 30 days, but it is not mandatory. What you need is to be able to prove your application arrived at the office prior to your Bunac visa expiring. In our case, we sent his status change application via a 2 day post that required a signature on delivery. It arrived prior to his Bunac expiring and we have the proof (signed). So according to them, it was there in time. To be fair, it arrived about 2 1/2 weeks before his Bunac expired.

As for how to fill the form, well, you know what we did from the PM I sent you. Not sure what others have done regarding that.