Wikiposts

Certificate Translated

Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Certificate Translated

Hi All,

I have a marriage certificate in Greek and then officially translated into English. CIC say the below:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:
•the English or French translation; and
•an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
•a certified photocopy of the original document.

I have both the original and translated, stamped both and signed etc, but what should I get the translator to put in letter/affidavit? any format needed?
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

DaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDaleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate Translated

update wouldn't let me edit it):

Hi All,

I have a marriage certificate in Greek and then officially translated into English. CIC say the below:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

I have both the original and translated, stamped both and signed etc, but what should I get the translator to put in letter/affidavit? any format needed?

The copy has been stamped and signed by the translator but also verified, stamped and signed by the Honorary Consul General to approve/verify it
Old Apr 11th 2017, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the CIC website

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the place where the affidavit is sworn, that the contents of the translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

No preferred format. Just a simple statement saying who they are and what they did and where.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaleBoy
update wouldn't let me edit it):

Hi All,

The copy has been stamped and signed by the translator but also verified, stamped and signed by the Honorary Consul General to approve/verify it
You normally ask the company person doing the translation to provide the affidavit at the same time as the translation. This is what I did for my argentine police certificates. Mine read,

I, translators name, a professional translator fluent in English and Spanish, herby certify that I have translated the attached document, to the best of my knowledge, a true and accurate rendering from wording of the said documents, and that I have adhered to the original style of the writer to the best of my ability.

This was then signed by the translator as well as signed and stamped by a commissioner for taking affidavits.

'but also verified, stamped and signed by the Honorary Consul General to approve/verify it.'

This sounds like an apostle stamp which just confirms the document is a genuine government issued document but does not act as an affidavit for the translation.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
You normally ask the company person doing the translation to provide the affidavit at the same time as the translation. This is what I did for my argentine police certificates. Mine read,

I, translators name, a professional translator fluent in English and Spanish, herby certify that I have translated the attached document, to the best of my knowledge, a true and accurate rendering from wording of the said documents, and that I have adhered to the original style of the writer to the best of my ability.

This was then signed by the translator as well as signed and stamped by a commissioner for taking affidavits.

'but also verified, stamped and signed by the Honorary Consul General to approve/verify it.'

This sounds like an apostle stamp which just confirms the document is a genuine government issued document but does not act as an affidavit for the translation.
What I have managed to get so far is:

1. the original copy
2. the translated copy, stamped and signed by the translator and also signed and stamped by the Hononary Consul
3. A statement from the translator (more less identical to what you stated above) with the translators signature and all the details

This is all I can really get, I assume its a case of submit and hope!
Old Apr 12th 2017, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

i forgot to mention the stamp and signature of the Hononary Consul is on the section which confirms the signature of the translator, so it is a stamp of approval on the translation
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

i forgot to mention the stamp and signature of the Hononary Consul is on the section which confirms the signature of the translator, so it is a stamp of approval on the translation
For the Honorary Consul stamp does it state that the translator sworn the statement in their presence? This is what makes it an affidavit.

On my translations just prior to the signature of the commissioner for taking affidavits is the statement ' Sworn before me at Vancouver, BC on Date.

From what I understand an affidavit is not confirming the signature of the translator but that the translator has sworn the translation is accurate in front of someone able to take affidavits.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

For the Honorary Consul stamp does it state that the translator sworn the statement in their presence? This is what makes it an affidavit.

On my translations just prior to the signature of the commissioner for taking affidavits is the statement ' Sworn before me at Vancouver, BC on Date.

From what I understand an affidavit is not confirming the signature of the translator but that the translator has sworn the translation is accurate in front of someone able to take affidavits.
No, I can only submit what I can get thought, they will have to reject if its not sufficient or enough evidence that it is true.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

All I have on the translation, is a stamp and signature from the translator stating it is a true copy from the greek text, then a signature and stamp from the consul confirming that signature from the translator
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

All I have on the translation, is a stamp and signature from the translator stating it is a true copy from the greek text, then a signature and stamp from the consul confirming that signature from the translator
Was the translator a government employee?

What I think you have is a document that has been apostilled not an affidavit.

The easiest way to sort it may be to get the original documented retranslated with an affidavit.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Was the translator a government employee?

What I think you have is a document that has been apostilled not an affidavit.

The easiest way to sort it may be to get the original documented retranslated with an affidavit.
No, the translator was not part of the government, they were a 3rd party company