Chances of PR if going on TWP

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Question Chances of PR if going on TWP

Hi,

I am hoping that someone will read this thread and be able to assist.

My family and I (me, husband and two daughters 9 and 7) would love to emigrate to Canada. To be honest it is something we have 'thought' about for the last 10 years, but I suppose that has been our problem we have only 'thought' about it - until now. Now we wish we had done something about it pre-children. Anyway, hindsight is a wonderful thing and there is no point looking back we have to think about the future.

Unfortunately neither my husband or I have enough points to apply for permanent residency and therefore we see our only option is to enter on a TWP. This raises questions (and I suppose doubts about whether to go through with it) particularly where our daughters are concerned. One thing we don't want to do is go out on a TWP for 1/2 years only to find that we still can't apply for PR and have to come back. It seems a lot of upheaval for the kids to have to come back.

Education is such an important issue for us that we don't want them to suffer in this area.

One of the questions that I was hoping someone could help with is what is the likelihood of being granted PR whilst in Canada on a TWP?

I have been doing some research about obtaining job offers before applying for a TWP and I just wonder how many companies are out there that are willing to offer a job when it is uncertain how long it is going to be before you get out there?

My husband is a supervisor for a well known parcel distribution company who actually have depots in Canada but after making enquiries with them they have said they can only offer a position once he gets to Canada. I don't suppose there is any way we could go out there and then obtain a job and TWP?

I think what we are wanting really is some certainty (although I'm not sure that is possible).

We have thought about going out to Canada (without the kids) and just applying for jobs and trying to get interviews in the hope that it will line something up and would meet an employer willing to go through the LMO process and wait the TWP to come through.

Maybe I should say that this is my first time on the forum and I appreciate that I may have rambled on a little. Advice on forum ettiquette is welcome ie should I keep things short and sweet?! I keep thinking of loads more questions but thought it best not to put on one thread.

Many thanks in anticipation of any responses.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of PR if going on TWP

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, can I suggest you read the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). Grab a cuppa and get reading, pay particular attention to the section entitled Job Hunting which is specifically aimed at those hoping to get out there on a TWP and which should give you loads of advice, from how to turn your CV into a Canadian resume, to how Canadian jobs are obtained (very different from the UK).

Your idea to go out there and job hunt is a very good one, lots of people on here do a one or two week job hunting trip and often return with at least one offer - have a read of the article entitled 'Scouting Trip' (just put it into the search and it'll bring it up) for more info about exactly what to do on that trip.

As for turning a TWP into PR, it's very common and that's what most people aim to do (and succeed). There are two routes to it, either your employer would have to give you a permanent job offer approved by HRSDC, which you can then use to apply as a Skilled Worker. Or you can apply via the provinces PNP Program. Again, details of both these routes are in the Wiki.

And finally, your question about going out to Canada without a TWP and getting a job with your husbands current employer - personally not something I'd risk doing (particularly with kids). What if they change their mind when you get out there and you've paid lots of money to move your lives out there, given up school places, etc, etc?

Plus you'd only be on a visitors permit to start with (the LMO and TWP would take at least 2 months, perhaps as long as 6 months, to come through so you'd have no status other than as visitors until that point), which would mean your children wouldn't be eligible for schooling during that time, and none of you would be covered by provincial healthcare. Hence why I say I wouldn't do it with kids!

Hope that helps a bit - get reading the Wiki this evening and lots of things will (hopefully!) soon become clearer.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:19 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi , welcome to BE

Are you looking at a particular area of Canada?

In addition to the info in the wiki re the process, take a look at the Provincial Nominee Programmes, each province has its own immigration process so you may find that one of these could tick your box.

Good luck, there is loads of reading to do, but it will help to make your options clearer.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

Thanks to both of you, there sure is lots of reading to do - its a shame I'm the reader out of my husband and I!!

I totally appreciate what you are saying about going out there without the TWP and it is very risky. The other thing we have thought about is sending my hubby over without us and once everything sorted we could go out, but to be honest I think this would be a very last resort. Its just knowing what to do for the best really.

I'm definitely going to get the kiddiwinks in bed and settle down with the laptop (although to be honest, I'm surprised the kids have eaten tonight - I seem to have been glued to the laptop since I got home from work!).
Old Mar 19th 2009, 7:35 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

no probs, you will find BE very addicitive

I have sent you a pm
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger75
I totally appreciate what you are saying about going out there without the TWP and it is very risky. The other thing we have thought about is sending my hubby over without us and once everything sorted we could go out, but to be honest I think this would be a very last resort.
I don't really understand why you'd need to do that - it would probably take at least a few months (the norm is about 6 months) to get all the paperwork sorted anyway.

So why not go out there for a holiday and job hunting trip, and then return to the UK whilst job offer, LMO, etc, is sorted? Then you can sort things out in the UK and all return to Canada when the paperwork is in order a few months later.

Then no need for you to be separated, or to risk going to Canada without a work permit.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

You're absolutely right.

To be honest its just a case of throwing a few ideas around.

As I said one of my hubby's main worries is the upheaval of everything for 1/2 years and then having to come home because we cannot get PR, but I suppose its one of those things that unless you try you will never know.

Its just so daunting, but obviously exciting at the same time. I've never know mixed emotions like it!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

ZWogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smudger75
You're absolutely right.

To be honest its just a case of throwing a few ideas around.

As I said one of my hubby's main worries is the upheaval of everything for 1/2 years and then having to come home because we cannot get PR, but I suppose its one of those things that unless you try you will never know.

Its just so daunting, but obviously exciting at the same time. I've never know mixed emotions like it!
Totally daunting Smudger but like you have said yourself until you try you will never know and you don't want to risk the rest of your life wondering "what if".

Just about to have tea and will call you before Greys. Addictive this website like you say. So many great people with such great advice. x
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

No worries ZWogan. We will speak later. x
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:27 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

After two years you could always apply for "Canadian Experience Class" which is a new scheme that gives permanet residency to those that are living and working in Canada (or studying in Canada).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp