Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

changes to future immigration policy??

changes to future immigration policy??

Old Sep 19th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

timetomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Question changes to future immigration policy??

Hello Everyone

I have just submitted a skilled worker application for permanent residency with the Canadian High Commission in London.

I am trying to plan my immigration and would really appreciate some help.
I hope this is ok..

.. I just wondered if anyone had any information relating to Canada's immigration policy..i.e, what they plan to do about these waiting times....forthcomming elections.. passmarks ..proposals, etc.

I will do some more research on the internet and get back to you.

I hope this will be of value to others in my situation. Thank you,

Tim
Old Sep 19th 2005, 5:06 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: changes to future immigration policy??

Any future changes in policy or pass mark will not really affect timelines of applications already in process. Even with prohibitively high set pass mark already pending cases must be assessed anyway before they are rejected on the basis of low points score.

The hard reality is that over 130,000 pre-2002 applications that were frozen for past 2.5 years are being put back into the process and 50% of them must be completed within 12 months. So, just these 50% will use annual visa quota if not more, depending from visa post. Rest will have to be completed within 42 months (2000 cases within 24 months and 2001 cases within 42 months). Any change to pass mark will not affect those 130,000 cases - thus it is a given that waiting queue for all other (still pending and new) applications will be longer than it was till date.

Originally Posted by timetomove
Hello Everyone

I have just submitted a skilled worker application for permanent residency with the Canadian High Commission in London.

I am trying to plan my immigration and would really appreciate some help.
I hope this is ok..

.. I just wondered if anyone had any information relating to Canada's immigration policy..i.e, what they plan to do about these waiting times....forthcomming elections.. passmarks ..proposals, etc.

I will do some more research on the internet and get back to you.

I hope this will be of value to others in my situation. Thank you,

Tim
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Any future changes in policy or pass mark will not really affect timelines of applications already in process. Even with prohibitively high set pass mark already pending cases must be assessed anyway before they are rejected on the basis of low points score.

The hard reality is that over 130,000 pre-2002 applications that were frozen for past 2.5 years are being put back into the process and 50% of them must be completed within 12 months. So, just these 50% will use annual visa quota if not more, depending from visa post. Rest will have to be completed within 42 months (2000 cases within 24 months and 2001 cases within 42 months). Any change to pass mark will not affect those 130,000 cases - thus it is a given that waiting queue for all other (still pending and new) applications will be longer than it was till date.
Andrew,

Is there any documented information on how many of these pre-2002 cases there are by country? Personally I would like to know how many there are going via London, but I'm sure everyone would be most interested in the actual figures.

Do these old cases take precedence in the allocation of visas regardless of the cases currently in process? Will they be process first?

Are they going to come out of the current quota of visas or are they using different quota?

Dozzzzy
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:21 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know of any numbers by country or by visa post.

And yes, they have the highest priority for 2 reasons - (1) it is court approved settlement and (2) they were submitted before all other now pending cases anyway, so they deserve to be processed before cases submitted afterwards.

And yes, they will come from the general annual quota - there is no separate quota for those cases. This is why I said that those pre-2002 cases will take probably most (if not all in some visa posts) of the annual quota for next 18 months and probably about half of annual quota for the remainder of 42 months period set in the settlement.

Knowing actual figures won't do you any good - you will have to wait anyway.

Processing priorities are already set in most visa posts as (from highest to lowest priority) - (1) spousal, common-law and conjugal partner sponsorship cases, (2) settlement cases, (3) PNP cases, (4) other economic class cases and (5) parents sponsorship cases.

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Andrew,

Is there any documented information on how many of these pre-2002 cases there are by country? Personally I would like to know how many there are going via London, but I'm sure everyone would be most interested in the actual figures.

Do these old cases take precedence in the allocation of visas regardless of the cases currently in process? Will they be process first?

Are they going to come out of the current quota of visas or are they using different quota?

Dozzzzy
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I don't know of any numbers by country or by visa post.

And yes, they have the highest priority for 2 reasons - (1) it is court approved settlement and (2) they were submitted before all other now pending cases anyway, so they deserve to be processed before cases submitted afterwards.

And yes, they will come from the general annual quota - there is no separate quota for those cases. This is why I said that those pre-2002 cases will take probably most (if not all in some visa posts) of the annual quota for next 18 months and probably about half of annual quota for the remainder of 42 months period set in the settlement.

Knowing actual figures won't do you any good - you will have to wait anyway.

Processing priorities are already set in most visa posts as (from highest to lowest priority) - (1) spousal, common-law and conjugal partner sponsorship cases, (2) settlement cases, (3) PNP cases, (4) other economic class cases and (5) parents sponsorship cases.
Thank you

Dozzzzy