Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

yogi799 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

My case is finally completed!!!! It began in May 2003 and ended in August 2004. It took exactly 15 months.

After receiving my passport request on August 2, 2004, I decided to buy an airline ticket and bring the passports for visa stamping to Buffalo in person. On the passport request papers it clearly states that passports can be dropped off and picked up on the same day (so all the stories about Buffalo needing several days are wrong). I showed up at the HSBC center (tallest skyscraper in Buffalo) at 7:30am on Tuesday. As I went inside to the building lobby, a person at the front desk immediately "seized" me as they saw some uncertainty in my moves. He asked what my purpose is at the building (for security purposes, after all it is a skyscraper... connect the dots for yourself, please). When I said Canadian Consulate, the genetlman pointed at the line of people next to the wall. It was a line of RPC visitors as I found out a second later. He asked me to stand in it immediately and almost forcefully. There were about 15 people standing in the line, some of them children. To show you the amount of control of the man mentioned above... some of the children were tired of standing in the line - when they sat down on the floor (no chairs were provided), the man immediately called out for them to get up! It literally felt like we are all unwanted immigrants in the worst meaning of this word. Not only were we collected in a line, we were almost totally prohibited to move!

At exactly 8am, a lady showed up and started asking everyone from the 1st person in the line what the exect purpose of our visit to RPC was. Then she counter 10 or so people and took them to the elevator. She returned after another 5 minutes and took another group upstairs. So, they are controlling who exactly enters the consulate - don't try to visit Buffalo RPC if you don't have a good reason to. There are two security lines - one, the receptionist (security guard) in the lobby and then the lady from the consulate which meets the visitors downstairs to bring them upstairs only in her company! The elevators are also protected by a security guard, so if you try to bypass any of the above, that guard will stop you.

After I finally landed upstairs (on the 30th floor), I was, like all the others to stand in the line to the appropriate window (only 2 window were open) - one for dropping off passports and the other, I think, for all other visas. When my turn came, I was greeted by a nice lady behind a bullet-proof glass, which took my passport. She verified each passport with what was on her computer. Then she took the pictures, gave me a receipt card with some number and asked to come back "this afternoon" (1:30pm-3pm). That's it.

When I came back at 1pm, the same story with the line in the lobby occured - this time there were about 20 people waiting. I joined them, and the lady from the consulate showed up exactly at 1:30pm to pick us up. Let me mention, however, that I did try to bypass the line and go straight to the elevator. The guard stopped me and asked the purpose - I said picking up the passports and wanting to wait upstairs (there were restrooms and TV there in the consulate). He refused to let me go and said they don't want anyone up there until 1:30pm! So, I went to the line. After getting upstairs accompanied by the same lady, we were aksked to sit down and wait for our number to be called. Mine took about 5 minutes. The same lady from the window handed me my passport with stamped visas (what a sight after 1.5 years!!!!) and asked to verify the names, then gave me some huge papers called Confirmation of PR and asked to verify the dates of birth. After that she said not to sign the papers until landing and packed everything in the sealed envelope. That was it!!! My case was thus over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't show my emotions since a bunch of people were waiting for their turn :-(...

The moral (or two) of the story: ONE - Buffalo CAN stamp visa in one day, TWO - don't go there without a good reason, and even if you have one (like for example discussing your case) - you may be stopped before you get to the Consulate. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck and take care!

THANKS FOR EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME WITH MY QUESTIONS - that includes our Experts and EVERYONE ELSE!!!!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

CONGRATS BUDDY. See you in Canada
Originally Posted by yogi799
My case is finally completed!!!! It began in May 2003 and ended in August 2004. It took exactly 15 months.

After receiving my passport request on August 2, 2004, I decided to buy an airline ticket and bring the passports for visa stamping to Buffalo in person. On the passport request papers it clearly states that passports can be dropped off and picked up on the same day (so all the stories about Buffalo needing several days are wrong). I showed up at the HSBC center (tallest skyscraper in Buffalo) at 7:30am on Tuesday. As I went inside to the building lobby, a person at the front desk immediately "seized" me as they saw some uncertainty in my moves. He asked what my purpose is at the building (for security purposes, after all it is a skyscraper... connect the dots for yourself, please). When I said Canadian Consulate, the genetlman pointed at the line of people next to the wall. It was a line of RPC visitors as I found out a second later. He asked me to stand in it immediately and almost forcefully. There were about 15 people standing in the line, some of them children. To show you the amount of control of the man mentioned above... some of the children were tired of standing in the line - when they sat down on the floor (no chairs were provided), the man immediately called out for them to get up! It literally felt like we are all unwanted immigrants in the worst meaning of this word. Not only were we collected in a line, we were almost totally prohibited to move!

At exactly 8am, a lady showed up and started asking everyone from the 1st person in the line what the exect purpose of our visit to RPC was. Then she counter 10 or so people and took them to the elevator. She returned after another 5 minutes and took another group upstairs. So, they are controlling who exactly enters the consulate - don't try to visit Buffalo RPC if you don't have a good reason to. There are two security lines - one, the receptionist (security guard) in the lobby and then the lady from the consulate which meets the visitors downstairs to bring them upstairs only in her company! The elevators are also protected by a security guard, so if you try to bypass any of the above, that guard will stop you.

After I finally landed upstairs (on the 30th floor), I was, like all the others to stand in the line to the appropriate window (only 2 window were open) - one for dropping off passports and the other, I think, for all other visas. When my turn came, I was greeted by a nice lady behind a bullet-proof glass, which took my passport. She verified each passport with what was on her computer. Then she took the pictures, gave me a receipt card with some number and asked to come back "this afternoon" (1:30pm-3pm). That's it.

When I came back at 1pm, the same story with the line in the lobby occured - this time there were about 20 people waiting. I joined them, and the lady from the consulate showed up exactly at 1:30pm to pick us up. Let me mention, however, that I did try to bypass the line and go straight to the elevator. The guard stopped me and asked the purpose - I said picking up the passports and wanting to wait upstairs (there were restrooms and TV there in the consulate). He refused to let me go and said they don't want anyone up there until 1:30pm! So, I went to the line. After getting upstairs accompanied by the same lady, we were aksked to sit down and wait for our number to be called. Mine took about 5 minutes. The same lady from the window handed me my passport with stamped visas (what a sight after 1.5 years!!!!) and asked to verify the names, then gave me some huge papers called Confirmation of PR and asked to verify the dates of birth. After that she said not to sign the papers until landing and packed everything in the sealed envelope. That was it!!! My case was thus over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't show my emotions since a bunch of people were waiting for their turn :-(...

The moral (or two) of the story: ONE - Buffalo CAN stamp visa in one day, TWO - don't go there without a good reason, and even if you have one (like for example discussing your case) - you may be stopped before you get to the Consulate. Hope this helps someone out there. Good luck and take care!

THANKS FOR EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME WITH MY QUESTIONS - that includes our Experts and EVERYONE ELSE!!!!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:38 pm
rax
Forum Regular

rax is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!
Now Im wondering what the timeline-details of your application were. Did you apply as Skilled Worker?
Are your timeline details on yogi799.com (and if so, under what name)

thanks,

regards,
rax
Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:40 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

What an interesting story - very descriptive, great attention to detail, you should become a short story writer. Congratulations,
Ozinca
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Yogi799...all of us at this forum and others owe you a debt of gratitute for all your sincere efforts in helping everyone out by way of advice but also for the inclination and time in creating the Buffalo and New Delhi Tracker. On behalf of all forum members ...Thank You and God Bless. Kevin
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you ALL for your nice words. Amazing how on this beautiful day of me getting the visas, I am also getting these heartwarming posts from all of you. Life can be beautiful.

My timeline is on yogi799.com under "Me".

Good luck to everyone!!! Buffalo is cool!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Thank you ALL for your nice words. Amazing how on this beautiful day of me getting the visas, I am also getting these heartwarming posts from all of you. Life can be beautiful.

My timeline is on yogi799.com under "Me".

Good luck to everyone!!! Buffalo is cool!

Very good website Yogi. Wish you best of Luck.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious to know if you are Indian, and where you intend to settle/land. Please pray for me, i am already in Canada awaiting passport request. Kevin
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

bartM will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

Great news! I wonder if you could you share a few details about your case, like how many countries you lived in? Any family in Canada? Arranged job? I'm just trying to speculate how much time it might take in my case. Man, I just bloody hate waiting

Good luck in Canada!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin and others, of course I will continue thinking about all of you guys. You are the ones who lifted me up spiritually when I was down and was reading the forum in search for relief...

Here are some more details: I am from Poland (Europe, or European Union if someone wishes) visited TONS of countries, but stayed longer than 6 months only in the US (police clearance requested for Poland and USA). Applied at Buffalo as a skilled worker, of course.

One piece of advice I can give those waiting for Initial Assesment. When you get it, do your medicals IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!! Schedule an appointment on the day you get your IA! Do not put this off. I did mine just 2 weeks after IA (the fastest time I and the doctor could meet) and he sent it in just a week later (get a confirmation from doctor, too!!!). So my meds were done Mid May. While I was frustrated waiting for the FBI, my medicals were in progess at Ottawa, which was actually a good thing - because as you see from my timeline, after I finally sent all the documents in beginning of July, it took only THREE WEEKS for passport request. What I deducted from this is that the medical process was completed (or almost completed) and they were only waiting for my papers (whose review and approval is almost instantenous at Buffalo). So do your meds quickly so that they can be approved by the time you manage to send the rest of the documents in.

Of, and you know what? Did I ever say that Buffalo sent me a letter dated July 17 saying "Why haven't you sent in additional documents" although I did, but they didn't open them as of that time. What I got from this, is that if they have time for sending stupid notes of urgency, they must really have too much time on their hands... And I was right... The passport request came just 5 days later...

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:02 pm
Kveldulv

Yogi, but why your case was processed in Buffalo and not in Warsaw ?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

mirekj will become famous soon enoughmirekj will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Case Completed - Visted Buffalo in Person

Hi Kveldulv
I suppose you are Polish. If yes, please share your experience if you applied from Warsaw Office. Can you belive, I am the only one from Warsaw office here and on few other forums. I applied as a skilled worker
MJ
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Madhuba is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Yogi! Good things do happen to good people. Enjoy your life in Canada! Where do you plan on settling?

Madhuba

Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:41 am
Kveldulv

mirekj <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Hi Kveldulv
    > I suppose you are Polish. If yes, please share your experience if you
    > applied from Warsaw Office. Can you belive, I am the only one from
    > Warsaw office here and on few other forums. I applied as a skilled
    > worker

I am Polish of course and also haven't seen any people on forums
trying to immigrate through the embassy in Warsaw. You can find plenty
of information about Buffalo or London but not much about other places
( considering the language on this forum it's not surprise ).

I came to Canada under family class and now my wife's case is in
progress ( and close to finalization, although - as always - delayed
).

I've had a 'pleasure' to be in this embassy on many occasions and my
experience there is not particularly a positive one. Despite
completely souless bureaurocracy ( this can be caused by large number
of appicants of different kinds ) you can't justify in any way the
rudeness of Polish staff working there ( and it is the Polish staff
only that you see in this embassy in person ).

Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

mirekj will become famous soon enoughmirekj will become famous soon enough

Hi Kveldulv
Thanks for post. It is very nice to meet somebody from Poland here.
Now I know 3 Polish men here (except me). But I applied as a skilled worker from warsaw as the one and only !
You are right, people in the Embassy are not so nice, but I hear the same situation from other Consulates too.
Do yu live in Toronto ?
Mirek

Originally Posted by Kveldulv
mirekj <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Hi Kveldulv
    > I suppose you are Polish. If yes, please share your experience if you
    > applied from Warsaw Office. Can you belive, I am the only one from
    > Warsaw office here and on few other forums. I applied as a skilled
    > worker

I am Polish of course and also haven't seen any people on forums
trying to immigrate through the embassy in Warsaw. You can find plenty
of information about Buffalo or London but not much about other places
( considering the language on this forum it's not surprise ).

I came to Canada under family class and now my wife's case is in
progress ( and close to finalization, although - as always - delayed
).

I've had a 'pleasure' to be in this embassy on many occasions and my
experience there is not particularly a positive one. Despite
completely souless bureaurocracy ( this can be caused by large number
of appicants of different kinds ) you can't justify in any way the
rudeness of Polish staff working there ( and it is the Polish staff
only that you see in this embassy in person ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.