Wikiposts

Certified or notarised???

Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certified or notarised???

Hello,

My sollicitor will "certify" documents for me but cannot "notarise" them. Can any of the experts or anyone who has successfully had documents "certified" and not "notarised" in the UK for Canadian immgration spousal category, without them being sent back please advise on which ones are acceptable to Canadian immmgration.

The reason I ask is that to have my docs "notarised" I have been quoted £150 and to get them "Certified" by my sollictor I have been quoted £25!!!

Thanks in advance, Jameso
Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:26 am
Lyles

Default Re: Certified or notarised???

Hi James,

I've recently requested to have my Mexican marriage certificate translated and notarised. Have a look at what Mr Humphries recommended:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=miller

I've been quoted £75 plus VAT for the notarisation. Company called RTS, I think - sorry, going from memory, but I can find out for sure if you like. Sure it doesn't matter if you don't require translation part of the service. Also had my German birth certificate notarised. So, my guess is that you'd need to have your documents notarised, although it may depend on what documents they are!!!

I've recently read a few threads stating that solicitors acting on behalf of an applicant are requesting that all certificates, (birth, marriage, educational, employment etc), be either certified, notarised or both. I completed the forms myself and have had nothing, except the documents mentioned above notarised. As far as I'm aware, the guidelines do not mention anything about having documents certified/notarised (apart from the ones mentioned above). All documents should be photocopies, except for the Police Checks and any degree transcripts, I believe.

Maybe someone can set me straight on this one. I think I will have a nervous breakdown if I'm told I should have had everything certified. :scared:

Worried now!

Leila

Originally Posted by Jameso
Hello,

My sollicitor will "certify" documents for me but cannot "notarise" them. Can any of the experts or anyone who has successfully had documents "certified" and not "notarised" in the UK for Canadian immgration spousal category, without them being sent back please advise on which ones are acceptable to Canadian immmgration.

The reason I ask is that to have my docs "notarised" I have been quoted £150 and to get them "Certified" by my sollictor I have been quoted £25!!!

Thanks in advance, Jameso

Old Mar 11th 2005, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Jameso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyles
Hi James,

I've recently requested to have my Mexican marriage certificate translated and notarised. Have a look at what Mr Humphries recommended:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=miller

I've been quoted £75 plus VAT for the notarisation. Company called RTS, I think - sorry, going from memory, but I can find out for sure if you like. Sure it doesn't matter if you don't require translation part of the service. Also had my German birth certificate notarised. So, my guess is that you'd need to have your documents notarised, although it may depend on what documents they are!!!

I've recently read a few threads stating that solicitors acting on behalf of an applicant are requesting that all certificates, (birth, marriage, educational, employment etc), be either certified, notarised or both. I completed the forms myself and have had nothing, except the documents mentioned above notarised. As far as I'm aware, the guidelines do not mention anything about having documents certified/notarised (apart from the ones mentioned above). All documents should be photocopies, except for the Police Checks and any degree transcripts, I believe.

Maybe someone can set me straight on this one. I think I will have a nervous breakdown if I'm told I should have had everything certified. :scared:

Worried now!

Leila
no need for you to worry. I am applying in family sponsorship class, so the process is different. It is just that in my case I need to make copies of parts of my partners Passport to proove something that relates to our case (i.e that she has a visa to be me in th uk. I cannot send her original passport in so I need to know if the copy I send in needs to "notarised" or "certified" as I understand that "notarisation" and "certification" are not the same thing. My sollictor told me to find out if immigration Canada need "notarised" docs or will "certified" docs do.

Thanks again, Jameso
Old Mar 11th 2005, 7:52 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

A notory is a person appointed by a state governement to witness the signing of important documents and administer oaths.

A solicitor holds such a position that he can personally "certify" them as a true copy, but has not been appointed in the same way as a notory.
a notory public is extremely common in Europe US and Canada, but not in UK.
I think you will find a solicitor will be fine if Uk citizen, as many people do not even get things notorised and CHC (London) no longer sk except for impotant docs.
But we decided to use a notory. I think a notory should really look at originals and copies quite closely and look for signs of forgeries, and if he signs and it turns out to be a forgery there may be some come back on him.

If some one just runs them through a copier and then says yes these are a copy of the original given to me, and certifies this. They are purely making copies. Yur solicitor wont so it I expect his clerk will! he has better things to do. A notory will do it (or should) that is why he charges what he does. Mine took two hours to do them all, so he must have been thorough.

Thanks in advance, Jameso[/QUOTE]