Car Import - Taxes

Old Oct 18th 2001, 9:54 pm
Portcullisguy

What port of entry did you land at?

Customs officers are supposed to allow vehicles on the B4 listing of goods to follow,
for the simple reason that the vehicle is goods to follow, even though the method of
import is different.

From what I understand there should be no fees charged for the import, providing the
vehicle qualifies for import under Transport Canada rules. No GST, no A/C surcharge,
no tire tax, no gas guzzler tax, no fees.

However, I have been wrong before, and have never handled a vehicle import (we don't
see too many at the airport). Check with the port of entry where you plan to enter
with the vehicle (look them up in Departmental Memoranda D1-1-1) and with the RIV.
You might get my girlfriend, if you call the RIV...

port...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
have
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
be
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 19th 2001, 12:52 am
Chandra Salem

Hello,

When I landed in Vancouver in June 2001, I listed my car in the list of goods to
follow. However the lady at the Canadian customs struct it off saying that it was a
seperate procedure. If I import this car do I stil have to pay the GST on it when I
cross the border ?? I know the RIV fees and the
A/C surcharge etc.

If indeed I have to pay the GST, how is it calculated. Any response will be
appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Oct 19th 2001, 2:05 pm
Stuart Brook

portcullisguy wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There is the RIV fee.

There is a "deductible" of $10,000 CDN which is duty and GST free if the car is
imported under personal goods for returning residents (I don't know if that applies
to newly landed immigrants). Over that amount duty and taxes are applied. If the car
is manufactured in N. America, it may be eligible for import under NAFTA which makes
it duty free, but you have to pay GST. They will work out what is best.

When you come to register the car in Canada, you may have to pay Provincial sales
tax, and if you go to a province which has a harmonized GST & PST, customs may
collect the PST then.

Old Oct 19th 2001, 2:26 pm
Luterin

>
    >
    >
have
    >
the
    >
    >
Costs involved when "importing" our vehicle (at Landing) were:
- "RIV fee"
- Federal Inspection (at a "designated" garage)

For registration:
- Provincial Inspection
- Vehicle Registration... and, of course, Auto Insurance!

-Lute.

Old Oct 20th 2001, 2:43 am
Rich Wales

Stuart Brook wrote:

> There is the RIV fee.

True.

> There is a "deductible" of $10,000 CDN which is duty and GST free if the car is
> imported under personal goods for return- ing residents (I don't know if that
> applies to newly landed immigrants). Over that amount duty and taxes are
> applied.

To the best of my knowledge, the C$10K deductible limit does NOT apply to "settlers'
effects" being imported by a first-time immigrant. A vehicle being imported as
settlers' effects is free of all duty and taxes -- though the RIV importation charge
does still apply.

> When you come to register the car in Canada, you may have to pay Provincial
> sales tax, . . .

Again, AFAIK, this does not apply if the vehicle is imported as settlers' effects.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.webcom.com/richw/
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.

Old Oct 20th 2001, 12:47 pm
Stephen Gallagher

[usenetquote2]> > What port of entry did you land at?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Customs officers are supposed to allow vehicles on the B4 listing of goods to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > follow, for the simple reason that the vehicle is goods to follow, even though[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the method of import is different.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > From what I understand there should be no fees charged for the import, providing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the vehicle qualifies for import under Transport Canada rules. No GST, no A/C[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > surcharge, no tire tax, no gas guzzler tax, no fees.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Persons coming to reside in Canada for the first time do not have the $10,000 value
limit placed on the goods they import.

>
    >
    >
    >

In general, provinces do not collect PST on vehicles brought into the province,
if the importer had owned and used the vehicle prior to becoming a resident of
that province.

Check with the revenue or motor vehicle licencing agency of the province you're
moving to, in order to confirm what will apply to you.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 6:20 am
Portcullisguy

>

I wasn't even sure on this one, and my gf work for the RIV... haha...

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

As I found out earlier on this ng, the $10,000 does not apply, ever, to settlers.
Only returning residents.

>
    >
    >

It is entirely possible that you are correct on that account. And, of course, Quebec
doesn't have GST, i thas TVQ or whatever they call it ... same thing, different name.

port...

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 3:03 pm
Stuart Brook

portcullisguy wrote:

>
[usenetquote2]>>There is the RIV fee.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

The only times the RIV fee does NOT apply and you don't have to go through the RIV
process is if the car was previously registered in Canada and you have documentary
proof of that (i.e. the car was originally sold in Canada or previously formally
imported to Canada and then exported again!) and of course for temporary informal
importation like a visitor.

Stuart

Old Oct 23rd 2001, 10:43 am
Stephen C. Gallagher

[usenetquote2]> > When you come to register the car in Canada, you may have to pay Provincial sales[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > tax, and if you go to a province which has a harmonized GST & PST, customs may[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > collect the PST then.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

I don't know who told you that Quebec doesn't have GST, but they're wrong. The GST
applies in Quebec, as it does in every province - except the provinces which have HST
(a blended version of PST and GST).

They also have TVQ which is the French abbreviation for Quebec Sales Tax. The
abbreviation for GST (Goods and Services Tax) in French is TPS (taxe sur les produits
et services).

Stephen Gallagher

Old Oct 25th 2001, 2:47 am
Portcullisguy

-----snip----- I looked at the photos that Nabeel sent. They look like Child Tether
Anchorages(CTA) BUT looks can be deceiving. The Transport Canada Admissibility list
is voluntary information provided by the US manufaturers. In other words, they tell
us how their cars are built. If the admissibility list says that the specific vehicle
in question requires CTA mods, it is because the manufacturer has stated that not all
the vehicles of that model, year etc.. were originally built with CTA. So, in
Nabeel's case, it looks like his vehicle was originally equipped with them but what
he should do is call the US manufacturer to obtain a letter stating that (make sure
the letter includes his VIN + must be on their letterhead -we will accept a fax
copy). The reason for the letter is.. 1) so that he makes sure the the CTA meet
Canadian safety standards (just because a vehicle was built with them does not mean
they were built to Canadian specification.) 2)to avoid the hassel at the inspection
center. Volkwagen USA can be reached at 800-822-8987 or 248-340-5000. When he calls
them to obtain the CTA cetification he should also obtain all the recall clearance
information. (the same letter is fine)
PS: RIV is located @ 405 the west mall, 5th floor (not the 9th - i don't know who's
up there!)

From: "portcullisguy" To: Subject: FW: Goods to follow: Car Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001
01:14:44 -0400

I dunno a tethered anchorage from a tether ball, any chance you could help?

When you send you're reply I'll strip your address from the message and just send
your answer...

Thanks!

Ray -----------snip-----------

The above response came from my gf at the RIV. There you have it, a manufacturer's
letter showing the VIN and the company's letterhead and stating that the vehicle
is/is not equipped, as described above.

Hope that helps Nabeel....

port...